Proper way to setup scrapers with MySQL
Hello,

I have a MySQL DB setup on my NAS device. All my media files reside on the same NAS. I have three Windows XBMC and one Android clients running 13.2.

Media sharing and "viewed" is working flawlessly.

I am, however, confused about the proper way to setup scrapers between these clients. I typically scrape on one client and then export all that data into individual files (XML, NFO, images etc) and put them back with the original media. What I am not sure about is how should it be setup on the other clients. Should all client be setup to scrape new media? I tried setting them up to scrape from local files only but then new media shows up only under all videos and not under movies or TV shows.

I checked the wiki but no clear information but I could not find anything. Also, is there a way to import library from a network share rather than local location? Lastly, is there a way to setup auto scrapping and then exporting files to the share location? My goal is to have one device scrape on a regular basis and other devices to simply use the existing info rather than each one going on the internet to get info.

Thank you
If you have your mySQL databases setup correctly, and are using your advancedsettings.xml correctly, ANY of your clients should be able to update the library for all the other clients. (you are running the same version of XBMC/KODI on all the clients rightHuh)

It sounds like you are using local paths or networked drives instead of setting up proper smb shares to share.

Lets start from scratch (Well assuming you have setup your mySQL databse on the NAS as per the wiki):

Quote:I typically scrape on one client
. Lets call this client A.

Make sure your advancedsettings.xml is per the wiki and make sure you place it it in the right appdata folder. Go to Videos->Files, Add Source, when you add the source make sure it is in "smb://ip.address.here/sharename" format. Do that for all your folders that you have shared.

Scan the items into the library (aka the mySQL database).

Copy the exact same advancedsettings.xml from Client A to the rest of the clients.

That should solve your problem.
Hi Helta,

Thank you for your reply. I believe my MySQL setup is working OK because I can watch an episode on one client and see on the other one that it is marked as watched. I can also stop a video half way on one client and pick it up at the same location on another client.

I am a bit confused about the settings you mentioned. My AdvancedSettings.xml does not contain any mention of any sources. It simply lists information for various databases. For example, for my video database, I have the following listed.

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.99.150</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

However, my sources.xml files contain individual sources listed similar to what you mentioned. For example, I have source listed below for Kids movies.

<source>
<name>Movies - Kids</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://192.168.99.150/Media/Movies/Kids/</path>
<allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
</source>

Do I need to include these in the AdvancedSettings.xml as well?

I guess when I scrape on one client, information about new media gets added to the database. But since thumbs etc. are stores locally on that client, how do I make sure they are available to all other clients as well without first exporting to the share manually every time I have new media.

Thanks.
@DJDJDJDJ

You said this:

Quote:All my media files reside on the same NAS.

and then this:

Quote:I tried setting them up to scrape from local files only.

What local files? Networked some way to NAS. How local is that? What do your logs say?

Read what helta said. Kodi 'should' work fine with this but the thumbnails are a bit of a pain!
Well, when you select media type for a source, you can select a scaper or use local info. This is what I meant by local for scraper. All media is on a nas.

Thumbnails is where my concern is. I don't want each client to download them individually. I rather have one system download them once when scrapping and other clients to simply use them.

Thanks.
Ok I see what you saying, I retract my post above.

Use any scraper besides local files (unless you are using a 3rd party media manager), because on first scrape it won't have any info. So use TMDB or Universal Movie Scraper etc.

What you are asking to do is use path substitution, but be forewarned, it is NOT recommended for thumbnails. Others may say it works just fine and they have never had a problem, but the potential is there to have some issues.
Thank you.

I guess I will continue to scrape on each client.

I don't really like path substitution. It's a bit finicky and I don't even know if it is available on my android to box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper way to setup scrapers with MySQL0