Power on/off laptop
Hi.

I have installed XBMC on a Windows 7 laptop, which I have connected with HDMI to my tv and I have connected a MCE remote to control it with and everything is working great.

I am planning to close the lid on the laptop and put it in a shelve below my tv, but this gives me some problems with powering the laptop on when it has been shut down completely, because I need to open the lid to get to the power button. The laptop does not seem to support wake-on-usb, wake-on-lan or automatic power on after power failure.

When the laptop is on I can press the standby button on the MCE remote and it goes to standby, and I can then press the button on the remote again to wake it up again. This is ok, but my plan was to connect the laptop to the same outlet as the tv and all my other equipment, which I normally turn off when not in use to avoid the standby power consumption.

The best workaround I have found so far is to leave the battery in the laptop, so that when I turn off the power supply the laptop would remain in sleep mode (supplied by the battey) instead of powering completely down. When I then turn on the power supply again, I would be able to wake the laptop with the remote. The only problem with this is that if I do not turn it on for a longer period the battery would eventually be drained and I would have to take the laptop out from the shelve and open the lid to get it running again.

The only onther idea I have at the moment is to take apart the laptop and make make a new power on button, which can be operated without opening the lid, but I was hoping to avoid this.

Does anyone have a good idea for a workaround for this?
what laptop is it? how much power consumption does it take?
seems like your it solely for xbmc,
might make more sense to sell the laptop and get another hardware, depending on the laptop you might even have money left over. christmas sales are coming up and chromeboxs reduce in price close to $104 or £150

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power on/off laptop0