Can I make MySQL readonly?
I have a master client that updates my library.

I will shortly be experimenting with having another Raspberry PI (Gotham 13.2) accessing the library.

I plan to move the library db into MySQL and point both devices at it.

As it will be my neighbour next door watching the other unit, I do not wish to give them the ability to write back to the MySQL database.

If I make the DB readonly, will this cause major problems? Or can it work in this way?

Thanks

Note - the DB would be readonly ONLY for the other user, not for the master box which will have full write access (to actually update the library etc)
Yeah you can. You can just grant select privileges to the Pi user which means they can only browse the db, not write to it.

However, this may cause issues as the Pi will want write access because of watched status, play count, last played etc. I'm unsure whether Gotham would handle this gracefully or if it would lead to a crash Huh

I'd suggest not giving them a copy of your sources.xml, which means only your machine can actually add anything to the library. This doesn't stop the Pi from deleting entries though Sad

However, you could disable most if not all of that, by locking down the settings, and then running a skin in kiosk mode. You can also include a <guisettings> tag in your advancedsettings.xml. Any settings you define in here are automatically used by xbmc, and the corresponding menu option is removed from the settings GUI. See Advancedsettings.xml (wiki) in the wiki for more info.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I make MySQL readonly?0