Win Permissions Issues NTFS Drive in Dual Boot
Greetings,

Pulling my hair out here trying to find out what's going on and can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I have a dual boot system that's looks like this:
500 GB Windows 8.1
350 GB Kodibuntu 14.1
1 TB NTFS drive with Movies, Music, Recorded TV
1 TB NTFS drive with backups, Photos, and misc files

The twi 1 TB drives were left unplugged from the system until after Windows and Kodibuntu were installed. The drives were plugged back into the system and read/write in Windows was no problem. Then I began to work with the folders/files in Kodibuntu, now all of the folders and files are owned by root with read/write permissions to everyone else. This works fine in Kodibuntu but the same files and folders are now inaccessible in Windows giving me the error that I do not have permission to use any of it. Needless to say this is stressing me out a bit.

I have tried everything I can think of to change permissions in Windows but don't have permission to do anything with the files or folders. I can open some of the folders and see the contents but cannot copy, rename, play, open, or do anything with either folders or files.

Can anyone point me towards how to regain permission to work with the content on these drives? They were fine before the Kodibuntu install and I have a post already over in the Linux support forum hoping for an answer from that end.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help with this very concerning issue.
Solved my own problem and posting here in case the info helps anyone else.

First thing is I used an fstab configuration to auto mount the drives in Kodibuntu, I used a configuration that I found online without understanding what it was doing. What it did was overwrite the owner info on the drives and then Windows couldn't deal with the change.
I updated fstab (see the post in the Linux forum). To change the ownership of the drives back in Windows 8.1 here are the steps I took:

Right Click on My PC
Choose Manage
in Computer Management right click on the drive or partition that needs ownership changed
Choose Properties
Click on Security tab
Click on Advanced button
Next to Owner, click on the Change link
Enter the word "Administrators" into the name box, click on Check Names
Choose with name given (mine was WINDOWS8/ADMINISTRATORS)
Click OK, then Apply

Close all open properties windows, when you reopen them the ownership will be changed.

All files and folders are now read/write.

Whew

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Permissions Issues NTFS Drive in Dual Boot0