• 3(current)
WIP Experimental simple deinterlacing
Sure. But s/w decoding DOES do deinterlacing, so the question is: Is it good enough, and, if not, why?
Wink 
(2015-01-12, 21:31)Koying Wrote: Well, not using interlaced material myself, but it looks to me that ffmpeg's deinterlacing is better, so I'm not sure it is worth implementing bob in this case.
Multiple opinions welcome.

Hi Koying,

first: I'm really very happy, that you have this topic now on your radarscreen Big Grin

I'm absolutely on the same opinion like sdfg - deinterlace for SD is relevant and one of the most important open issues on android-kodi.
It is right, that most TV stations send in 720x576 mpeg2 50i - h264 HD is often only payTV in europe.

In addition xbmc/spmc/kodi is very popular as video-library for DVD and older TV-video files as well, which are all 720x576 mpeg2 50i.
The software blend deinterlacer is often for this video unusable. Sometimes I prefer to watch this in interlaced format, it is better to have heavy interlace effects then heavy blurring with software blend.
I'm not a expert for deinterlace methods, but as far as i unterstand "BOB", i think it is an good option and a its absolutely worth to test it for SD-video.
I would expect, that adaptive deinterlacing or motion compensation is not possible because of needed CPU-Power therefor.

The only problem with BOB is, that either the first or the last line is missing in every (doubbled) frame. But the BOB-solution with HD-video makes the impression, that there is a solution for this problem as well, because I did not realize a "picture-up-and-down-jumping" (vertical bounce) Big Grin

SaEt9000
(2015-01-13, 11:21)Koying Wrote: Sure. But s/w decoding DOES do deinterlacing, so the question is: Is it good enough, and, if not, why?

difficult to answer - but i will try it.
The "software deinterlacer" shows "auto" and "software blend".
I would expect, that "auto" checks, either deinterlacing is needed or not - right? "Software blend" makes deinterlace by "blending". No other methods are used in ffmpeg- right?

The great problem by blending is, that - especially in video what is in interlace produced (f.i sports or older animated or TV shows) - moves or pans are getting diffuse and blurred. That is a problem of the method - because of interpolation between the frames in a distance of 1/25 second.
With Bob you have no time-distance between the frames which is to interpolate. You only have to interpolate the missing lines in the same frame without any time-distance. That is the great advance.

SaEt9000
The only option is software blend. In my configuration (don't know from a technical point of view) the results are absolutely unsatisfactory.
Both in windows and linux software deinterlacing methods (especially "deinterlace") give optimal results.
Anyway, thank for your interest in the subject
sdf
(2015-01-13, 17:51)sdfg Wrote: The only option is software blend. In my configuration (don't know from a technical point of view) the results are absolutely unsatisfactory.
Both in windows and linux software deinterlacing methods (especially "deinterlace") give optimal results.
Anyway, thank for your interest in the subject
sdf

See above from koying, it would seem your content does not support hardware decoding, but it's difficult to tell when you haven't provided any details....
It looks like the availability of hw decoding/BOB for SD content depends on different factors like Android version, playback device and settings. On my AFTV I have mediacodec disabled and only libstagefright enabled, and I DO have hw acceleration/BOB for SD Live-TV (PAL, mpeg2). It's clearly working too, enabling BOB and displaying codec info shows a framerate change from 25fps to 50fps.

I also have the problem that hw acceleration stops working for h264 encoded material. Yesterday I was playing with Live-TV and switching channels and suddenly playback of 1080i/720p channels started to stutter and I couldn't enable BOB anymore (the option disappeared). It was still working for SD mpeg2 though.
Restarting Kodi didn't help either, I had to completely reboot the AFTV to make it work again. So I'm not sure if this is related to the deinterlacing build or even Kodi in general. It might as well be a bug of the AFTV firmware.
(2015-01-13, 19:39)weak Wrote: It looks like the availability of hw decoding/BOB for SD content depends on different factors like Android version, playback device and settings. On my AFTV I have mediacodec disabled and only libstagefright enabled, and I DO have hw acceleration/BOB for SD Live-TV (PAL, mpeg2). It's clearly working too, enabling BOB and displaying codec info shows a framerate change from 25fps to 50fps.
On snapdragon 800/1 there's hw accel only with libstagefright and h264/avc, both on kitkat and lollipop. I thought that hw accel mpeg2 on Android was not implemented.
This is a good thing, so there's hope to extend it to other hardware devices.

(2015-01-13, 18:10)tdw197 Wrote: See above from koying, it would seem your content does not support hardware decoding, but it's difficult to tell when you haven't provided any details....
@tdw197,
the details are explained above in the earlier posts of the thread..
bye,
sdf
(2015-01-13, 20:22)sdfg Wrote:
(2015-01-13, 19:39)weak Wrote: It looks like the availability of hw decoding/BOB for SD content depends on different factors like Android version, playback device and settings. On my AFTV I have mediacodec disabled and only libstagefright enabled, and I DO have hw acceleration/BOB for SD Live-TV (PAL, mpeg2). It's clearly working too, enabling BOB and displaying codec info shows a framerate change from 25fps to 50fps.
On snapdragon 800/1 there's hw accel only with libstagefright and h264/avc, both on kitkat and lollipop. I thought that hw accel mpeg2 on Android was not implemented.
This is a good thing, so there's hope to extend it to other hardware devices.

(2015-01-13, 18:10)tdw197 Wrote: See above from koying, it would seem your content does not support hardware decoding, but it's difficult to tell when you haven't provided any details....
@tdw197,
the details are explained above in the earlier posts of the thread..
bye,
sdf

My bad, didn't see your posts.

IMHO sw decoding and deinterlacing of 576i PAL content works well for me on my fire TV - its not amazing, but more than good enough.
Don't know if it's important, but tried every other software (mxplayer,bsplayer,etc.) and the results are the same as kodi: bad deinterlacing/bad video quality. The first attempt (with acceptable quality) is koying's build.
bye,
sdf
I saw that AFTV has a SnapDragon 600 chipset (Adreno 320). So SnapDragon 800 (Adreno 330) should be similar. Don't know how Kodi is programmed, and don't know why AFTV has mpeg2 pal HW accel and other devices based on snapdragon 800 lack that feature.
If there's someone with other devices and chipset that can test this ....
bye,
sdf
This is too confusing, I'll add bob to s/w decoding, too Wink
Perfect!!
Thank you,
sdf
(2015-01-14, 09:37)Koying Wrote: This is too confusing, I'll add bob to s/w decoding, too Wink

YES !! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

THX!

SaEt9000
Updated build with bob enabled for s/w decoding:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
Downloading.
Will tell you after testing.
Thank you!
sdf
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Experimental simple deinterlacing1