Picking a Remote
Really need help picking a remote to use with XBMC in Openelec on Intel NUC N2820
Have seen the following that i like.

1. RT-MWK25 2.4Ghz
2. Full-tivo-slide-remote
3. Rii Mini i25
4. QNAP RM-IR002 (would like this one as most similar to Apple TV2)
5. XBOX One Remote

Are any of these RC6 compatible.?
Will they work with Openelec on the NUC.?
The ones that have Air Mouse, can that part be turned off & still work with Openelec.?
Do they work out of the box or do i need to edit an xml file.?
Tivo Slide Pro looks like a god-level remote. I really like the looks of it, and I recall Tivo being logical and comfortable with their remotes (for a lack of better words). I'm just not sure about spending $50 for one, though.

I think the Xbox One remote is RC6 compatible, and looks like one of the nicer minimal remotes out there. I'm also a big fan of the Xbox 360 black slim media remote (I have three of those), and those are also RC6 compatible. I believe both work on the NUC's internal IR receiver.

In my experience, keyboards on a remote is often "not worth it". I've tried many keyboard/remote combos, and either I end up not needing to type in the keyboard very often, and would rather have gotten a remote with a better layout of the more common buttons

and/or

using these thumb-keyboards wasn't drastically faster than the on-screen keyboard and are sometimes frustrating to use.

If you want to go this route, get a keyboard/remote with a backlight on the keys. Also, consider just using a remote that has a numberpad, as you can use T9/sms-style text entry, which works very well once you're used to it.

I've also grown to distrust the various Rii remotes. They're not bad on paper, but often seem to have some weird quirk that makes no sense. Like their keyboard remotes where the keyboard is RF, but the remote side forces you to use IR with no RF option. That might not be an issue for some people. There's been other weird stuff as well, but it's normally obvious, such as weird design choices. Some of them are probably fine, I guess.
(2014-10-26, 07:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Tivo Slide Pro looks like a god-level remote. I really like the looks of it, and I recall Tivo being logical and comfortable with their remotes (for a lack of better words). I'm just not sure about spending $50 for one, though.

I think the Xbox One remote is RC6 compatible, and looks like one of the nicer minimal remotes out there. I'm also a big fan of the Xbox 360 black slim media remote (I have three of those), and those are also RC6 compatible. I believe both work on the NUC's internal IR receiver.

In my experience, keyboards on a remote is often "not worth it". I've tried many keyboard/remote combos, and either I end up not needing to type in the keyboard very often, and would rather have gotten a remote with a better layout of the more common buttons

and/or

using these thumb-keyboards wasn't drastically faster than the on-screen keyboard and are sometimes frustrating to use.

If you want to go this route, get a keyboard/remote with a backlight on the keys. Also, consider just using a remote that has a numberpad, as you can use T9/sms-style text entry, which works very well once you're used to it.

I've also grown to distrust the various Rii remotes. They're not bad on paper, but often seem to have some weird quirk that makes no sense. Like their keyboard remotes where the keyboard is RF, but the remote side forces you to use IR with no RF option. That might not be an issue for some people. There's been other weird stuff as well, but it's normally obvious, such as weird design choices. Some of them are probably fine, I guess.

Many thnaks for your reply. Yeah, spending $50 is a bit much for a remote. I eventually went for the XBOX one remote. Hope it does what i need.
Even thought about getting the QNAP remote similar to the Apple just to try it out, but still cannot find out if its RC6 compatible
What about the MELE F10 Remotes? Any good?
Devices
- NAS: Synology DS212, 6TB, MySQL
- HTPC: Intel NUC N2830, 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, SSD, Win 7 & OpenElec (dual boot) / Kodi 15.2
- PC: Lenovo M92P, 3.2ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10 / Kodi 17.4
- Laptop: Acer 5750G, 2.9ghz, 8GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10 / Kodi 15.2

(2014-10-26, 09:15)flekz Wrote: What about the MELE F10 Remotes? Any good?

i have seen reviews and not great more that 6ft away. Not sure if it was RC6 compatible
Dont know if the Air Remote part can be turned off.
thanks for replying.

don't know if this is correct way to display the link. but can anyone advise if this remote is RC6 compatible

Code:
http://www.ballicom.co.uk/rmir002-ir-remote-control-various-models.p1086746.html

If not can admin adjust/alter it. thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picking a Remote0