Tv tuner set up
Brilliant - the thing I had done wrong was not saving each page - I had saved, but after doing all three pages of tv channels so infact the last page had saved but not the first two. I also found it necessary to go to config/channel epg/channels and untick and save there too. And reboot after doing the resets.

Well, I'm (im)patiently waiting for my mpeg2 license to arrive! Can it really take 72 hours in this day and age?

I just need to know how to set the folder for recordings now!!! Then that's it!
*Just to add - I did find the record folder settings on the tvheadend page - but I don't know the first part of the address I need - at the moment it sais "/storage/recordings" I presume there is an initial part to the path, then I just need to direct it to the hard drive I have connected.

Oh - just a tiny thing for developers - I thought it would be good if there was a little bar somewhere to indicate how far down the guide you are, when clicking down.
/storage/recordings points it to the "recordings" folder on the "/storage" mount which will be the /storage parition(?) of your SD card.

If you are using an external hard drive you will need to find the path to that.

It may be /media/DRIVENAME - you can probably find it by going to either the File Manager in OpenElec or an option like "Add Videos..." and then selecting "Root filesystem" and then "media" which will then show the list of hard drives (and other USB media) that are mounted.

I have a Seagate hard drive called "500GB" and it is mounted as "/media/500GB" (Not the worlds most exciting name for a drive...)

If I wanted to store recordings on it I'd probably create a folder on it called "Recordings" and then in TV Headend point the recorder to "media/500GB/Recordings"

My licences have usually arrived the next day - worth checking your spam folders. Though the Pi 2 has no doubt caused a spike in licence purchases, so I suspect the Pi Foundation are a bit inundated.
Thanks - I got my license last nite in the end and all working now - though it looks like I need to muck around with the deinterlacing settings.

After a bit of experimentation, I found that media/drivename/Recorded TV did it for me (the folder was already present on the drive with all the recordings from my xbmc build on the previous media centre). I just wasn't sure if I needed to put anything before such as "Root filesytem" but I didn't need to.
Going into "Recordings" on the Kodi menu now brings me to the ".." and bottom r/h of screen displays a handy bar and storage used/available - although I still have to enter on the ".." then enter "drive name" then enter "recorded tv" - I think I need to tell Kodi what's going on regarding the chosen storage folder.
I think - currently - that MMAL Bob is the best de-interlacing setting. MMAL Advanced currently adds some odd artefacts - but popcornmix is working on fixing this.

You may need to scroll down to the bottom of the video settings and make it the default for all files. (It will only kick in on interlaced stuff if you leave the interlaced on/off/auto setting set to auto)
Hi noggin I have just been following your instructions also and there great but for some reason on mine I've added freeview into networks and selected my nearest mast (winter hill) and all seems OK but when it scans the scan results say failed on every row.
Do you have any idea why it would fail
Cheers
Hi Steve,

The last two of eight muxes also failed on my set up - but I don't seem to be missing any channels. With nothing at all though... can you be sure your aerial connection is ok?
(2015-02-23, 20:27)JohnyLondon Wrote: Hi Steve,

The last two of eight muxes also failed on my set up - but I don't seem to be missing any channels. With nothing at all though... can you be sure your aerial connection is ok?
Hi Johny,
The aerial isn't fantastic but it does pick up the channels on the TV but is a little jumpy.
But I've just looked at the TV to check and the picture seems worse than normal for some reason.
So is it just a case of my signal then.. Not a setting I'm getting wrong?
I'm sure noggin will answer re the settings, but from my experience with pc tv tuners, they are rarely as strong as the dedicated hardware in your tv - after all the tv manufacturers product lives or dies on being able to receive a signal.

However... that you are getting absolutely nothing does seem odd. Sorry it's prolly the blind leading the blind here - I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the software side of things.

You did say the signal is now seeming worse than normal on the tv though - I'm imagining you are just unplugging the lead from tv then putting into your usb tuner, then back to the tv again? If so it could easily have gone a bit loose inside - especially if it isn't the molded on type. Or do you have separate leads off of a splitter? Then try swapping over which one goes where. Failing all that - you might find you pick up something at a different time of day - signal strength/clarity can vary. I'm prolly barking up the wrong tree... but at least then you could rule out the software settings.

As a last thought - would a non compatible (with Linux) tuner get this far then give these symptoms?
(2015-02-23, 23:14)JohnyLondon Wrote: I'm sure noggin will answer re the settings, but from my experience with pc tv tuners, they are rarely as strong as the dedicated hardware in your tv - after all the tv manufacturers product lives or dies on being able to receive a signal.

However... that you are getting absolutely nothing does seem odd. Sorry it's prolly the blind leading the blind here - I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the software side of things.

You did say the signal is now seeming worse than normal on the tv though - I'm imagining you are just unplugging the lead from tv then putting into your usb tuner, then back to the tv again? If so it could easily have gone a bit loose inside - especially if it isn't the molded on type. Or do you have separate leads off of a splitter? Then try swapping over which one goes where. Failing all that - you might find you pick up something at a different time of day - signal strength/clarity can vary. I'm prolly barking up the wrong tree... but at least then you could rule out the software settings.

As a last thought - would a non compatible (with Linux) tuner get this far then give these symptoms?
Thanks for the help.
I've seen how it's meant to be done now so ill just keep having a mess around see what comes up.
I have since found out use transmitter I selected on the networks is not my actual transmitter for my area but it doesn't have mine listed in there so I'm trying to find the manual info I need to set it up.
It's not a big issue its just I had a spare tuner lying around and thought I would see what's its like,
I probably would never use it with having sky TV
Steve_uk - you need to find your actual transmitter frequencies and add them manually. The BBC reception or Ofcom sites might help, or ukfreetv?

Type your postcode here : http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction and see which transmitters are shown for your area. You can then click on them and it will bring up a lift of the frequencies used for each mux (PSB1 = BBC SD, PSB2 = ITV/C4/5 SD, PSB3 = BBC/ITV/C4 HD etc.) which can then be added manually into TV Headend (Add Mux) You can usually leave most settings to AUTO - though you may need to select 8MHz bandwidth and convert the frequencies from MHz to the Hz or kHz that TV Headend uses (can't remember which at the moment(
(2015-02-24, 00:50)noggin Wrote: Steve_uk - you need to find your actual transmitter frequencies and add them manually. The BBC reception or Ofcom sites might help, or ukfreetv?

Type your postcode here : http://www.ukfree.tv/prediction and see which transmitters are shown for your area. You can then click on them and it will bring up a lift of the frequencies used for each mux (PSB1 = BBC SD, PSB2 = ITV/C4/5 SD, PSB3 = BBC/ITV/C4 HD etc.) which can then be added manually into TV Headend (Add Mux) You can usually leave most settings to AUTO - though you may need to select 8MHz bandwidth and convert the frequencies from MHz to the Hz or kHz that TV Headend uses (can't remember which at the moment(
Thanks for that noggin.
I did find my transmitter last night called 'Glossop Transmitter' but couldn't find the details I needed for it but that wasn't on any of them sites you mentioned so I will look at them when I get home.
I think I could do with a better aerial to be honest I've just never bothered but I have a plug in amplified one which I will try out tonight Smile
Thanks again
Just had a quick look on my phone and I couldn't find the info the link you said but found it here
http://fmscan.org/ml.php?r=t&t=2800667
So I should be good to go tonight Smile
http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/GLOSSOP (First hit on UK Free TV Glossop on Google Smile )

It's a Freeview Light transmitter so only carries the PSB1-3 channels (i.e. the main terrestrial networks in SD and HD but not some of the +1s, BBC News HD or BBC Four/CBeebies HD as they are on COM4-7) The fmscan link has the RF frequencies in Exx channel number form so you'd need to convert these to frequencies, which is why I use ukfree.tv as it shows both.

You'll see the useful frequency information for each multiplex next to the Cxx RF channel number on ukfree.tv : PSB1 = 530MHz, PSB2=506MHz, PSB3=482MHz (PSB3 is DVB-T2 so won't work with a DVB-T-only tuner)

I think TV Headend may have switched from kHz to Hz for DVB-T channel frequencies so you will either enter 530000kHz or 530000000Hz when adding the muxes manually.
(2015-02-24, 11:52)noggin Wrote: http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/GLOSSOP (First hit on UK Free TV Glossop on Google Smile )

It's a Freeview Light transmitter so only carries the PSB1-3 channels (i.e. the main terrestrial networks in SD and HD but not some of the +1s, BBC News HD or BBC Four/CBeebies HD as they are on COM4-7)

You'll see the useful frequency information for each multiplex next to the Cxx RF channel number : PSB1 = 530MHz, PSB2=506MHz, PSB3=482MHz (PSB3 is DVB-T2 so won't work with a DVB-T-only tuner)

I think TV Headend may have switched from kHz to Hz for DVB-T channel frequencies so you will either enter 530000kHz or 530000000Hz when adding the muxes manually.
Ha ha I thought I'd looked all through that site with my transmitter but I never got the page you've linked.
Cheers for that... You're well clued up on all this Smile
Been using DVB-T tuners since the early 00s...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tv tuner set up1