[Solved]New Kodi (XBMC) User Questions
Hello All! I'm new to XBMC and have a few questions I hope you can help with. My setup is Linux Mint 17, XBMC 13.2, MythTV .27 - all other settings are currently stock. But some things are bothering me. I use XBMC almost exclusively for PVR and Live TV -- it will be my last straw in giving up my windows environment.

1. When I view the Live TV EPG guide, after 10-20 seconds the guide randomly (most but not all the time) goes blank. A couple of people over on the AVS forum said they have the same problem. Can this be fixed?
2. I am using windowed mode, is there a way to stay windowed but go full-screen when wanted and still retain the windowed functionality?
3. Recording 30 minute shows for example yields 42 minute recordings - I would prefer +/- 1 or 2 minutes ala WMC. Would like my recordings to fit the programs play time. (EX: 2 x 30 minute shows back to back; the first show records 12 minutes into the second. This leaves me skipping around to find out where I'm at && wasting my second tuner - many times I'll want to record a second show during that hour on another channel)
4.I'm not familiar with the skin changes && the stock one looks good to me. But I would like it if on the Live TV EPG the scrolling didn't scroll the time line but the channels instead... (Generally when watching TV I'm only using my mouse - at a distance from the keyboard)
1. last time I used Myth with an XBMC PVR setup, I didn't see any EPG issues like this, but it was a while ago (with v13.2, I think). We'd need more details on this and preferably a debug log (wiki) of when the issue happens.

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. Can you elaborate?

3. I believe this is set by MythTV and can be changed on the MythTV backend.

4. You should be able to make a mouse.xml file and change the action for the EPG window and mouse scroll buttons. See keymaps (wiki). Offhand, I'm not sure if this just needs to be tied to up/down or page up/page down.
(2014-10-25, 20:26)buzzbored Wrote: Hello All! I'm new to XBMC and have a few questions I hope you can help with. My setup is Linux Mint 17, XBMC 13.2, MythTV .27 - all other settings are currently stock. But some things are bothering me. I use XBMC almost exclusively for PVR and Live TV -- it will be my last straw in giving up my windows environment.

1. When I view the Live TV EPG guide, after 10-20 seconds the guide randomly (most but not all the time) goes blank. A couple of people over on the AVS forum said they have the same problem. Can this be fixed?
2. I am using windowed mode, is there a way to stay windowed but go full-screen when wanted and still retain the windowed functionality?
3. Recording 30 minute shows for example yields 42 minute recordings - I would prefer +/- 1 or 2 minutes ala WMC. Would like my recordings to fit the programs play time. (EX: 2 x 30 minute shows back to back; the first show records 12 minutes into the second. This leaves me skipping around to find out where I'm at && wasting my second tuner - many times I'll want to record a second show during that hour on another channel)
4.I'm not familiar with the skin changes && the stock one looks good to me. But I would like it if on the Live TV EPG the scrolling didn't scroll the time line but the channels instead... (Generally when watching TV I'm only using my mouse - at a distance from the keyboard)

1. Never seen this before and I use mythtv 0.27 and Gotham. As Ned says, a debug log (wiki) - also is this skin dependent? What pvr addon are you using?

2. Why?

3. Backend settings, there is a default setting and per recording rule settings.

4. Xbmc is designed to be used from your sofa with a remote. Press left and right to scroll timeline and up/down to scroll channels.

PS if your main aim is pvr/livetv, use mythfrontend?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thank You for the responses.
1. I'm using confluence (I believe) the stock/default skin. I'm using the MythTV cmyth PVR Client 1.9.16 from Mint's repositories. I don't know if it is skin dependent since It's the only one that I have tried and like the look of it. I will turn on the debug logging and post it after I've reproduced the error.
2. (Why? Elaborate) I just mean to go fullscreen like double-clicking on vlc. By fullscreen I mean to cover the taskbar - to actually use all the screen. I do want windowing though, it isn't a dedicated HTPC.
3. I'll check the backend on this - ThankYou
4. I do have a WMC remote (came with Hauppauge 2250 card) but haven't set it up and don't know where it is. I haven't used it in awhile, for years a mouse worked just fine with WMC and with vlc/smplayer, guess I'm just used to mouse only when on the couch. I'll look into mouse.xml file and see if I can get that to work.
PS. - I didn't like the look of the MythTV frontend && it wasn't mouse friendly.

I appreciate your time Ned Scott && Nickr.
(2014-10-26, 00:46)Ned Scott Wrote: 1. last time I used Myth with an XBMC PVR setup, I didn't see any EPG issues like this, but it was a while ago (with v13.2, I think). We'd need more details on this and preferably a debug log (wiki) of when the issue happens.

2. I'm not sure I understand this question. Can you elaborate?

3. I believe this is set by MythTV and can be changed on the MythTV backend.

4. You should be able to make a mouse.xml file and change the action for the EPG window and mouse scroll buttons. See keymaps (wiki). Offhand, I'm not sure if this just needs to be tied to up/down or page up/page down.

Is this what you meant mouse.xml && is EPG label correct.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<keymap>
<!-- I'm not sure how xmbc takes this "the label, EPG etc." -->
<EPG>
<mouse>
<wheelup>PageUp</wheelup>
<wheeldown>PageDown</wheeldown>
</mouse>
</EPG>
</keymap>
2. Ah I see. You should be able to just toggle the window/full screen mode by pressing the "\" key on your keyboard. I think that will do what you want.

4. Basically, you follow the same instructions you'll see in the "101 on keymaps" but using the mouse.xml file: http://kodi.wiki/view/Keymap#101_on_keymaps and https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xbmc/x.../mouse.xml

You'll make your own mouse.xml file where you make wheeldown/up into something else, like "PageUp" and "PageDown"

It should look like this, which you can cut and paste into a new plain text document that is saved as "mouse.xml" under userdata (wiki)/keymaps:

Code:

<!--  Button Ids:                                                                             -->
<!--    0: left                                                                               -->
<!--    1: right                                                                              -->
<!--    2: middle                                                                             -->
<!--    3/4: extra                                                                            -->

<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>leftclick</leftclick>
      <rightclick>rightclick</rightclick>
      <middleclick>middleclick</middleclick>
      <doubleclick id="0">doubleclick</doubleclick>
      <longclick id="0">contextmenu</longclick>

<wheeldown>pagedown</wheeldown>
      <wheelup>pageup</wheelup>
      <mousedrag>mousedrag</mousedrag>
      <mousemove>mousemove</mousemove>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>Pause</leftclick>
      <rightclick>PreviousMenu</rightclick>
      <wheelup>PreviousPicture</wheelup>
      <wheeldown>NextPicture</wheeldown>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

or, we can make this specific to just the EPG window, but this requires a v14 development build (wiki):

Code:

<!--  Button Ids:                                                                             -->
<!--    0: left                                                                               -->
<!--    1: right                                                                              -->
<!--    2: middle                                                                             -->
<!--    3/4: extra                                                                            -->

<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>leftclick</leftclick>
      <rightclick>rightclick</rightclick>
      <middleclick>middleclick</middleclick>
      <doubleclick id="0">doubleclick</doubleclick>
      <longclick id="0">contextmenu</longclick>

<wheeldown>wheeldown</wheeldown>
      <wheelup>wheelup</wheelup>
      <mousedrag>mousedrag</mousedrag>
      <mousemove>mousemove</mousemove>
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <tvguide>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </tvguide>
  <SlideShow>
    <mouse>
      <leftclick>Pause</leftclick>
      <rightclick>PreviousMenu</rightclick>
      <wheelup>PreviousPicture</wheelup>
      <wheeldown>NextPicture</wheeldown>
    </mouse>
  </SlideShow>
</keymap>

I haven't tried these, but I think they should work.

EDIT: ah, just saw your other post. That's pretty close. See my examples above for the actual window ID, "<tvguide>"

Oh, and I just had a thought. You can probably replace "tvguide" with "pvr" and then example 2 should work for v13.2.
One great way to look at your recording rules is via mythweb.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks Ned Scott - One want checked off of my list.
Code:

<keymap>
  <pvr>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </pvr>
</keymap>
This worked perfectly.
I really appreciate the time taken for a xbmc newb!

-- \ is what I was looking for. Now how to map it to the middle button on my mouse (there is a scroll wheel and seperate button)? I didn't see a reference to this (\) on the keymap wiki.
Something like this added to the mouse.xml code:
Code:
<global>
    <mouse>
      <middleclick>"WhatHere"</middleclick>

</mouse>
  </global>
-- As for the backend and logging that will have to wait until later - I'm recording this evening.
While I haven't figured out how to get a mouse button to change to fullscreen. "/" on the keyboard does work without having to go into XBMC's menu to adjust. AND my program guide does randomly disappear still, the major problems have been resolved. These are the changes made - thank you for your help.

1. Making an mouse.xml file with the following code fixed the scrolling across the time line and allows me to scroll the channels instead.
Code:

<keymap>
  <pvr>
    <mouse>
    </mouse>
  </pvr>
</keymap>

2. To fix the recording time (It was recording 42min on 30min show for example). I altered the guisettings.xml file in ~.xbmc/userdata. This is the pertinent code.
Code:
<pvrrecord>
        <defaultlifetime default="true">99</defaultlifetime>
        <defaultpriority default="true">50</defaultpriority>
        <instantrecordtime default="true">120</instantrecordtime>
        <marginend>3</marginend>  <!-- This was changed from 10 to 3 -->
        <marginstart>2</marginstart>  <!-- This was changed from 3 to 2 -->
        <timernotifications default="true">true</timernotifications>
    </pvrrecord>
Now the recordings are just 5 min longer than the allotted time frame. unless recordings are back to back, then the system rules will apply. I haven't made any changes to those.
Thanks to Nickr and Ted Scott - I got through all wants and fixes to Kodi (XBMC). These weren't big issues but they were an issue for me in giving up Win7 && WMC.
1. The disappearing Guide - Just needed an update (not sure what it was) but the problem hasn't replicated since... [fingers crossed]

2,3,and 4. Were all cured with the following changes.
A mouse.xml file that looked like this:
Code:

<keymap>
  <global>
    <mouse>
      <middleclick>togglefullscreen</middleclick><!--This takes from windowed to non-windowed w/middle click-->
    </mouse>
  </global>
  <pvr>
    <mouse>
      <wheeldown>down</wheeldown><!--here up/down scrolls guide channels like in WMC and not accross the timeline-->
      <wheelup>up</wheelup>
    </mouse>
  </pvr>

</keymap>
AND these changes to ~.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml -- this changed my recording duration so there wasn't so much overhead 5min now was 15min.
Code:
<pvrrecord>
        <defaultlifetime default="true">99</defaultlifetime>
        <defaultpriority default="true">50</defaultpriority>
        <instantrecordtime default="true">120</instantrecordtime>
        <marginend>3</marginend>  <!-- This was changed from 10 to 3 -->
        <marginstart>2</marginstart>  <!-- This was changed from 3 to 2 -->
        <timernotifications default="true">true</timernotifications>
    </pvrrecord>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved]New Kodi (XBMC) User Questions0