AirPlay - video advertising but no audio
hi, I have been playing around trying to get my rPi working with Kodi and AirPlay for ages

However, I have drawn a blank and have had to come and ask. I have looked at the known issues and AirPlay normal problems but none of them have helped.

My rPi and all my apple devices (MacBook, iPad, iPhone) are on the same wireless network (rPi has a wifi usb adaptor) using a Vodafone easybox router that hasn't caused any other issues before. I never get the AirPlay option appear on any device for audio playback. The obvious issue is with the wifi however my MacBook shows the option to use AirPlay to add the rPi as a screen...that obviously is unsupported but it does mean avahi is running and advertising. I've also checked on the command line and it is indeed running. I couldn't find any updates for it through yum/apt-get or whatever it uses

I've tried every option of rebooting to fix it. I believe the rPi is running the latest raspbian and its running helix.

I'm sure it used to work but I'm only in this flat every so often and it may have been August I last tried.

I'm happy to send logs but I'm not sure which one as avahi is obviously running and something is happening, and I don't want to spam logs for no reason.

Any suggestions?

Chris
I've read your post a couple of times and I'm not entirely sure what you want to do.
Read this: http://kodi.wiki/view/AirPlay

Mirroring is not supported, so you won't get your mac display appearing on Kodi.
You should be able to get audio or (non-DRM) videos playing from an iPhone/iPad to Kodi.
sounds like a compile without enabled airtunes/libshairplay support - but only guessing without debug log (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks both of you

As per my first post, I have read all the wifi on AirPlay and none of it covers my issue

AirPlay is probably compiled as the Mac is offering AirPlay mirroring so avahi is broadcasting OK. As I said, I know it is unsupported but it shows that avahi is running and AirPlay advertising is partly working. I'm happy to send logs but as it is a strange issue its a case of what to send as I can't test a connection (as the idevices don't detect the AirPlay broadcast) so which logs would help - do you pull in low level logs from services in the log files you create - or I can just send the lot if you want?

It really is an annoyingly strange issue. A bit of me thinks it's not within kodi in any way and its a bug with avahi daemon as the AirPlay broadcast to idevices shouldn't have anything to do with anything you have done in kodi - as far as I can tell that's just a basic low level avahi daemon task - but Google just gives back trash when looking for past similar issues.
You got me wrong - but whatever - post debug log (wiki) and i might be able to proof my theory or not Wink - just fyi - there are 2 broadcasts involved in airplay. 1. AirPlay (video + photo) and 2. AirTunes (audio) - i feel the second is missing and this can only be the case when the build was configured without airtunes support (but airplay support). You could also install "Bonjour Browser" on your mac and check if you see both:

"_airplay._tcp" (airplay)

and

"_raop._tcp" (airtunes)

But as said - i can look this up too in debug log (wiki)

Also wonky/faked mac addresses on the server have influence on the airplay announcements (sometimes the network is not up when kodi starts and then airplay will announce a fake mac adress like 01:02:03:04:05 - which will not be picked up by ios devices - you need to ensure that network is up prior the start of kodi - for example by enabling the "wake up remote server" feature of kodi).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Ahhh ok sorry, yes I misunderstood. I'll grab the logs when I get home - I didn't realise the video and audio broadcasts were different...

Thanks!
You know those times when you just can't win

I rebooted my pi without thinking and before I enabled debug...and it updated itself to a new build. And of course...AirPlay now works again!

And of course, because it did that before I did any debug logging I don't know what version I had before and now, but it does at least work

I don't know how raspbmc work witht taking your main releases but perhaps I was out of date or ion a strange build.

Anyhoo, not much more I can do and it works so thanks for your help and quick replies

Chris
Well it will come back to you for sure ... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AirPlay - video advertising but no audio0