Win Kodi, Synololgy NAS, and Internet Media Sharing
Good morning!

I've been digging all over the place for assistance with setting up Kodi to remotely talk to my Synology NAS and pull the media. I've tried a few formats but they all seem to have some critical bug or flaw which prevents it from stably working. Any advise or assistance people can give without trolling would be really helpful.

So far I've only pursued routes with SSL included as I didn't want Comcast sniffing my traffic and complaining I'm sharing movies. If comcast isn't going to care then SSL isn't a requirement. I've only been able to get Kodi to accept WebDAV HTTPS with the direct IP as the server name. Kodi only take then domain name on the internal LAN for some reason. However you can browse via web or various Synology apps to the domain name externally and it works perfectly. The domain name issue seems to be isolated to Kodi when using SSL.

I know folks are going to skim and assume so let me just get this out there: YES the ports are forwarded correctly on the router and YES it works for every other app BUT Kodi.

WebDav:
HTTPS only works when using my direct IP. If it put in my domain name (diskstation.freezegunn.com:5006) as the server it won't connect, ever. If I use the direct IP Kodi can log into the HTTPS Webdav just fine. Works great except someday Comcast will change my home IP and then all remote clients will need to be manually changed. Also the domain name works perfectly for every other app but Kodi, even windows can map the WebDav location as a normal mapped drive.

SFTP:
The Synology system for some awful reason requires you to use admin to log into SFTP, not giving out admin account to folks just to watch a few movies.

FTPS:
Also unable to connect, issue appears to be in how Kodi handles and chokes on the OpenSSL cert. Works fine for other apps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi, Synololgy NAS, and Internet Media Sharing0