Req Kodi chromecast receiver
AirPlay has even gotten close to being dropped because Apple keeps adding complicated parts to AirPlay. It started out as a simple system that was easy to simulate. Basically, you had two way controls on a video file hosted on the iOS device in a mini HTTP server, or URL that could be opened in any player. Then AirTunes, the music part of AirPlay, finally got hacked and that got added. But then AirPlay Mirroring came up, and encrypted AirPlay video, and special player-specific AirPlay URLs. Even the original AirPlay video method would break between different iOS versions, because only Apple knows the correct way to receive these things.

TL;DR- AirPlay is a big hack that is on life support and might not always be around.
Kodi as a Chromecast receiver is also of interest to me.

I have Kodi on OpenElec on RaspberryPi. I would like to watch Amazon Prime videos through that. Since there is no Amazon Prime addon that would work for me with that setup (Chrome launcher is obviously out and PlayOn isn't an option).
I would be very happy to be able to start Amazon Prime video on my phone and cast it to Kodi.
I suggest replace the chromecast with an amazon fire tv stick instead. What you want will not happen in the near future (its stated multiple times).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

If nothing else, it's good to know that it won't happen. Fire TV stick is not an option for me at the moment, but thanks for the suggestion.
I am currently replacing 2 WD TV boxes with Kodi - Raspberry PI and am very happy with it. It is great. However, one of the features I use all the time on the WD TV boxes is to be able to stream from my Android phone using Chromcast to the WD TV box. Was hoping to be able to do the same with the Kodi setup. I think it is a very cool feature and would hope that it would be consider for Kodi and not dismissed the way it has been in this tread.

Thanks for all the hard work on Kodi.

Glenn
its not simply dismissed - you should read the various discussions about it. Forget chromecast & kodi...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Did every single Android user just suddenly forget that Kodi has always supported DLNA/UPnP beaming/casting/streaming, long before Chromecast was ever a thing? Or is Google just that good at marketing that people forget the other supported streaming options that most Android apps support?
(2015-06-01, 04:32)Ned Scott Wrote: Did every single Android user just suddenly forget that Kodi has always supported DLNA/UPnP beaming/casting/streaming, long before Chromecast was ever a thing? Or is Google just that good at marketing that people forget the other supported streaming options that most Android apps support?

hey, upnp doesn't sound "cool"
unfortunately Android apps don't support sharing via UPNP and it requires additional apps like BubbleUPNP to forward stuff from e.g. the YouTube app or some others to Kodi. That's one of the few things I hate Google for.
Well, there is a Swiss live TV app called Teleboy on Android, that is able to stream either to Chromecast or to any instance of XBMC/Kodi.
IMO the Android chromecast stack would have to support native UPNP clients as well, in order to get wider app support
Quote:Did every single Android user just suddenly forget that Kodi has always supported DLNA/UPnP beaming/casting/streaming

For me, the appeal of chromecasting is, that I can "cast" anything from my phone to the screen. uPnP doesn't allow me to stream Amazon Prime video from my phone to Kodi, for instance. Or HBO Go, for that matter. Or, really, anything else that I would like to display on my projector, which has as it only input source the Kodi on Raspberry Pi and works great for everything else.

So, the answer is: No, we didn't forget that those capabilities exist. What you don't realize is that those capabilities don't solve all the needs. I believe that one of the reasons why this forum exists is so that we can discuss what is great and what is lacking. And to build on what is great, while diminishing the lacking part, if possible.

For myself, I would be very happy if Kodi would be able to show Amazon Prime and/or HBO Go on Raspberry Pi. But at this moment this doesn't seem like a realistic option either.
(2015-06-01, 10:11)da-anda Wrote: unfortunately Android apps don't support sharing via UPNP and it requires additional apps like BubbleUPNP to forward stuff from e.g. the YouTube app or some others to Kodi. That's one of the few things I hate Google for.

Eh? There are several Android video and music players with direct (no Bubble required) support for UPnP/DLNA streaming. There are even some for iOS.
(2015-06-01, 10:54)da-anda Wrote: IMO the Android chromecast stack would have to support native UPNP clients as well, in order to get wider app support

While I see your point, I'm kind of doubtful this will happen. My reasoning here is that the main idea of Chromecast is not to stream content from your device to another one. It's to direct the destination device to start streaming the data that the source device finds. Like with youtube videos. Once you start casting them, you can then turn off your phone. since it will be the Chromecast dongle, who will pull the video directly off of the internet.

Ability to cast the rest is an added bonus or workaround for anything else, that doesn't directly support casting in the original form. For that reason adding support for additional protocols isn't something that I see Google doing here.
(2015-06-01, 11:11)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 10:11)da-anda Wrote: unfortunately Android apps don't support sharing via UPNP and it requires additional apps like BubbleUPNP to forward stuff from e.g. the YouTube app or some others to Kodi. That's one of the few things I hate Google for.

Eh? There are several Android video and music players with direct (no Bubble required) support for UPnP/DLNA streaming. There are even some for iOS.
And they all play local stuff, right? I don't know of any streaming app that does/can forward via UPNP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi chromecast receiver0