• 1(current)
Associate online and locally stored Movie Trailers to Video Library Database Items?
Lightbulb 
Just another thought. This is different from what functions QuickTime browser now performs.

I think in the movie information window there should be a button which will playback the trailer for the movie (and a ButtonAction). The trailer though would need to be provided for each movie by the user.

So for example, right now we can assign custom thumbs by simply placing it in the same directory with the same filename and the .tbn extension. What if we did the same thing for trailers but used a .trl extension for example

i.e.
Movie_Name.nfo
Movie_Name.avi
Movie_Name.tbn
Movie_Name.trl (THIS IS THE TRAILER)

This way on the movie info window in addition to all the IMDB info, there would be an option to play back the trailer as well (if available).

Most people would wonder why do you need to watch the trailer if you've already seen the movie?? I guess this would be true if you were the only person that used the xbox, but in my household others use it as well; and usually they've never seen or heard of half the movies on the xbox. And a trailer (opposed to just a synopsis) is a better gauge for them to decide if the movie is something they want to see.
Rainbow 
Sounds very nice!
But better it would be to automatically search apple.com/quicktime for quicktime trailers and then stream them from the internet. Cool

Then you wouldn't have to download and copy them locally to your share where all the movies are stored.
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Nice idea but I would prefer a naming convesion that also worked on other platforms, like:

Movie_Name.avi
Movie_Name.nfo
Movie_Name.tbn
Movie_Name.Trailer.avi (THIS IS THE TRAILER)

You could even have multiple trailers like:
Movie_Name.avi
Movie_Name.nfo
Movie_Name.tbn
Movie_Name.Trailer1.avi (THIS IS THE FIRST TRAILER)
Movie_Name.Trailer2.avi (THIS IS THE SECOND TRAILER)
Movie_Name.Trailer3.avi (THIS IS THE THIRD TRAILER)

...and have a enable/diable setting option to hide all files ending with ".Trailer" before the extension, to only get access to that trailer through the movie information window (ie. in the 'IMDB info' view).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Good idea!

If more than one trailer is allowed, a nice side effect would be all the extra-features I sometimes rip out of the DVD's (deleted scenes, making of, etc. etc.). Currently, i just stack everything so they are at the end of the movie but it would nice to be able to access them through the info as a type of trailer.
OK, so.. here is the rub.
1. Could this be tied into movie information (so the button appears at the left if a trailer exists)
2. Can we filter "trailer" out of the list so the main view still only shows what we use as full length?
Well I wouldn't have a problem with the button being there and doing nothing if there was no trailer; it wouldn't have to appear or disappear based on whether it was available. A button action would be my preference so I can play back the trailer right from the library view. But it just seems that the movie info page would be the most suitable place for the button.

Secondly you do bring up a good point about filtering it out. The files view would get crowded out pretty fast with the nfos, thumbnails, and now trailers. An alternative is there could be an alternate trailer directory spec in AdvancedSettings.xml . The way there is one now for subtitles. Just that the file names for the trailer would need to be the same.
what do you need the trailers for? you already have the movies sitting there.

granted, trailers have a tendency to give the impression that crappy movies are good. but why you would like to trick your friends/family into thinking that is beyond me.
spiff Wrote:what do you need the trailers for? you already have the movies sitting there.

granted, trailers have a tendency to give the impression that crappy movies are good. but why you would like to trick your friends/family into thinking that is beyond me.

That's your opinion, but i believe there is a lot of users who would like to have this feature, me too Smile

Bravo90078 should change his topic to a poll !
Sorry for my...english :blush:
I would love to have trailers.. any implemtation of this forth coming?
spiff, lol

maybe, if you have AMT and your database already created. I could add a small script that would gather that info an stream or play from download. The skinners would just have to add a button to run the script.

But I agree with spiff Smile
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Actually i think this would be a really great feature. Of course if they're all your movies and you've seen them all and its YOU browsing them, there wouldn't be much point. But a lot of my friends use the xbox, as well as my parents, and sister, and so on, and there is always somebody looking through my backed up dvd's on the xbox, wondering what various movies are. If there were some simple way to just view the trailer, that would actually be really awesome, I think.
timdog82001 Wrote:Actually i think this would be a really great feature. Of course if they're all your movies and you've seen them all and its YOU browsing them, there wouldn't be much point. But a lot of my friends use the xbox, as well as my parents, and sister, and so on, and there is always somebody looking through my backed up dvd's on the xbox, wondering what various movies are. If there were some simple way to just view the trailer, that would actually be really awesome, I think.

I agree, I have my movies on a NAS server, and 4 xboxes connect to it. So when my wife or son is watching they can see the trailer to see if it is something they want to watch.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
Lightbulb 
Related to this.

What I'd love to see is a TrailerPath field added to the Movies Database and an option to watch that trailer on the white button context menu. The trailers could either be filled in manually by editing the database, via a script, or by checking for a specially named file (as explained in the other thread). If the filename method is used, perhaps the database field wouldn't be necessary? Perhaps the menu option would just be created if it saw the correctly named file?

While I understand the argument that trailers make a movie seem better than it actually is, at least they give a decent summary of what the movie is about. Instead of sitting there reading all of the summaries to my wife and/or guests, I'd love to be able to just play a couple trailers and let them choose the movie they want to see based on those.

If any of the developers would be interested in adding this (or someone with the ability to submit a patch), I think a bunch of people would be greatly appreciative.
I agree. I think this would be a very highly welcomed feature, and perfect for if you have a group of people over for movie night and you're trying to decide what to watch, or for anybody unfamiliar with your movie library, looking for a good movie to watch. Smile I'd be all over this if I knew how to anything other than some xml.
This has been addressed before and the response from the dev segment was "Why look at the trailer when you have the media right in front of you, if you'd like to view a trailer then by all means use the python segment for apple trailers". My personal opinion is since its listed on IMDB as a part of the page it could be parsed but the difficulty is that typically there are 2 pages or so before you get to the actual trailer (click trailer link, then resolution/size, then actual trailer) and I dont know of anybody who will dive that deeply into the parsing with the way IMDB and some of the others are frequently changing the sites these days not to mention skin alterations (frankly I think a link at the bottom of Media Info 2 saying "Trailer" to the left at the bottom would be cool as hell).

For completeness, certainly but for practical purposes... not really applicable. If I had the background I'd certainly give it a try but then again I dont so not applicable either.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Associate online and locally stored Movie Trailers to Video Library Database Items?1