• 5(current)
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations
I like the sound of that.powered by kodi.makes it seem like powered by dodge or something.
Quote:At this point we've killed our search engine rankings by making the titles too long, and that just results in...

Lost profits as well? I think you forgot to mention that part of it, right? Of course you did because that's what all your fussing is really about, isn't it? But you can't say that now, can you? You're using every trick in the book just to save your ass and there's only one person making you look stupid (maybe two after my post).

Here's another analogy. You walk into Maison de Kodi and there's a sign that says "Remove Shoes". You're wearing sandals so you walk in their home and the first thing you say is "Hey, there's some guys there wearing boots and shoes". They see you with your sandals on and instead of kicking you out of their home for the mess YOU have made with YOUR sandals, they have kindly asked you to remove your sandals. You refuse stating the sign mentions shoes only. They have even said "Ok, we will change the sign to include all types of footwear" just to appease your insolence. They have sat down with you in their home and listened to you acting smart, being argumentative, getting emotional and pointing fingers. The hallmarks of an adolescent.

You're piggybacking off of the Kodi name whether it was intentionally or mistakenly (guess which one your stubbornness to respect their wishes makes it look) and making profits all in the name of your pocket. These folks are not doing it for their pockets but for the good of the community ONLY. How dare you carry such an attitude around people whose intentions are vastly more respectable than yours, Eleazar. You should be GRATEFUL that they are still talking to you and not banning you saying "GTFO and take this lawsuit with you" for carrying on as such.

Corporate greed has run amuck and has literally enslaved the common folk by hiding behind laws and manipulating people through media, laws, force, trickery, etc. Our last saving grace is the freedom the internet provides to us common folk and that is who I believe the Foundation is for- not for pesky, weaselly dollar grubbers who bitch and moan when the Foundation won't sing their tune.

Kudos to the Kodi team.

PS. Before I get accused of being one of his competitors, let me just say the reason why my first post is defending the Foundation is because the Foundation stands for people like me. And because I stand for truth and justice. And because I'm still absorbing everything I can about HTPC's and Kodi and the like ahead of buying my first box, but when I saw this thread I was compelled to say something.

PPS. In Eleazar's case, "Powered by Kodi" is the catch phrase to his website's bank account.

(ADD grammar edit)
(2015-01-22, 07:47)Eleazar Coding Wrote: I feel like I'm currently being treated unfairly, and being spoken to in a very demeaning tone; not to mention the fact that several replies have simply been written in a way that made me look stupid, even though the substance of the reasoning was false.

I respect you guys, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come off as an asshole. Without your work, and the XBMC Foundation's long history of work, none of this would be possible.

Alright... now that we've had a nice turn with the feeling stick, back to the point at hand. Do you plan on dropping the word Kodi from your logo or not?
Man, looking at the facebook page of tvaddons, there really can be absolutely no doubt, that they're pretending to be kodi.

From the page:
What is Kodi? ==> Link to a youtube video advertising tvaddons
Install guide ==> Link to the tvaddon website
Discussions Forums ==> Link to their forums

The place is full of postings like "What are you looking on your xbmc/kodi today?", "What kind of device are you running kodi on?". They don't share Team Kodi's posting when Helix was released, they copy it and release the news under their own name, even advising that users should be careful when updating, because it might break addons.

"It's our mission to spread the enjoyment of XBMC across the globe, and today we need your help! XBMC is the Future of Online Streaming and is now easier than ever to install.(...) posted on November, 8th 2014.

It's absolutely ridiculous to even defend against charges of sewing confusion.
(2015-01-22, 22:41)DarkHelmet Wrote: They don't share Team Kodi's posting when Helix was released, they copy it and release the news under their own name, even advising that users should be careful when updating, because it might break addons.

I've opted to stay out as I have mixed feelings towards discussion here and understand both sides of the argument, and I agree tvaddons could use some more work to be it's own entity

But for this claim I feel a need to defend Eleazar, as this topic was brought up multiple times internally at the site to stop exactly what you are accusing, seems like you are just trying to jump in on the 'fun' taking wild swings hoping one will hit

We ensured that whoever is posting news in the forums ALWAYS puts a credit and link to the source. No where is it being passed off as their own name as you say, and re-posting news articles in this manner is very common place. So take another look and acknowledge that this is being done on ever article, whether from Kodi or from any other source

What issue is there in advising users to upgrade?
The thing is each and every single posting might even be fine individually. Still in the overall context of the facebook postings this one just struck me even more.

There's a difference between the words of a rule and the spirit of a rule. Because there will always be potential misunderstandings in written texts usually in modern juridical texts there's always a summarizing part in the beginning stating what the following paragraphs are meant to achieve. TVaddons is acting like someone living by the words of a rule, yet disregarding the spirit of a rule.

It's next to impossible to point a finger at THE single posting that's not within the words of trademark rules. They probably all are fine within the words of the rules but still personally I think the overall impression is that the spirit of the rule is not being followed.
@DarkHelmet I didn't break the "spirit of the rule" either, we did more than asked for in the trademark guidelines from the get-go; I'm being bullied right now after months of no issue occuring, likely because some "representatives" of Chinese manufacturers (who can't access sketchier addons from China in the first place anyway) weren't given proper instruction by whoever does their technical development; not my fault at all; these guys probably haven't even used XBMC at all in the first place.

------------

I'm going to be changing the logo on the web site itself, but you cannot expect us to redo all of our tools and addons with the new logo (until the next planned update of said addons, tools, or applications), I don't have the source code for most of them, and pushing updates to dozens of addons to change the logo isn't exactly plausable either in terms of server capacity.

I'll obviously be implementing the new logo into future branding materials, going backwards and recreating all old materials will not be possible since I don't have the raw source for much of it.

At the same time, I will insist that this thread be deleted in its entirety, since it provides nothing positive towards the community whatsoever; and to the blind eye, in reading it you'd think that I was in the wrong, when in fact I followed your trademark guidelines to the tee, and had previously asked for the approval of several staff members here who never said anything was wrong.

Once the logo change is made, does the web site satisfy your concerns?

------------

Again, I'm trying to make you guys happy, I love XBMC and Kodi, and love everyone behind it too. Please don't take this the wrong way, I am simply questioning you as a means of understanding the rules better for future reference.
@nedscott
Why did you ban that guy? I see no reason to do that and you should lift the ban or I will.

@eleazar
Stop reporting post because you disagree!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-01-23, 00:29)Eleazar Coding Wrote: Once the logo change is made, does the web site satisfy your concerns?

I'm going to give a solid maybe. Post again when it's updated. No offense, but I feel like I actually need to see the changes before I can say whether they are enough.
I'm expecting to have the logo changed tomorrow or the next day at latest, I hope; I need to wait until the designer sends me the raw image files.

@Martijn I didn't report a post because I disagree, I reported a post because this whole conversation from the beginning is fueled by nonsense and I don't think that posts that have no positive value should have a place here, it just acts as a means of making me look bad without contributing anything substantial to the conversation.

Which is my other issue, the fact that three quarters of the responses here make me look horrible, although I was in the right from the get-go. I corrected what you guys wanted corrected, now have some respect for someone who is also part of your community, and who has contributed a lot to it.

With that being said, as I said I'm expecting this entire thread to be deleted once the issues brought up are addressed and corrected.
We don't delete threads
(2015-01-23, 04:56)Eleazar Coding Wrote: @Martijn I didn't report a post because I disagree, I reported a post because this whole conversation from the beginning is fueled by nonsense and I don't think that posts that have no positive value should have a place here, it just acts as a means of making me look bad without contributing anything substantial to the conversation.

I actually thought doing the 8 factors test analysis was extraordinarily useful, as other sites could look at that post to see if and how it might apply to their own websites. To some extent, it would need to be generalized, but I'm pretty seriously contemplating tacking a more general version of it onto the wiki so people can better understand what we're looking for when we ask that people not be overly confusing.
@natethomas that "8 Factor Test Analysis" is totally offbase; how would you rate Coca Cola and Pepsi according to that test? I also find it very strange that you aren't going after SuperRepo at all, even though you have contact with them and they are much clearer violators of the trademark guidelines in "the rule of the law."

This thread is more slanderous than anything; it contains all kinds of false information that in turn makes me look bad because of the sources of that information.

I'm reluctant to change the logo without confirmation that this thread will be deleted afterwards; due to the abusive nature of the thread, and due to the fact that I'm being made to look like the bad guy, when in fact all trademark guidelines were followed to the tee since day one; and as I said before I'll say again, they were shown to many members of your team prior to us launching, no one said anything was wrong.

I have cooperated fully, and keeping this thread here serves no good purpose other than to make me look bad, when I did nothing wrong in the first place.

@Martijn I would reconsider the way you speak to people in all honesty, and I'm saying this to you only because I constantly see you "put people down" or treat people as if they are stupid in threads, You're not the only voice of the community, this project wouldn't exist if it weren't for community support.
(2015-01-23, 05:08)Eleazar Coding Wrote: This thread is more slanderous than anything; it contains all kinds of false information that in turn makes me look bad because of the sources of that information.

There you go using the word "slanderous" again. I can't figure out why you are using it. Is it a veiled threat? Are you saying you are considering legal action with regards to this thread? Or is it just a word you heard that you liked? As far as I can tell, pretty much everything in this thread said by a team member is either verifiably true or opinion, with the sole exception being attempts to discern the intent of certain decisions, and even those statements at least had some grounds behind them. If you can identify exact quotes from team members that are verifiably false, I'd love to see them.

Here's the situation. There's virtually no chance this thread is going to be deleted, both because we generally don't delete things, and we certainly don't delete things of a contentious nature. Having a log of exactly what people said is useful for reference later. For example, we never deleted the thread in which we discussed exactly how to shape our forum piracy rules. If that means you aren't going to change the logo, feel free to say so.
Do not start slandering me!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Reporting Kodi Trademark Violations0