OS X Open in new fullscreen desktop rather than default desktop
When I first installed xbmc, it would open fullscreen in a new desktop (in the same way as iTunes and Firefox do, for example). This would actually appear to the left of the default desktop (by this I mean that I would have to swipe four fingers right to go back to the desktop; most applications when in a fullscreen window open to the right of the desktop).

However, I've done something (and I don't know what - I think it was just toggling windowed mode!) that means xbmc now opens as a fullscreen application on the default desktop window, rather than on a new desktop like it used to.

The question is: Is there any way of me getting it back to the way it used to be?!

Sorry if this is vague. I know there was a fullscreen and fakefullscreen setting but all that used to do was turn the screen black, and on latest version (13.2) I don't believe it even exists. Have trawled through the settings and searched forums for a long time but to no avail. Also tried deleting the guisettings.xml but that didn't work (am not sure if this is a mac osx setting or a xbmc setting i'm looking for)

Any help with this would be warmly received,
Many thanks
Andrew
As far as I know, XBMC has always gone fullscreen on your main desktop/space. There is work being done for the future to open in a new space as full screen, but current versions don't have that yet.
Thanks Ned, that's a very helpful (and prompt!) reply, cheers.
It did seem strange to me that it opened fullscreen in a space to the left (where the widgets are on OSX 10.8), but I am 100% positive it did. Was actually a really nice feature as it was kept running separate from all other apps. Oh well! I guess it must have just been some kind of glitch for me (fwiw, running 10.8.5, early 2011 macbook pro 13", and i forget exact build of xbmc but i think it was installed on may 4th this year with stable build download from main site.)
Thanks again
Andrew
As Ned said we don't support the osx fullscreen mode (introduced in 10.7 yet). Maybe you could manually add an empty desktop to the left and then start XBMC on that one? Not sure if this will be remembered somehow then by osx.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-10-29, 13:14)Memphiz Wrote: As Ned said we don't support the osx fullscreen mode (introduced in 10.7 yet). Maybe you could manually add an empty desktop to the left and then start XBMC on that one? Not sure if this will be remembered somehow then by osx.

This is the way I do it now. In order to assign Kodi to a specific (its own) desktop just create a new desktop in the Spaces overview, then open Kodi on that newly created desktop. Now change to windowed mode (otherwise you can't access the Dock), right-click on Kodi's Dock icon and choose "options - assign to - this desktop" (or similar, I roughly translated from German). Now you can go back to fullscreen mode. Now, whenever you open Kodi, no matter from which desktop, OS X will switch to that desktop.
In order to have it to your left just drag it there from the Spaces overview. You might want to select "arrange Spaces manually" in System Preferences for this to stick.

(Now, if I could get OS X to always put that desktop on the TV when I connect the HDMI cord I would be very happy, but this seems non-trivial, it also forgets where other desktops and fullscreen apps were the last time...)
Spot on, thanks!
This does work, and I think I actually made it "unwork" at first when I was trying to get it displayed via HDMI (you have to choose Fullscreen 2 from the output, rather than windowed; I selected Windowed...)

Really helpful posts guys, much appreciated
(2014-11-19, 12:00)luxybaby Wrote: Spot on, thanks!
This does work, and I think I actually made it "unwork" at first when I was trying to get it displayed via HDMI (you have to choose Fullscreen 2 from the output, rather than windowed; I selected Windowed...)

Really helpful posts guys, much appreciated

Great that it worked for you!
In the meantime I got Mavericks to display Kodi always on the TV when it's connected AND on the same space, but on the main screen when unplugged. Sadly for you this requires assigning it to a space that is NOT the leftmost on the TV. That way, this space comes back to the main screen when unplugged. When connected I selected Fullscreen2 in Kodi, after assigning it to that space on the TV. You may not touch this setting again when the HDMI cord is unplugged. At least it works that way in Yosemite for me.
Just for the information for anyone who, like me, uses Kodi both on a TV and sometimes on another screen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Open in new fullscreen desktop rather than default desktop0