Linux new Kodi nightly will not autostart on xbmcbuntu
I have a old install of XBMCbuntu based on Ubuntu 12.04 that I just upgrade nightlies on but with todays upgrade that is my first since the package names in the repo changed from xbmc to kodi nothing auto loads anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew where the scripts are that I could try to edit to point to kodi instead of xbmc.

Currently just turning on the media center ends with X failing to start and just showing some boot info from when it was booting.
I have tried symlinking xbmc to kodi and xbmc-standalone to kodi-standalone hoping the startup scripts just needed the old names but that didn't work.

I can get into Kodi and have it working if from my laptop I SSH in, and in one terminal run
"sudo X" to start a plain X server
then in another terminal I run
export DISPLAY=:0 && kodi-standalone

That leaves me with a working Kodi session.

Notes I don't want to upgrade the base system because newer kernels break my lirc remote, a thing I spent 6 months trying to get around before but couldn't. Plus over the years I have a massive amount of other home server stuff setup that I don't want to re-setup.
/usr/bin/startxbmcbuntu is your starting point, some more files are due to be changed...
Thanks I'll start to look into that file. I did notice another issue that sort of helped me in the end. Apparently my root partition had ended up full so that is whyI wasn't even getting a display manager login. When I cleared up a little space I get to a login screen which means I just have to figure out how to point at kodi now.

It's just hard for me since other then looking for references to xbmc and xbmc-standalone I'm not sure what I should be looking for. But it has to be other stuff or else it would work already with my symlinks.
There's a lot of spaghetti between startxbmcsession and actually launching xbmc. I ended up working backwards from the errors in /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log instead.

Here's what I ended up doing (on xbmcbuntu 14.04)

1. ensure you've installed all kodi packages. apt-get dist-upgrade seems to miss some, run 'apt-cache search kodi' to get the full list.
2. when you've got it right, kodi.desktop should exist in /usr/share/xsessions
3. # sudo vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
- line 5: update 'user-session=XBMC' to 'user-session=kodi'
4. # /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

In my case this brings up Kodi with all my existing setting/plug-ins. It should come up on reboot now.
(2014-10-26, 00:53)schmoko Wrote: There's a lot of spaghetti between startxbmcsession and actually launching xbmc. I ended up working backwards from the errors in /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log instead.

Here's what I ended up doing (on xbmcbuntu 14.04)

1. ensure you've installed all kodi packages. apt-get dist-upgrade seems to miss some, run 'apt-cache search kodi' to get the full list.
2. when you've got it right, kodi.desktop should exist in /usr/share/xsessions
3. # sudo vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
- line 5: update 'user-session=XBMC' to 'user-session=kodi'
4. # /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

In my case this brings up Kodi with all my existing setting/plug-ins. It should come up on reboot now.

Thanks that was really informative. I was lucky and already had the kodi.desktop so I just made the lightdm.conf change but it didn't work and the lightdm.log still said it was trying to load XBMC.desktop
So I just created a symlink and now it works fine and starts

sudo ln -s /usr/share/xsessions/kodi.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/XBMC.desktop

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new Kodi nightly will not autostart on xbmcbuntu0