Hardware developer seeking help from sw devs for interesting project.
I'm a low level system programmer/designer and work a lot with hardware and often get carried away building my own projects. My latest undertaking I want to attempt is getting a USB joystick device that I built and programmed myself working on the Xbox.

Now I have noticed that XBMC will recognize a USB mouse and keyboard so I assume that there is some (probably limited) Human Interface Device support within the Xbox. I'm not sure if that's built into the system or if it's part of XBMC.

There are two ways I've considered approaching this task: 1) use the current firmware within my device that allows it to enumerate as a fully HID compliant USB device and adding support for it in software so that it can be used in games and applications, or 2) Re-write the firmware of the device to imitate the Xbox controller. This would probably be the best route since games/apps would already work with the device without modification.

Either way, I need the assistance of someone who is well versed in programming on the x-box to either help write some sort of HID joystick driver, or an application that will pry needed information out of the Xbox controller to modify my firmware. I'll probably also need to write application that will look for my USB device to help debug.

For anyone who may be familiar with USB in any way, specifically what I would need from the controller are the descriptors within it. If I had a complete descriptor table from the Xbox controller I could easily duplicate that in my device. There may be information regarding this in the xdk which I do not have access to at this time, but someone more familiar with it might be helpful in this area.

I have all the hardware finalized and have the necessary physical interface to the Xbox controller ports in place. If anyone is willing to help get me going on the software side of this project, it would really help me out.

Thanks!
Hi there,

Unfortunately the software side isn't quite as simple. The XDK doesn't offer any documentation (at least the piece we have access to) about the way the USB subsystem sets itself up. Anything that we have in XBMC is supplied directly by the xbox operating system. The xbox linux guys may be able to give you information on this side of things though.

There may be other ways to figure some of this out, and some work is going on at the moment in terms of trying to get access to memory cards at the device level. Whether anything will come of it is anybodies guess.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware developer seeking help from sw devs for interesting project.0