xbmc tv box+ wd my cloud
I am hoping someone here can give me some advice on a purchase I would like to make. I am looking for a tv box with xbmc that will also work with wd my cloud app. The reason being that I want to stream the videos from my wd my book live hard drive on my tv. If someone could suggest a tv box on which both xbmc and the wd my cloud app works it would greatly be appreciated.
Amazon Fire TV (wiki). You can sideload both XBMC/Kodi and the WD My Cloud Android app on there. You can also do this with just about any other Android-based box, such as those from OUYA, MiniX, Pivos, Tronsmart, Geniatech, Nvidia, Google, ODROID, etc (see Android Hardware (wiki)).
I suggest VidOn Box.
Actually, you don't need to use "WD My Cloud App", you can play the movie which is on your WD Mybook Live via SMB or UPnP.
(2014-10-26, 02:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Amazon Fire TV (wiki). You can sideload both XBMC/Kodi and the WD My Cloud Android app on there. You can also do this with just about any other Android-based box, such as those from OUYA, MiniX, Pivos, Tronsmart, Geniatech, Nvidia, Google, ODROID, etc (see Android Hardware (wiki)).

Would this mean that a box like Roku 3 would also be an option for me?
(2014-10-27, 01:48)TerminHater Wrote:
(2014-10-26, 02:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Amazon Fire TV (wiki). You can sideload both XBMC/Kodi and the WD My Cloud Android app on there. You can also do this with just about any other Android-based box, such as those from OUYA, MiniX, Pivos, Tronsmart, Geniatech, Nvidia, Google, ODROID, etc (see Android Hardware (wiki)).

No.

Another thing, if you're streaming on your local network you don't need to, nor would you want to use the My Cloud app to stream your files. You just need to access the My Book via SMP or NFS from XBMC/Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-10-27, 02:23)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-10-27, 01:48)TerminHater Wrote:

No.

Another thing, if you're streaming on your local network you don't need to, nor would you want to use the My Cloud app to stream your files. You just need to access the My Book via SMP or NFS from XBMC/Kodi.

I appreciate all the feedback but I am really just new at this. I have no idea what an SMP or NFS is. As of right now I installed Kodi on my laptop and it works great. I just wanted a simple way to stream the videos I have on WD live book to my tv via a tv box and hoping that box would include kodi.Thought this would be a whole more simple then it is. Guess the simplest way might be for me to buy a WD media player tv box and hope for the best as far as getting kodi on it. Still want to thank everyone that took the time to answer my post.
You can't get Kodi on the WD TV. The WD TV is a good device and plays pretty much anything but the navigation on it is pretty slow. It will work with your WD NAS.

The Fire TV is a good choice and it is not hard at all to install Kodi on it and make it work with your NAS (WD MyBook Live). Don't be intimidated by the thought of having to sideload an app. Also you don't need the My Cloud app to be able to stream the content from it to WD TV or Kodi on FTV.
(2014-10-27, 21:21)TerminHater Wrote: I appreciate all the feedback but I am really just new at this. I have no idea what an SMP or NFS is. As of right now I installed Kodi on my laptop and it works great. I just wanted a simple way to stream the videos I have on WD live book to my tv via a tv box and hoping that box would include kodi.Thought this would be a whole more simple then it is. Guess the simplest way might be for me to buy a WD media player tv box and hope for the best as far as getting kodi on it. Still want to thank everyone that took the time to answer my post.

Well, you're still going to have to setup a WD media player to connect to your My Book Live, just as you would with Kodi (either SMB or NFS, although you can also use DLNA/UPnP but I don't recommend it).

SMB and NFS are both network share protocals. SMB (Samba) is Windows share and NFS is Linux share, the My Book Live is capable of either.

Adding a SMB share would be the easiest for you. All you have to do is follow these instructions: http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources, but select "Windows Share (SMB)" and then select your device (the name of your My Book Live), select the folder you want to add.

And as I said, you have to do the same thing on a WD Media Player to add the share to it's media library.

As z31fanatic said, WD media players will play most any files (I have 4), but they are not very powerful and fairly slow compared to something like the Fire TV w/Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I just went under Video in Files and did a media search and added Mybook Live there. so easy on my Amazon Fire and my G-Box MX2 Dual Core XBMC Android 4.2, so you can simply use any box with XBMC is my thoughts, Im a rookie and it was easy for me
(2014-10-26, 18:23)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: I suggest VidOn Box.
Posts like those from staff of VidOn.me in a thread not about your player hardware can only be classified as spam!
(2014-10-26, 01:57)TerminHater Wrote: I am hoping someone here can give me some advice on a purchase I would like to make. I am looking for a tv box with xbmc that will also work with wd my cloud app. The reason being that I want to stream the videos from my wd my book live hard drive on my tv. If someone could suggest a tv box on which both xbmc and the wd my cloud app works it would greatly be appreciated.

Quote:Posts like those from staff of VidOn.me in a thread not about your player hardware can only be classified as spam!

VidOn Box is an XBMC TV Box, and will work with WD My Book Live. Why not let him know? Just because my username contains "VidOn.me"?
I think you won't be like this if someone other post what I post.

Everyone can recommend some XBMC TV boxes, you don't think they are spammers just because their username don't contain certain brand?
Thank you for all the help and replies. I have ordered an Amazon fire tv today and will try my hand at loading xbmc on it and follow the step by step so stream my WD live book through it.

hi i have my rasberry box and i want to be able to access all my videos and music on it when away from home ie on holiday is there a link or anything i can add to the box so i can view it on kodi on rasbery pi2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc tv box+ wd my cloud0