Any Big reasons to move from Gotham to Helix?
Shared upnp. I'd prefer not to setup mysql for only two clients.
As mature as kodi is, the multi client aspect is way behind. It is a shame it has been ignored with such a large user base asking for years for an easy central db. Seems like a simple database sync method would have been an easy thing to implement?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
There is, it's called mysql. Couldn't be simpler!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-12-04, 04:53)Livin Wrote: t is a shame it has been ignored with such a large user base asking for years for an easy central db. Seems like a simple database sync method would have been an easy thing to implement?

Ignored is the wrong word. The problem is that working on this kind of thing takes a great deal of knowledge in both databases and c++, along with a variety of other things such as UPnP and json for updates and notifications. The number of team members with knowledge in all the various aspects of code necessary to adequately take on the job is limited, and every one of them is already doing a heck of a lot of work maintaining their own codebases.

This is a major reason why we've put such heavy focus on it during Google Summer of Code. We simply haven't had the manhours necessary to get the job done internally. With that said, we've been fairly fortunate over these past few years as many of the GSOC projects, even ones that didn't turn into much during their summer run, have ultimately stepped us quite a bit closer to having a working system. We're not there yet with Helix, but we're certainly getting closer.
(2014-12-04, 04:56)nickr Wrote: There is, it's called mysql. Couldn't be simpler!

MySQL works great until there is a problem then it's a total pain.
I've started to use UPnP just because it's easy to sort out should I run into library issues/corrput databases and it's faster.
I was on the fence for a while and it took a while to get used to the missing features.

I'm looking forward to a future with UPnP, at the moment it's just enough.
Never had a problem with MySQL. Rock solid 24/7 for some years now.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah - I don't understand this 'total pain' with mySQL. I have been using it for a few years now as well with only 3 clients but it took like 15 minutes to set up and when I did have a few issues with database corruptions - I just loaded my backup and rescanned for the missing library items. Which also cost me all of about 10 minutes.....
When I was using it I was updating quite a few movies from SD to HD I ended up with database corruption a few times before I bombed it off.
Maybe it was the size of the library.
At that time (think it was Frodo) it wouldn't import the library. I couldn't find a decent guide on repairing a corrupt database either.

I just happened to try UPnP after it got a mention in the blog and with it being super easy and quick I stuck with it.
MySQL is not super-difficult to install... but it is not simple. I installed MySQL on my Synology lat night, setup the user and granted root permissions to it... then I followed the Wiki and put in the XML settings... guess what... it does not work. AND the worst part is that when it does not connect to the MySQL DB then it hangs... completely locking up the app and the screen, you cannot even Crtl-Atl-Del back into it.

the log shows...
17:02:52 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music46 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:13 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music45 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:34 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music44 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:55 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music43 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:16 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music42 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:37 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music41 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:58 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music40 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))

... seems like there is no failsafe, awesome huh.

Looks like this part of the Wiki is not correct...
"Please Note: Don't create the MySQL databases on your server. Simply set up the MySQL server itself, as XBMC will create the specific databases by itself."

MySQL is total overkill for the needs of what we do with it. We need a simple multi-master replication with SQLite, or something similar. It is not that difficult (considering Kodi DBs are very small) and something DB coders have been doing for a decade. You use a check interval and a time stamp or update ID #, scan for changes since last update and send over the deltas - or the entire record if you want a less efficient method but want the coding to be simpler. No, I'm not a coder but I have managed them, and I do understand DBs a bit.

I guess I could keep praying for some attention on making Kodi scale better... right now the multi-client architecture has not changed in 10 years. Pitty.
(2014-12-06, 02:38)Livin Wrote: Looks like this part of the Wiki is not correct...
"Please Note: Don't create the MySQL databases on your server. Simply set up the MySQL server itself, as XBMC will create the specific databases by itself."

As far as I know, that is still correct.

Quote:I guess I could keep praying for some attention on making Kodi scale better... right now the multi-client architecture has not changed in 10 years. Pitty.

A total replacement is in the works :)
(2014-12-06, 02:38)Livin Wrote: MySQL is not super-difficult to install... but it is not simple. I installed MySQL on my Synology lat night, setup the user and granted root permissions to it... then I followed the Wiki and put in the XML settings... guess what... it does not work. AND the worst part is that when it does not connect to the MySQL DB then it hangs... completely locking up the app and the screen, you cannot even Crtl-Atl-Del back into it.

the log shows...
17:02:52 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music46 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:13 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music45 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:34 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music44 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:03:55 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music43 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:16 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music42 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:37 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music41 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))
17:04:58 T:39432 ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_music40 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.1.50' (10060))

... seems like there is no failsafe, awesome huh.

Looks like this part of the Wiki is not correct...

MySQL is total overkill for the needs of what we do with it. We need a simple multi-master replication with SQLite, or something similar. It is not that difficult (considering Kodi DBs are very small) and something DB coders have been doing for a decade. You use a check interval and a time stamp or update ID #, scan for changes since last update and send over the deltas - or the entire record if you want a less efficient method but want the coding to be simpler. No, I'm not a coder but I have managed them, and I do understand DBs a bit.

I guess I could keep praying for some attention on making Kodi scale better... right now the multi-client architecture has not changed in 10 years. Pitty.

Simply sqlite is not a multi user database.

Not our fault if your database isn't listening on the right interfaces, that's your error.
I used mysql with 4-5 xbmc clients in the house (Windows / Linux / OpenElec / Android /iOS) when it works, it was good. But along the way came a time when Database crash / corrupted which freezed some clients on startup. Got earful when that happened.

So I decided a very spartan way of manage library. Use only one client to do scraping / managing (my main htpc) and exported all library to nfo for each media. Other clients just use local nfo only. Works really good for my purpose and no path substitute problems across different platforms.
Nickr, yes if I did it wrong it is not your fault but if a 20 you computer systems vet follows the wiki and other how to posts, and it still does not work then "it couldn't get any easier" is far from the truth.

Sqlite is not multi user but that wouldn't stop anyone from building multi master replication. They are totally separate things.

I think I'll resort to the upnp method. I love xbmc but not much as changed since v11 in the way of new features to keep it leading the pack... Unfortunately I think Plex has surpassed xbmc by a long way in being the leader.
That's why Montellese is working on a kick ass multi-client multi-import project. There isn't really a single post that sums it up totally, so maybe I'll throw something up on the wiki so that people know that "there is a plan".
Cool, it would be nice to know what, and when, it is coming.
Kodi is missing 3 things to make it best of breed...
1.Multi Zone Audio
2. Builtin multi client database, or multi master architecture
3. Real time transcoding

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any Big reasons to move from Gotham to Helix?0