Gonna build a system for my dad and need some help
So my parents have seen what Kodi can do on my computer and now my dad wants one of his own. What I'm wondering is if there is a simple system that my dad can use, think your grandparents trying to use it. All he needs is something to view his movies and possibly Netflix through play on and be wireless since their TV isn't anywhere near their fios router. I know something like an Amazon Fire TV would be nice. But when it comes to computers my dad knows pretty much nothing. So building a nas to hold his movies is pretty much out of the question. Especially since I've never built one so I wouldn't know what to do. So what I'm wondering is if it is best for me to just build a simple computer with a built in hard drive for their movies? My only other issue is that their TV is an hdtv. But it's the type that doesn't have hdmi. I know that sounds crazy. But they bought theirs just before that technology came out.
Wow...

Me thinks this WILL BE a never ending labor of love.

IF you start this project, YOU will be the sole support point of contact and you will effectively do everything.

My late mother eventually learned how to use email. Your father might eventually learn to save his movies on the NAS and index them.

Straight up AppleTV/FireTV/Nexus and no Kodi is the only "safe" choice.
(2015-02-11, 20:34)Tatts4Life Wrote: All he needs is something to view his movies and possibly Netflix

This might sound like a stupid question, but movies in DVD?
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
I assume you mean what kind does he have? He has probably 1,000 DVDs that consist of movies and TV series and wants to have a simple way of finding what he wants fast.
I think this would be the easiest way to transition for them. http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs

I would also suggest updating their television
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
The first thing you should consider is ripping his dvd's to a hard drive in a format like mkv. They can be stored in an external hard disk which is attached to his pc or directly to Kodi player, or one of those externals which also serve as a NAS.

For the player there are many cheap options depending on budget and how much time you want to spend - e.g. you can buy a premade Kodi box like the CuBox, any number of Android boxes - these will be plug and play with remote etc. You can build one yourself from a RPi2, Chromebox etc. But since he wants Netflix, Amazon FireTv looks like a safe bet.
The android boxes are too prone to error. Get a real PC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gonna build a system for my dad and need some help0