firstly, very noob with *nix

History;

fresh install of ubuntu 14.04, and graphics device detected as ;

Code:
lspci | grep VGA
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200EV

but settings showed using

Code:
Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)

so, after some googling, added this,
xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eR2"
        Driver "vesa"
        Option "OldDmaInit" "True"
EndSection

and for the most part, the desktop environment handles as expected.

but, kodi nightly 25 oct runs poorly, and logs show, kodi as using same "Gallium" drivers as previously was the case with xorg/ubuntu desktop.

Debug Log

Many thanks in advance,
Dam0
There is no other driver for your Matrox. That thingy is soo stone old, what do you expect? Kodi needs OpenGL acceleration.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
no worries. thx for the quick and honest response:-)

to be honest, i just "acquired" this ibm server case/mb etc, and was in the process of installing an OS to see what was in the box and could be re-used without getting M$ back onto it, and once i managed to stumble across the xorg.conf fix, thought id try my luck with xbmc/kodi...

the graphics is onboard on this server, so doesnt really suprise me its openGL is non-existant.

if i decide to use this huge case/MB for media playback, ill drop the 65 AUD and get video card.

thx once again,
Dam0
Get nvidia, seriously don't consider anything else.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong Graphics Driver detected with ubuntu 14.040