Req Kodi chromecast receiver
UPnP/DLNA can do the exact same thing. Even in Kodi to Kodi UPnP sharing, it is the URL of a video that is shared, and the "host" can be turned off.

As far as video, audio, and photos are concerned, Chromecast is an inferior protocol.
(2015-06-01, 11:06)Vlayke Wrote: For myself, I would be very happy if Kodi would be able to show Amazon Prime and/or HBO Go on Raspberry Pi. But at this moment this doesn't seem like a realistic option either.

there is an addon for amazon prime: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215255
I'm aware of this addon, thanks. The thing is that it doesn't work for me on Pi.
Especially not in combination with a VPN connection that I need established at the same time.
(2015-06-01, 11:49)Ned Scott Wrote: UPnP/DLNA can do the exact same thing. Even in Kodi to Kodi UPnP sharing, it is the URL of a video that is shared, and the "host" can be turned off.

As far as video, audio, and photos are concerned, Chromecast is an inferior protocol.

Well Ned maybe it is inferior and maybe it isn't! Content providers aren't sharing your POV.

It's very much like the Beta vs VHS problem you have here....

You feel one is inferior and can be ignored meanwhile the content providers like Hulu, Netflix, HBO, Showtime and most other Streaming services are supporting what you feel is inferior and NOT supporting the UPnP you feel is better! And it is these content services that are completely lacking (to the point of non existence) any support on Kodi and are the most requested addons that usually get the "Never going to happen" response when asked for!

A superior protocol that is not supported is useless when compared to a lesser protocol that has all the content support!

You may not like the VHS like streaming method...But if Kodi ever wishes to play/display this content, (barring getting them to write an official add on that won't break two weeks after release...) Kodi's best chance at HBO and Netflix support is via taking advantage of their Chromecast targeting ability.
I can't help feeling that those who make the demands for chromecast never actually contribute any code.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
And those who would like more features can't help but feel their efforts to contribute code would be pointless if a mere mention of a feature gets responded to with "Our Way is Better" Despite the fact the rest of the world doesn't really support that method these days.

Especially when it if said by the guys who would have to approve the code being accepted into the main trunk.
The thing is if there is an open source multi platform library for chrome's protocol and someone willing to implement it in kodi,I doubt it would be rejected.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think the first part would already be enough in order for a dev to try an get it working. But there is no cross platform open source and GPL2 compatible library for chromecast, is it? And we won't reverseengeneer it, as we can't
chromecast is still something that needs kernel support - linux only. it can be spread over the world all it wants. its crappy shit for something platform independed like kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-08-22, 22:55)Asphyx Wrote: Well Ned maybe it is inferior and maybe it isn't! Content providers aren't sharing your POV.

They support Chromecast because of DRM, coolballs.
(2015-08-23, 16:48)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-08-22, 22:55)Asphyx Wrote: Well Ned maybe it is inferior and maybe it isn't! Content providers aren't sharing your POV.

They support Chromecast because of DRM, coolballs.

The DRM you mention is included in the HTML5 player/receivers the CCast loads when a stream is sent to it. Netflix is the ONLY one with an app that actually exists on the CCast itself as part of the firmware which makes it problematical to support but supporting a protocol that Netflix is part owner of might give them enough confidence in Kodi to change their mind on creating an addon for it.

You have to admit that Kodi has a perception problem with the big content providers. They have this notion (false as it may be) that Kodi is a project meant to steal copyrighted content or get around their marketplace restrictions.

By providing them a means they DO TRUST to support a device like Roku and Chromecast they might change their mind about that.

My issue isn't really your lack of support for CCast since I have one and don't need you to support it...
My issue is more with the attitude we get whenever someone suggests Kodi look at implementing new ways that content is being distributed only to be told Our Way is Better we don't need to keep up with what the rest of the world is doing.

Open Source Project with a closed minded management is not conducive to getting people to contribute so readily.

It's your project and you can do what you wish but some of us wish the focus was as much on supporting emerging video technologies and not so rigid on what was a great core principle 5 years ago but is very much antiquated with the way people fling content these days.

Kodi IMO should be working towards making a platform independent software that can replace a Roku and CCast and FireTV and make multiple platforms be able to do whatever these devices can do only better.
Why do you keep ignoring comments from the dev team about the technical reasons for why Chromecast support isn't happening?
I'm completely open to adding a CC support. I have zero objections regarding it. I'm not a dev, and my comments are not indicating what we will or will not accept.

My comments are in reply to the merits of a CC itself. Every company tries to reinvent the wheel every few years. Yes, it has a lot of support now, but so did other things. I don't think Chromecast will stand the test of time, because it's only Google's baby. A protocol like that typically needs greater vender/hardware support (on the receiving end) to last more than a few years, IMO.

In other words, I don't think it is a big deal that we don't support it. However, if CC support was added in Kodi, I would see that as a positive. If someone feels that it is worth adding, even if it is a short term protocol, that's great.
(2015-08-24, 00:29)0wing Wrote: Why do you keep ignoring comments from the dev team about the technical reasons for why Chromecast support isn't happening?

I'm not ignoring those comments....
Just not accepting their premise that because they have a A WAY to be targeted that other targeting methods that are supported by the major content providers are INFERIOR and therefore should be ignored.

Sure there are technical hurdles to overcome!
Just playing multiple audio tracks, supporting subtitles and supporting downloadable subtitles were also big technical hurdles at one point.
But when the project supported SRT subs it didn't then say to requests that "Our system works so no need to add opensubtitle support to the system because what we have is adequate!"
(2015-08-24, 00:46)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm completely open to adding a CC support. I have zero objections regarding it. I'm not a dev, and my comments are not indicating what we will or will not accept.

My comments are in reply to the merits of a CC itself. Every company tries to reinvent the wheel every few years. Yes, it has a lot of support now, but so did other things. I don't think Chromecast will stand the test of time, because it's only Google's baby. A protocol like that typically needs greater vender/hardware support (on the receiving end) to last more than a few years, IMO.

In other words, I don't think it is a big deal that we don't support it. However, if CC support was added in Kodi, I would see that as a positive. If someone feels that it is worth adding, even if it is a short term protocol, that's great.

Ned please don't take what I was saying personally....Maybe you are correct that the life o the CCast will be short...
Just as short as it will be for the Roku and FireTV and AndroidTV etc...etc...But Google and Netflix have combined to make the DIAL system (which is what we really are talking about in the end) and the Major TV networks are all adding this support to their app offerings!

While the device itself may not last another 5 years the method for discovery and targeting of rendering devices will NOT change all that much.

UPnP is not being supported by these content providers. Those that support Airplay DO WORK with Kodi as Kodi has seen fit to support this.
There is no reason why the other methods they use can't be added!

Will it be tough to do? All coding is tough to do if you want to do it correctly!
But to just dismiss it because it is tough and you have you own method that no one else is supporting already is a poor excuse for dismissal!

Yes there are technical hurdles!
Thats what Coding is all about overcoming!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi chromecast receiver0