All MKV Media Lost...Any Expert Help?
Good Day,

It seems I have lost all my media files and after expending days trying to solve my problem, I seek help in this Forum.

Until two weeks ago, and for years, I had a very old notebook to act as download system and a Western Digital WD Live Media Center, with two USB 2TB each that keep a lot of mkv and iso files which coexist in the root of each HDD. The notebook was so old that it even turned off very often maybe due to temperature and aging problems. But overall the system worked alright.

Last week I decided to retire both the notebook and the WD Media Center, and bought an Intel NUC i3 (the newer model) with 2 Seagate 4TB each USB HDD. I had all kind of troubles configuring the NUC, but finally, with lot of time invested I got it working with Windows 8.1 which I bought along with 4GB of aditional RAM (making a total of 8GB) and a Kengsinton Bluetooth Adapter to conect a Logitech Keyboard and Mouse.

Finally I copy all MKV and ISO movies in one of the 4TB HDD and the same MKV and ISO 3D movies into the other HDD. I then installed Kodi and configure the Library without any issue. And the problems started...

When I tried to see an MKV movie, it started and ISO movie...but not from the beginning, showing suttering and flickering problems, I then started a second MKV movie, and again it started an iso DVD movie (not necessary form the beginning). I then noticed that it happened with ALL MKV movies with SD label (Standard Definition) but not with the HD ones.

I blamed Kodi...Tried with Beta 2 and also with Gotham and exactly the same result. Also I tried with Windows Media Player and again the same result. Then I thought that due to the fact that all iso and mkv movies were copied in the same HDD and in the root of it, maybe for some strange reason the mkv movies were redirected to iso ones. So I copied only one mkv movie in a pendrive and tried in another notebook. Guess what? The same iso movie was reproduced even though the mkv one was alone in the pendrive!!!

So I concluded that for some almost ghostly reason, the mkv movies were changed by iso ones so with MKVMERGUE I tried to open the matroska container of the movies, with the following error:

Output:

Error: Found B frame without second reference in a non closed GOP. Fix the MPEG2 video stream before attempting to multiplex it.

So I couldnt open the container.Then I tried one mkv movie in another Notebook (a third one) and media player said:

"Invalid First Bye of EBML ID:00"

I assume that almost 280 mkv video files are lost...I only was able to salvage 20 of them which worked. All iso files seems ok and the 3D media in the other HDD works flawlessly.

Any clue of what happened? Is what I believe correct, I mean that all is lost?

I would really appreciatte if someone have an idea or advice...

Thanks for your time...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
All MKV Media Lost...Any Expert Help?0