Win Directory differneces
W8.1 Gotham 13.2 Synology NAS
I have a an unexplained difference on a media directory. I have added a directory called TV shows from my NAS. If I go to the files under video I can see the directory name and display the full directory perfect. Given TV shows now appear in the main menu bar with media submenu items. I f I select any of the media menu items eg Title than I can only see a subset of ltems. I have looked extensively in the system but cannot find a resolution even did a complete reinstall of XBMC but exactly the same outcome.
If I add a movies directory using the same process there is no difference in the media submenu items to the directory held under video.
Any ideas please- its a bit of a niggle and I don't want to go to far with an unexplained error.
your tv show naming convention is not all correct. fix that.
Thankyou for the response.
I have had a quick look through the files and cant spot anything wrong. I have looked at the file names for ones that do work and it really does not indicate any issues to me. The files are all as downloaded from a variety of sites. The shows are all in folders indicating series etc and the individual files indicate series/episode/title then file extension .avi .mkv .mp4 etc
Give one example of the EXACT naming structure of one of the series that doesn't work, including the main series folder and file name.
List of Directories below season1 directory opens list of 13 episodes- episode 8 given as example.
I am not sure what the structure should be in some files each word is separated by a . or insome cases an _
Appreciate your help and patience. Also interested why you see all the files when you go video files then only some when linked to tv shows and the media menus as they are all contained with xbmc.

\\Diskstation\tv\The Sopranos - The Complete Series
\\Diskstation\tv\The Sopranos - The Complete Series\Season 1
The Sopranos Season 1 Episode 08 - The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti.avi
Well to answer your question, its because they serve 2 different functions:

1) Video-> Files is exactly what you think it is, its a listing of all the FILES in your folders from the source you added.
2) Movies / Tv Shows = is the library part of XBMC, this is where after you assign a scraper (Universal Movie Scraper,The TV Database etc) to a source, the scraper will download metadata (posters, fanart, actor information, rating info etc etc etc) based upon the file name matched to the website name. This is why naming is so important. So if the scraper can't figure out what tv show/movie is in the directory based upon the FILENAME, it will not get added to the library. This is why you can you can see the files in the Video->Files view, but not the equivalent in the library.

The MAIN thing when it comes to proper naming convention is that it has to be CONSISTENT. But please read the wiki post here to make sure you are on the right track.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Directory differneces0