New HTPC build advice.
I'd start with something like this:

http://uk.hardware.info/products/2/2995-...therboards

... to shortlist what actually has an integrated CPU first of all. There aren't as many as you might think, as tinkerers like to... well, tinker. By definition, an integrated CPU limits your options, so check that it's up to snuff before making any decisions. A modern Celeron or Atom is a decent chip, though, and may even keep up with the ION ;-)

Personally, I went off MSI big time when I had a USB3 issue recently, and can't fault the Gigabyte board I used instead. MSI seemed to be more power-efficient, that said. Asus are also good from my limited experience... I'm sure someone else can chime in, though, with more experience than me (poofy, perhaps?).

pcpartpicker is a good resource for checking parts' compatibility as well as prices.

And decide if you mean mini ATX - or mini ITX - or micro ATX...
The Silverstone GD09 specification shows that it is compatible with Micro ATX motherboards so that would be my choice.

Silverstone GD-09

I'm not 100% set on having an integrated CPU, if you can suggest a non integrated motherboard I would be happy to have a look.

I was thinking that an integrated CPU with a large passive heatsink would be quieter.

I would also consider a full size ATX motherboard as long as it used less power than the Gigabyte GA-MA770 UD3 which I originally intended to use. I'm not convinced that the GA-MA770 UD3 is a suitable motherboard. If you feel that this is is sufficient let me know.

I also have a spare Intel Core i3 - 3240 3.4Ghz spare, Maybe I could go for a Micro ATX and use this CPU.

Decisions decisions....!
If power is a consideration, smaller boards/fewer components == less power. It's a simple relationship that chips need feeding.

If the CPU is spare, the 3240 is a decent enough CPU with a lowish TDP and competent graphics AFAIK. Okay, it's a couple of years old, but it'd still work for some time, so perhaps a socket 1155 mobo would be a quick-and-dirty. If you're running Linux, you don't need vast amounts of RAM, so two slots would be fine... then a PSU to match, and if you've no peripherals then you might get away with a PicoPSU with that sort of demand.

I can't recommend a specific mobo as it's a black art - opinion meets experience meets features meets prejudice. See what's important: price (what's a suitable board for that chip that's as small as it comes) vs longevity (evidently a 4th gen i7 with all the trimmings will last longer, but cost £400+ between CPU and board).

I like the power saving on the newer core chips - this i3 won't have that - but the new ones shut down what they're not using so it's negligible power draw.

What's the issue with the Gigabyte board? Because it's AMD, or something else?
The issue with the Gigabyte board may be due to my ignorance of modern hardware. I see it as a budget gaming motherboard and therefore unsuitable. It also lacks WOL functionality. I have tried and tried and can't get WOL to work even though the correct function is enabled in it's BIOS.

Other than that the motherboard is fine and has had little use as it's been inside my NAS server for three years. The NAS server is turned on only when we watch movies or play music, which is rare nowadays.

It has a dual core AMD Athlon CPU attached and I just upgraded from two to four GB RAM on the board. It's perfect really save for the WOL issue.

I don't have a problem with AMD, I have an AMD Phenom II Quad Core in my gaming PC, works great. I did have an AMD Athlon Tri Core but swapped it out as I got a bargain with the Phenom quad core.
Hi again

Iv'e been having some problems with my new HTPC and have been working in a post in the Linux section with another forum member. It seems that my problem is due to my ATI Radeon HD4800 display card not being up to the job.

Can you suggest a suitable display card or alternatively a motherboard which has on board HDMI.

I have an Intel Core i3-2128 3.30Ghz dual core possessor so something compatible with that would be best.

This is the other post, for your reference:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219501
A chap just suggested this one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-asus-...file-compa
And now this one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-asus-...-hdmi-lp-p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC build advice.0