kodi dropping cache on ftp stream help
ok so im at work (night guard)

i load up kodi and it hooks into my ftp (raspberry pi sitting at home as an ftp server)
i can see all my media
i go to load a film

it goes straight to buffering
if i press o i see the cache goes up to a 2 or 3mb then goes back to 0 even though its not playing, its almost like the cache is being wiped every second

my advanced xml

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
   <buffermode>1</buffermode> <!-- Default is 1 -->
   <cachemembuffersize>320971520</cachemembuffersize> <!-- Default is 20971520 bytes or 20 MB -->
   <readbufferfactor>10.0</readbufferfactor> <!-- Default is 1.0 -->
</network>
<alwaysontop>yes</alwaysontop>
</advancedsettings>

these settings worked fine an hour or two ago when i watched a film over the ftp

i tried filezilla and was able to transfer a file at lightning fast speed via the ftp so im 90% sure something wrong with kodi

any ideas, really dont want to transfer the files as i watch them, kind of negates the point to having the stream set up

****************EDIT***********

ok this gets wierder, tv shows are working perfectly, its films that have the issue...but ..but thier the same ftp server! just different folders(in the same folder ie root/movies root/tv )

and i was watching a film earlier, just tried said film and it works....but the one i want to watch and others have the issue listed above...wtf?

***************EDIT 2***************

ok after some testing i have found that any film which is an avi file has this bug, and one mkv. that was out of testing about 10 files, if its avi it just fails to load or brings up the black screen and shows buffering, pressing o shows the cache goes up a few meg then 0 out.

does kodi not support avi? or avi via ftp? or do i need to configure something, install something?

really need some help guys

***************EDIT 3***************
as you can tell im not one for just sitting around waiting Smile

I have a work around,

on the pi i installed mkvtoolnix

Code:
sudo apt-get install mkvtoolnix

and converted the avi to a mkv (well to be precise i converted the container)
Code:
mkvmerge -o newFileName.mkv originalFileName.avi

the resulting mkv plays perfectly (even though its the same audio and video content) *note* havent watched the film yet so no idea if sync issues between audion video...shouldnt be ofcourse.

so thats the work around and shows that the issue is the avi container (an extension im very familier with and has been going about for years...tbh i had never heard of mkv extensions (or mp4) untill i started looking at them, i just assumed mp3 was audio avi/wmv is video...perhaps thats my age showing)

so yeah work around works, but how do we solve the avi issue, really dont want to have to go convert my files whn ever i stumble on an avi lol, poor little pi !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi dropping cache on ftp stream help0