Equipment, software, recipe, list please
New to Kodi, lots of good info, but a bit too much info and tech for me. I'm looking for simple list of required, gear & software.

I cut the cord. Live in US, get ATSC signal over the air. I have Kodi on Gateway notebook, running Windows 8.1. My notebook pc has USB and HDMI ports and 500GB storage. I can pretty much dedicate this notebook for Kodi and tv. I do not have Windows Media Center and prefer not to purchase for over $100. I want a simple to use PVR set up that works on my notebook. I'm not sure about front end, back end server side etc etc. I think I need a HD USB tuner to hook up to my antenna. I need some software to integrate into Kodi, so I can record my selected programs. I just downloaded Kodi v 14. I notice my version of Kodi doesn't have 'TV tuner' or any TV selection on the main banner, just 'program' 'video' etc. Thanks in advance. If this info is already on the forum, point me in the right direction. Thank you.
If you have Win 8.1 pro I think you can get WMC for $10. Other wise I might suggest NextPVR. But as you know you need a tuner. I haven't found any USB tuner worth using. Since you are using a laptop that I assume has LAN connection you might consider HD Homerun Connect which has 2 tuners that can get either ATSC (aka OTA) or Cable clear QAM (as cablecos encrypt even basic cable this is less usable). You connect the HD Homerun to your LAN and from there your laptop will pick up the data. Once you have your HD Homerun you can install NextPVR software and set it up to receive the OTA channels, location for recordings, EPG, etc. (Warning: getting good EPG for OTA is not easy and you might have to buy a subscription service to get EPG from the 'net.)

Once NextPVR is setup you can then enable the NextPVR client in any Kodi installs you are using (either on the laptop or any other device connected to the laptop LAN).

There's probably other paths you can take but when I was looking into it that seemed OK (but I had WMC so in the end switched to WMC with ServerWMC as better solution to NextPVR). I suppose an alternative is to use a "pseudo-TV" client like IPTV that you then point to internet sources for TV, but finding sources which are not copyright-infringing might be a problem.

scott s.
The USB 292e is a good option, I used to use one until I bought a TBS card.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Equipment, software, recipe, list please0