Win Converting Gotham portable installation to Kodi beta 2
Hi,

I wanted to upgtrade from XBMC Gotham Stable Release to Kodi Beta, but I noticed that instead of my current (portable) installation directory C:\XBMC, Kodi only offers me installation to C:\program Files, and doesn't offer a portable setup anymore.

Are portable installations not supported anymore? And how can I easily convert my portable data to be compliant with kodi?

Will the EXE name be the same? I am using XBMC Launcher to launch xbmc now, so the executable name should stay the same...
You can still do a portable setup. It does not transfer this data automatically though with the installer. What I have done is;
Backup my XBMC install.
After Kodi has installed, let it remove the old XBMC install.
Then copy your portable_data folder back into the Kodi install folder, just as it was in the old XBMC install.
Create the shortcut to run Kodi as portable by adding "-p" to the end of Target location in the Shortcut Properties/Shortcut tab.

I did have some weird things happen on one of the installs and only got a smooth running system after I nuked my portable data and re-setup everything. So results may vary. The issues I had may have been do to incompatible plugins.

The executable name is different now, so the Launcher app you are using may need to be updated.
Thanks kricker, I did it exactly like this, but left my old isntallation in place (in case I need to go back for some reason)., and copied my database-entries manually. Did work so far, but I would like to see Setup support that anyway.

And yes, I had to update the launcher, but I hope they will stick with the new name for a few years (even though I still don't like the sound of the new name, but essentially I don't care about names as long as the functionality is there) Tongue

Kodi works good so far, but I have one huge problem: some folders on my network share take about 1 to 2 minutes to enter. These folders do have a lot of files in them, but when I enter them, nothing happens for two minutes until the contents are displayed. This is weird, and I didn't have that with Gotham Sad
You may want to backup your sources.xml and/or mediasources.xml file/s, then clear them both and re-setup your sources. But, before that try running Kodi without all your portable data and see if it takes a long time to view those same sources.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Converting Gotham portable installation to Kodi beta 21