• 9(current)
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations
(2016-01-24, 12:53)misa Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 20:29)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-01-23, 18:40)Piers Wrote: You got a warning for mentioning violating our rules and piracy policy, as well as being rude to Team Members on more than one occasion.

The post you were warned on has nothing to do with your warning. I can remove your warning, find another post, and extend it to a ban if you prefer.

I know you are trying to stand up for other team members, but Martijn didn't respond well either. Sometimes people should sleep in the beds they have made. Because, really, that was weird.

Is there some whole other conversation going on, because people are snapping at each other over nothing? Forcing threads closed and getting downright angry over mundane conversations, I don't understand why any of this is escalating the way it is.

Maybe there's some breakdown in communication all around?

Thanks Ned, I really don't understand it also. It's getting real difficult to write something critical and don't be affraid to get a warning.

No, it's not. You've been rude on multiple occasions and now warned for a one month period. You've PM'd me and I've explained this.

Being critical is very different to informing us that "Illegal addons don't excist" and asking and demanding a team member "Step back and just code and never reply on any posts" <- That's the reason for your warning. As I said, it can turn into a ban if you continue.

Please leave the matter.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
I have and want to react because your conclusion on a point is not 100% correct. You are taking some out of there context "Illegal addons don't excist" When you read that discussion and my whole post and others I tried to explain why and this was inside the discussion of the Youtube addon and it was a normal discusiion and not to promote anything.

Please leave the matter, ok I will but I certainly like to react when something is not right or wrong understood even when your line is there that I will risk a ban if I react, I think that's not fair but this will be my last comment.
(2016-01-24, 20:10)misa Wrote: I have and want to react because your conclusion on a point is not 100% correct. You are taking some out of there context "Illegal addons don't excist" When you read that discussion and my whole post and others I tried to explain why and this was inside the discussion of the Youtube addon and it was a normal discusiion and not to promote anything.

Please leave the matter, ok I will but I certainly like to react when something is not right or wrong understood even when your line is there that I will risk a ban if I react, I think that's not fair but this will be my last comment.

I picked a couple of examples. I've answered your PM's, I've replied to you on two threads, and I've asked you to stop. You've continued and have been banned for one week.

@Piers, I'm really confused by your entire reaction to misa. There is a big difference between being respectful and never being allowed to say anything negative about a person.

You're a good guy, Piers. You don't need to stand up for other people when they acted like an asshole, team member or not. Overall, Martijn is a good guy as well, but the people have a right to point out occasional abuse. misa probably commented on that behavior in the best way possible, all things considered.

For the piracy policy stuff, I think you've misunderstood what misa was saying. He was commenting on the python scripts themselves and if they could be considered the pirated content or not, for the sake of a friendly discussion.

There are a lot of people we should be mad at, like those assholes trying to make the Kodi magazine. Let's not waste time fighting between good and reasonable people.

EDIT: you've banned him now? What the heck is going on here?
(2016-01-24, 21:02)Ned Scott Wrote: @Piers, I'm really confused by your entire reaction to misa. There is a big difference between being respectful and never being allowed to say anything negative about a person.

You're a good guy, Piers. You don't need to stand up for other people when they acted like an asshole, team member or not. Overall, Martijn is a good guy as well, but the people have a right to point out occasional abuse. misa probably commented on that behavior in the best way possible, all things considered.

For the piracy policy stuff, I think you've misunderstood what misa was saying. He was commenting on the python scripts themselves and if they could be considered the pirated content or not, for the sake of a friendly discussion.

There are a lot of people we should be mad at, like those assholes trying to make the Kodi magazine. Let's not waste time fighting between good and reasonable people.

EDIT: you've banned him now? What the heck is going on here?

Of course people can express their opinions, but you certainly no the cut-off, Ned, and that asking once or twice should be enough Smile

But, he was asked previously to be a little more respectful, and then asked again, and then demanded an explanation about the warning, and then asked in here as well (after an explanation over three PM's had been given), then asked to stop, then continued.

It's only a week's ban, not permanent.

This company is selling pirated addons, pre-installed Kodi on all their boxes.
Their prices translate to around $245 per box.
It looks like Cloudnetgo RK3188/RK3288 boxes

https://www.facebook.com/get2easysa
https://twitter.com/liveandroidtv

Can anything be done?
Yet another example of a blatant Kodi's trademark violation: http://kodiportugal.pt/ (feel free to remove the link after reading)

Why this bothers me as a user/contributor:
-It happens to be in Portugal
-It uses the kodi word in the URL in combination with the country name which makes every new user to think they represent Kodi here when none of the administrators have contributed anything either for kodi or extensions.
-Kodi logos are all over the place as if it was a legit website
-The sites focus on shitty IPTV lists and piracy addon tutorials. Recently they start to mix official addons (like tunein, weather, etc) which leads to users thinking all is the same.
-They happen to be sponsored now by some companies that actually sponsor kodi (e.g. wetek). Wetek banners are presented in the website (as proud sponsors of kodi and openelec) and some giveaways take place every now and then which increases confusion and puts wetek in a dubious situation.

Why to even care to share:
The administrators of the website when made aware of the Trademark violation state they have sent in the past an email to the XBMC foundation requesting authorization to use the kodi name on their website. As they got no reply from the foundation they assumed everything was okay and continued to do their business as usual. They at least seem to be interested in changing the url/behaviour if someone from the foundation/Kodi team confirms they are actually violating the trademark and making harm to the kodi brand/community.

Is this allowed?
Offering lawyers 90% of the proceeds of any judgment, might kick off some activity.
You think they'd accept such a pay cut?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
of or off 90% of anything is the lions share, but Apple has it's own lawyers I heard.
(2016-01-29, 00:38)enen92 Wrote: Yet another example of a blatant Kodi's trademark violation: http://kodiportugal.pt/ (feel free to remove the link after reading)

Why this bothers me as a user/contributor:
-It happens to be in Portugal
-It uses the kodi word in the URL in combination with the country name which makes every new user to think they represent Kodi here when none of the administrators have contributed anything either for kodi or extensions.
-Kodi logos are all over the place as if it was a legit website
-The sites focus on shitty IPTV lists and piracy addon tutorials. Recently they start to mix official addons (like tunein, weather, etc) which leads to users thinking all is the same.
-They happen to be sponsored now by some companies that actually sponsor kodi (e.g. wetek). Wetek banners are presented in the website (as proud sponsors of kodi and openelec) and some giveaways take place every now and then which increases confusion and puts wetek in a dubious situation.

Why to even care to share:
The administrators of the website when made aware of the Trademark violation state they have sent in the past an email to the XBMC foundation requesting authorization to use the kodi name on their website. As they got no reply from the foundation they assumed everything was okay and continued to do their business as usual. They at least seem to be interested in changing the url/behaviour if someone from the foundation/Kodi team confirms they are actually violating the trademark and making harm to the kodi brand/community.

Is this allowed?

I did not see Kodi being Trademark registered in the EU. Portugal is within th EU.

I believe Kodi is only trademark registered with the US and even then. They do not have the money, time nor will to drag people to court. They use the trademark as tool for take down requests, not much more.
enen92, does RatoTV (piracy content, paid accounts and blocked by portuguese ISP) rings any bells to you? Smile
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations0