Audio stuttering when playing mp3s [OpenElec]
(2015-03-14, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: The above user uses SMB - therefore I asked.

I basically think we have a VFS issue. Could be easily proofed when using system mounts, which OpenELEC also provides.

Edit: Here is a link on howto use system mounts in OE: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mounti...mple_mount

Btw. OpenELEC is also special as it ships a bumped SMB 3 version.

Sorry for the slow response - the forum never sent me an alert even though I subscribed.

I'll try mounts when I get a chance. I had used them in the past but the reason I stopped is because Kodi appears to only attempt a mount once, when the system is started up, and if that fails (or the system mount is lost at some point) then there's no way to retry without rebooting. With shares I can retry as many times as needed.
I have the exact same issue on all audio files and it's only been present since the upgrade to OpenELEC 5.0.x using both NFS and SMB.

Will also try to manually mount.
(2015-04-04, 00:27)Gamblor Wrote: I have the exact same issue on all audio files and it's only been present since the upgrade to OpenELEC 5.0.x using both NFS and SMB.

Gamblor - Haven't had a chance to try this since I had to tear my audio setup apart. Let me know if it works for you or not!
I can confirm the problem is solved for me when using this method. Previously the audio would stutter when browsing the audio library, especially during the loading of thumbnails (which loaded incredibly slow). Thumbnails now load instantly with no stuttering of playback at all.

(2015-04-04, 00:27)Gamblor Wrote: I have the exact same issue on all audio files and it's only been present since the upgrade to OpenELEC 5.0.x using both NFS and SMB.

(2015-04-04, 00:48)Gamblor Wrote: I can confirm the problem is solved for me when using this method. Previously the audio would stutter when browsing the audio library, especially during the loading of thumbnails (which loaded incredibly slow). Thumbnails now load instantly with no stuttering of playback at all.

Awesome. Which approach did you use for mounting, since I've seen a few?

Also, the problem I had with mounting is that sometimes if my share isn't available when the machine first boots up, then I can't re-mount later. Have you hit that?
I used the CIFS new method from this link

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Mounti...mple_mount

I've not had problems with the share not being available as yet but I have an always on NAS. I guess if it ever goes down it might be an issue, but I'm assuming a reboot of OpenELEC would fix it.

In saying that I'll only keep using this method until the issue is resolved.
This resolved the issue for me too, but there is an issue worth filing here since mp3s skip using SMB but not system mounts.
I have the same stuttering issues.

It only occurs when I play MP3 from my NAS. Streaming music or video from other sources I have no issues. Playing video files from the same NAS also no problem at all.

I use NFS shares.

Raspberry Pi 2
OpenELEC 7.0 (build from git on 17-03)

Created a storage-music.mount

[Unit]
Description=nfs mount script
Requires=network-online.service
After=network-online.service
Before=kodi.service

[Mount]
What=192.168.2.150:/nfs/Music
Where=/storage/music
Options=
Type=nfs

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Settings seem to work (tested by using mount -t nfs 192.168.2.150:/nfs/Music /storage/music -o nolock)

After that I checked the /Storage/music folder and that displayed my music files correctly.

Still stuttering...... Sad
It's been about a year since I started this thread. Just rebuilt my system with the lastest Openelec 6.0.3 - brand new install, formatted drive, etc. Mp3s still stutter like crazy over SMB, videos are still fine.

Cifs/Nfs are still alterantives, but the connection scripts only run once at startup and often fail (if the remote device is sleeping and needs to wake on LAN) - SMB connectivity is better since it can/will retry, just playback is horrible.

We can't be the only ones playing MP3s over SMB?
You use an outdated kodi that has no support anymore. Please ask those questions on OpenELEC's forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-08, 06:51)fritsch Wrote: You use an outdated kodi that has no support anymore. Please ask those questions on OpenELEC's forum.

Was this a known issue that was fixed in some Kodi release? if so, which release?

Last time I asked about this in the OpenElec forum I was referred here since it appears to be an SMB issue.
Just reinstalled again with Openelec 7 beta 3 (latest available). Not sure what Kodi version this corresponds to. Still stuttering.
Sadly I cannot reproduce ... tried with a NAS running ubuntu 16.04 - all fine.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have the same issue with OpenELEC 6.0.3 on a Jetway Celeron HTPC, playing from a Synology 216j NAS using NFS. Video - no problem. Mp3 - pauses badly every few seconds - sometimes just hangs for 20 seconds or more.

Pretty sure it's nothing to do with the HTPC as HD video rips are fine. Pretty sure it's not the Wifi / NAS as I'm also running Kodi on a Windows PC and that's playing everything fine.

New to OpenELEC / Kodi so I'm just feeling my around at the moment. I'll be giving this a try soon (reply from Fosphatic):
http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/75583-...aying-mp3s

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio stuttering when playing mp3s [OpenElec]0