Linux XMBCBuntu + Catalyst?
HI, just wondering if it is necessary or better to install catalyst, with xmbcbuntu. What are the advantages? I have an APU: AMD Athlon 5350 Kabini Quad-Core 2.05GHz with : AMD Radeon HD 8400. I will use HDMI as output on 5.1 channels with 3D support, is it mandatory to install catalyst on this situation?

Thanks!
We don't support catalyst. Also it has absolutely no hw acceleration in linux world.

Stick with the oss drivers.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok thks for the response!
So, i guess i need to follow this guide: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854?
or it is installed by default on xbmcbuntu?
xbmcbuntu is fine. Just make sure to do: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after installation. New kernels might even help more (ubuntu mainline), but test without first.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok Awesome!!! I will give you news as soon as it is plugged on the good system with the HDMI out. I am pre-installing it.

Thanks a lot for the great support!
Ok everything works fine, except I can't get 5.1 surround sound to works on the HDMI output.. Stereo work #1!
.... When I tell XBMC to use 5.1 in the prefs, the sound is noisy bad and there is missing the lyrics.. I don't use any of the passtrough stuff.

On a terminal:
if I try:
Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi -c6 -twav
I only have Front Left and Front Right working..

I did some research and looks like AMD + 5.1 HDMI + Linux = not good business!?

I am using Alsa, didn't install any of the pulseaudio stuff... In alsamixer got everything working there (all is 100%) and number of channel is: 6ch...

What are my options here? buy a intel video card with HDMI output? try to fix my AMD alsa?
AMD with radeon drivers works perfectly, including multichannel, including dts-hd, truehd.

You cannot buy an intel video card, cause there is none.

provide dmesg | pastebinit and and xbmc Debug Log

Edit: I tested that with the very same Kabini here with my AVR.
oups yeah by intel I meant nvidia. sry

Do you use PCM output or bitstream output from xbmc ?

Here is some info that could help. I will send the log later this week when I have access to the machine.
The HTPC is plugged via HDMI to the LG smart TV 3D.
In the TV: there is output coaxial audio directly into a Bose® CineMate® 1 SR Digital Home.

I was hoping to use PCM (no passtrough) to avoid some headache.

I will be back with the LOG and some Alsa output Later.
Thks again!

EDIT: I just found a clue: since my TV is outputting via optical cable and not HDMI, PCM can only 2 channels..

can send a Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound signal to your receiver for further decoding, the PCM option will only send a two-channel signal. The reason for this is that a digital optical or digital coaxial cable does not have the sufficient bandwidth capacity to transfer a decoded, uncompressed, full surround surround audio signal like an HDMI connection can.
Yeah, see my signature :-)
Haha the anwser was in my face all this time! I am starting with the sound stuff, PCM vs bitstream, all the encoding etc and all the terminology.. Pretty complicated story... But i'm getting there..

Thanks a lot!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBCBuntu + Catalyst?0