Android Hardware decoding - supported platrorms
Hi,

My previous hardware was on Mediatek - no hw video decoding. Now, my tablet is on Rockchip - no hardware decoding. My phone OnePlus one is Snapdragon, hw decoding seems to be not working. Is there any faq/doc etc where I can find any info about supported platforms or any other limitations for hw decoding on Android with Kodi?
Go to system then settings then select Video on the bottom right of the pop up you will see Settings Level, By default it's set as standard click on that setting until it changes to advanced or expert. Then go back up and you will see a new section is there " Acceleration" select that and you will see the H/W Accl modules.
It's not what am I asking... I can always enable hw acceleration but it does not work, even if enabled. So I'm looking for clean explanation for what hardware it is supported.
You need to ask the hardware manufacturers if they implemented the android mediacodec api in their firmware. This is nothing anyone here can answer.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
There is this page: Android hardware (wiki)

That is just user reported data, and won't account for funky firmware or other weird situations.
(2014-10-24, 17:16)Ned Scott Wrote: There is this page: Android hardware (wiki)

That is just user reported data, and won't account for funky firmware or other weird situations.

From my experience Mediatek and RK3188 don't work with Kodi for H264. I will chceck my logs to confirm, but according to your wiki, RK3188 should work and it works with any other player. But not Kodi. Mediatek is actually crap, but I'm interested in Rockchip and 4k h264 and hevc

Antutu test result:
I've actually got a little cheap RK3188 stick, and it seems to use hardware video decoding for h.264 just fine. It doesn't seem to do MPEG2, but that seems to be the norm for most SoC/firmware other than AMLogic (which, IIRC, requires using MediaCodec? I think). It's one of the few devices I can actually confirm myself :)

That being said, if there are issues, maybe with some firmware or some types of h.264 profiles, that would still be good to know and note on the page.
I tested 4k dci h264 recorded with Oneplus One. The result is very poor, slideshow instead of movie, 11 fps. Can you determine if hardware decoding was used? Of course, the same file plays good with system player, mx player etc. Xbmc is the only player having problems with this file.

Debug log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=327654
(2014-10-25, 12:57)giaur Wrote: I tested 4k dci h264 recorded with Oneplus One. The result is very poor, slideshow instead of movie, 11 fps. Can you determine if hardware decoding was used? Of course, the same file plays good with system player, mx player etc. Xbmc is the only player having problems with this file.

Debug log:

Mediacodec, 4K videos work fine on Rockchip RK3288 devices with Kodi.
Stagefright, 1080p videos work fine with RK3188 and SPMC build of XBMC, not with Kodi.

That file you played uses Mediacodec, what device was that on, since it doesn't support Mediacodec correctly, Samsung phone or Rockchip tablet with Samsung device ID?
Did you only enable Mediacodec and disable Stagefright?
Pipo p1 tablet, not samsung. I changed device id to improve compatibility, so don't look at names. I am really out of luck, every device I buy, always xbmc have some problems with it. I don't care if it's mediacodec fault or anything else. Facts: xbmc has problems, any other player - not.

Oneplus one is on Snapdragon and it displays slideshow too in kodi/4k. I'm not so sure that every device is bad and kodi is good. I have never seen fully working hw decoding in xbmc/kodi. Sorry.

If mediacodec causes probleme, why didn't you make hw decoding the same way as all other players? Google gallery works and it's open source so it should be clear how to implement it.
(2014-10-25, 14:45)giaur Wrote: Pipo p1 tablet, not samsung. I changed device id to improve compatibility, so don't look at names. I am really out of luck, every device I buy, always xbmc have some problems with it. I don't care if it's mediacodec fault or anything else. Facts: xbmc has problems, any other player - not.

Oneplus one is on Snapdragon and it displays slideshow too in kodi/4k. I'm not so sure that every device is bad and kodi is good. I have never seen fully working hw decoding in xbmc/kodi. Sorry.

If mediacodec causes probleme, why didn't you make hw decoding the same way as all other players? Google gallery works and it's open source so it should be clear how to implement it.

You need to ask Pipo for updated firmware after 15 October 2014, since Rockchip bundles their own Kodi with external player support or Kodi Alpha 4 with Mediacodec support and 4K videos play perfect.
I tested kodi alpha 5 so newer verion
(2014-10-25, 12:57)giaur Wrote: I tested 4k dci h264 recorded with Oneplus One. The result is very poor, slideshow instead of movie, 11 fps. Can you determine if hardware decoding was used? Of course, the same file plays good with system player, mx player etc. Xbmc is the only player having problems with this file.

Debug log:

Ah, that's 4k, that's a different issue. 4k support, even for v14 Helix, should be considered experimental as far as XBMC/Kodi is concerned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware decoding - supported platrorms0