Win Sharing from NAS that is connected via LAN
Hi,

I recently swapped all my media from external drives to a NAS but its connected to my PC via an Ethernet cable. I.e its not connected to my router (Its a shared house and the router is in someone else's room).

The drives in the NAS are mapped to my pc and also accessible via a network address:

B:\Television
or
\\DLINK-8B2C8D\Television

From windows explorer the files can be accessed fine.

I can't find a way to access them via the xbmc client that is running on the PC connected to the NAS, is there a way to do this? Drive B doesn't show up when I try to add a source.

I'd also like to access them from a linux media centre elsewhere in the house, is this possible?
Have you tried adding source from windows network(smb)?
yeah, windows doesn't give me the option to set the folder to share, presumable as its already a network share.

My old set up of external drives connected via usb were connected via smb. Think its something to do with the NAS being connected via ethernet.
Bark 01 - Have you considered attaching your NAS directly to your router. That way all devices that have network access can use it with your main computer either switched on or off.
Have you Mapped the drive on the PC you are running Kodi on? Or simply marked the drive as shared?
To be clear : you currently have two networks : one network between your computer and the router (wifi ?) and another network between your computer and the nas (wired ?).

For your first question, when adding source in XBMC, choose the option to add a network location, protocol Windows network (SMB), fill the IP of your NAS as Server name, fill the Share name, then browse... XBMC could ask your auth credentials to access the nas.

For your second question, if you want to access your nas from somewhere else, you will have to configure a complex routing... you could maybe try to configure a bridge between wired and wifi network on your computer, but i think connecting the nas directly on your router would be much better.
(2014-11-03, 12:32)antarex Wrote: To be clear : you currently have two networks : one network between your computer and the router (wifi ?) and another network between your computer and the nas (wired ?).

For your first question, when adding source in XBMC, choose the option to add a network location, protocol Windows network (SMB), fill the IP of your NAS as Server name, fill the Share name, then browse... XBMC could ask your auth credentials to access the nas.

For your second question, if you want to access your nas from somewhere else, you will have to configure a complex routing... you could maybe try to configure a bridge between wired and wifi network on your computer, but i think connecting the nas directly on your router would be much better.

Just what I was looking for forgot about using the IP!

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing from NAS that is connected via LAN0