• 8(current)
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows
Bought HPStreamMini (to run Kodi) from HP website $180, added 1x8GB crucial ddr3 1600 ram $55 @amazon: really flies now. Been following the HPStreamMini post over at anandtech (OP: BarkingGhostar):

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.p...&t=2419697

see post #52 where Kaido has posted a compendium of info and links about the HPStreamMini.

Despite multiple requests, gotten nowhere with HP about the ziff-sata connector Part no. 794966-001 Cable - Prius SATA, L:65mm PR2 (cf. post #8). No one has it in stock except for impactcomputers for $75:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/794966-001.html

Going to need this sata cable sooner or later, but not at that price
(2015-04-04, 01:08)nakum Wrote: [...] No one has it in stock except for impactcomputers for $75:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/794966-001.html

Going to need this sata cable sooner or later, but not at that price

Mind you, $74.95 is the sale price. That's quite the saving over the regular price of $131.16. Rofl

Needless to say, that's quite ridiculous and there's absolutely no way I'd choose that over just sticking to M.2, particularly seeing I can pretty much put any M.2 SATA drive in there now.
(2015-04-04, 03:33)DocG Wrote: Needless to say, that's quite ridiculous and there's absolutely no way I'd choose that over just sticking to M.2, particularly seeing I can pretty much put any M.2 SATA drive in there now.
Aren't you limited to 42mm M.2 drives?
(2015-04-04, 15:12)Stereodude Wrote:
(2015-04-04, 03:33)DocG Wrote: Needless to say, that's quite ridiculous and there's absolutely no way I'd choose that over just sticking to M.2, particularly seeing I can pretty much put any M.2 SATA drive in there now.
Aren't you limited to 42mm M.2 drives?

Yes, and no.
How noisy is the fan in these?
Virtually non existent for mine. Not an issue for me at all. This replaced a full pc case with an i7 and 3 internal hard drives, so it was basically a jet engine Smile
This little hp is virtually silent.
Just chiming in to say I'm using the Stream Mini as my Kodi box and loving it. For anyone who's been getting the low memory warnings, I tried everything I could find online and nothing worked until I set the pagefile to none. It's got an SSD, so a pagefile probably isn't recommended anyway, right? Either way, no more warnings so far, no stability issues. RAM usage looks good.

Hope that helps!
(2015-04-09, 19:01)hexfield Wrote: For anyone who's been getting the low memory warnings, I tried everything I could find online and nothing worked until I set the pagefile to none. It's got an SSD, so a pagefile probably isn't recommended anyway, right? Either way, no more warnings so far, no stability issues. RAM usage looks good.

Good point Hexfield. I added 1x8GB Crucial DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800) for a total of 10GB RAM memory onboard. I have never had low memory warnings: my unit uses around 10-15% of total memory.

Note that I have followed the recommendations of SSD usage on the TheSSDReview website. The site provides not only a tutorial on how to optimize Windows 8/8.1 for SSD usage, but also a separate tutorial on how to optimize SSD usage on any system - primarily how to minimize write operations. One important recommendation is to eliminate the pagefile completely, which I have done with no issues whatsoever! Kodi v14.2 runs like a bullet on my HPStreamMini with no warnings. So you probably discovered the appropriate solution.

My only concern is that the site also recommends leaving 10-15% of the SSD unalloted (to replace NAND memory that has been worn out and made non-operational). I have not done this because of the low capacity 32GB M.2 2242 SSD card.
(2015-04-10, 01:14)nakum Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 19:01)hexfield Wrote: For anyone who's been getting the low memory warnings, I tried everything I could find online and nothing worked until I set the pagefile to none. It's got an SSD, so a pagefile probably isn't recommended anyway, right? Either way, no more warnings so far, no stability issues. RAM usage looks good.

Good point Hexfield. I added 1x8GB Crucial DDR3L-1600 (PC3-12800) for a total of 10GB RAM memory onboard. I have never had low memory warnings: my unit uses around 10-15% of total memory.

Note that I have followed the recommendations of SSD usage on the TheSSDReview website. The site provides not only a tutorial on how to optimize Windows 8/8.1 for SSD usage, but also a separate tutorial on how to optimize SSD usage on any system - primarily how to minimize write operations. One important recommendation is to eliminate the pagefile completely, which I have done with no issues whatsoever! Kodi v14.2 runs like a bullet on my HPStreamMini with no warnings. So you probably discovered the appropriate solution.

My only concern is that the site also recommends leaving 10-15% of the SSD unalloted (to replace NAND memory that has been worn out and made non-operational). I have not done this because of the low capacity 32GB M.2 2242 SSD card.
Thanks for that info, I need to go do that, would you happen to have the link on the ssd page for the pagefile and optimize articles?
Gonna check the page out myself, looks like a ton of good info there.
Since I added an extra stick of 4gb ram, I too have noticed better speeds, but am starting to get that low memory notice a bit more, likely due to the pagefile I'm sure.
(2015-04-10, 21:06)Temujin Wrote:
(2015-04-10, 01:14)nakum Wrote:

Thanks for that info, I need to go do that, would you happen to have the link on the ssd page for the pagefile and optimize articles?
Gonna check the page out myself, looks like a ton of good info there.
Since I added an extra stick of 4gb ram, I too have noticed better speeds, but am starting to get that low memory notice a bit more, likely due to the pagefile I'm sure.

//www.thessdreview.com/

Pagefile reference:

"The SSD Optimization Guide Ultimate Windows 8 (And Win7) Edition"

(see page 2, No. 6: Turn Off Pagefile)

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...8-edition/

Also interesting but with some overlap:

"The Windows 7 Optimization Guide"

http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/o...ion-guide/

Let's hope that Les knows what he is talking about because I have implemented all his suggestions for SSDs!

SSDs use a completely different method of storage compared to the old mechanical hard drives. The issues arise with deleting data and writing new data to disk. With SSDs, the old information must be completely removed and at the same time, any relevant information to be retained in those blocks is saved by moving them to yet other blocs. Only then can new data be written to the old blocks now completely erased and free of data. These processes also involve Trim and GC (Garbage Collection), by and large now baked into all OSs.

The issue of low memory warnings, which I have never seen on my HPStreamMini with 10GB total memory, is probably a Windows issue, due to Windows extensive use of RAM memory. Linux, on the other hand, uses more CPU processing but much less RAM memory as compared to Windows. That is presumably why the folks here on the forum using the Asus Chromebox and Openelec/Kodibuntu do not see memory warnings with only 2GB of RAM memory.
Awesome info, thanks nakum.
There are several discussions about low memory warnings running Windows 8/8.1 with reasonably large inventories of RAM memory: 8GB to 16GB (not encouraging):

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2301077

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2359528

So the dabate about the (non)use of pagefiles in Windows continues.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...9efff99938

The MS Windows support engineer recommends ways of avoiding the low memory warnings on page 5 of previous link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...=windows-7

I guess we can only hope for the early arrival of (free upgrade) Windows 10.

Also: I have not had any issues with my Logitech K400r dongle keyboard as reported elsewhere: it has performed extremely well, but still early days of course.

Also: with Kodi running and Pale Moon open with a one or two tabs, the fan runs very silent at 2200 rpm and lowish temps (below 40C). But at one point (Kodi was doing background stuff) the fan did escalate and was quite noticeable but that did not persist and settled down quickly.

Love my tupperware!
I get constant low memory warnings on my Zotac, and it would appear to be due to the memory leak that has been mentioned in one of the links. It was supposed to have been fixed by a windows update late last year, but it hasn't really. I'm still getting these all the time. I'm not actually getting them on my HP, which has half the RAM, i.e. 4GB, so it would support that it's not about how much memory you've got, nor about how big exactly your pagefile is, but about what exactly you do on the box and whether you leak memory.

Overall, the HP Tupper... umm, I mean Stream Mini is a great box, iff you can get it for RRP with free shipping.
(2015-04-11, 05:57)nakum Wrote: Also: I have not had any issues with my Logitech K400r dongle keyboard as reported elsewhere: it has performed extremely well, but still early days of course.

Love my tupperware!
I have the k400 too, and while it does work, I've noticed it almost needs to be line of sight to work as well as it did with my previous HTPC, which was a full tower case.
Not sure if that's a wifi issue or the USB and dongle or what, but my remote seems to be less responsive as well.
Both were flawless with my original htpc and now I notice some lag or it doesn't work unless I angle the device correctly.
Still diggin' my tupperware as well Smile
Have it rockin the Shednox skin and all is well
(2015-04-11, 16:49)Temujin Wrote:
(2015-04-11, 05:57)nakum Wrote: Also: I have not had any issues with my Logitech K400r dongle keyboard as reported elsewhere: it has performed extremely well, but still early days of course.

Love my tupperware!
I have the k400 too, and while it does work, I've noticed it almost needs to be line of sight to work as well as it did with my previous HTPC, which was a full tower case.
Not sure if that's a wifi issue or the USB and dongle or what, but my remote seems to be less responsive as well.
Both were flawless with my original htpc and now I notice some lag or it doesn't work unless I angle the device correctly.
Still diggin' my tupperware as well Smile
Have it rockin the Shednox skin and all is well
I've found that one needs to use the long USB extension to get the transmitter to work best with the K400.
It makes a big difference!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Stream Mini - 2957U/2GB/32GB $180 inc Windows1