Getting started
I'm new to the Kodi side of streaming and after doing my research, ready to start. I learned how to network my Roku's through Plex but am a bit apprehensive about diving completely into the XMBC world. I'm leaning toward a Matricom G Box Q if I try to program myself or one of the Midnight boxes if pre-programmed.

I ran across a Kaser Net'sPC YF810-8G Desktop that has
ARM A_Series_Eight_Core_A10_5700
|#A-Series Eight-Core A10-5700 Processor 1 GHz ( cache)
1GB DDR3
8 GB Solid State Drive
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
I am wondering if I could start with this to get my feet wet. I would be trying to install the new Helix and go from there.

Thanks and thoughts?
No, don't get it. YF810-8G is a very old and very outdated Allwinner A10 device, and those A10 chips never worked right in XBMC/Kodi in the first place.
Would it just lead to frustration on my part? I was only interested in it to learn the installation processes and then get the Matricom once I learned if I could do it. Also only $25.
Stop looking at and being dazzled by the Specs of any box you may look at.
Chances are you will be suckered in by slick marketing, its the first rookie mistake.

Work out what you actually want to use the media box for, write a list then come back here:
eg.
- plays all video formats
- is h265 important
- 4K video
- Netflix, Hulu etc
- Games ?
- Web browser
- proper on the fly refresh rate switching for perfect XBMC / TV video sync (very important outside USA)
- 24p video
- live TV
- 1080i mpeg2 video
- Bluray

Wink

1) live TV
2) Netflix, Hulu etc
3) plays all video formats
4) Large media source library
5) proper on the fly refresh rate switching for perfect XBMC / TV video sync
6) 1080i mpeg2 video

Not interested in 4K. I have multiple folders set up on Plex for different family members, Would eventually like to use a PVR.
Hopefully this helps
Budget?
$150
Get a ASUS Chromebox - Intel Celeron 2955U Processor, the cheap base model - dual boot setup running Openelec and ChromeOS.
Flirc USB dongle + Xbox 360 Media IR remote or just use one of the recommended cheap RF keyboards.

Or Single boot running Kodiubuntu and NetfliXBMC video add-on for Netflix.
Heaps of support here on the forum, this box is very popular for good reason.

Forget about Amazon Fire TV and Android for points 5 & 6 completely, your asking for lots of trouble, deinterlacing 1080i will not work well if at all with hardware acceleration enabled.

The other option is a Zotac BI320 which has the same guts as the Chromebox + extras and works just as well. You get Windows apps like Netflix etc from the Windows store without dual booting when running Win 8.1.
The other advantage with this Zotac is you can interchange the powercord cheaply for a local compatible power socket.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1867041

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting started0