Please help me diagnose why XBMC/Kodi keeps breaking my heart
A little late to this thread, but if you are using WiFi to pull the media to the box, stop. You should need to go wired. A 100 Mbit connection is more than enough bit a Gigabit connection is always nice. Wifi drops packets, and is terribly slow when it comes to transferring large media files. The Pi does not like WiFi for some reason.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
He says he HAS run an ethernet cable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-03-18, 21:13)nickr Wrote: He says he HAS run an ethernet cable.

My bad. I didn't read through most of the thread.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
frydiggity - I noticed a few posts back someone mentioned Big Buck Bunny... did you test that? That should be the same type of test that I recommended to nickr, since it's a file that is properly encoded.

A theory on why your your Mac products play flawlessly while the others do not. At first you were using wireless on the Revo, and wireless on the 2.4 GHz band rarely works for video transfer. You then switched to a wired connection, and the Revo I believe only has a 10/100 adapter. You then get the RPI2, which still has a 10/100 adapter that utilizes the USB bus.

Could it be that your Mac's have a 10/100/1000 adapter, and are recovering from network failures faster than the other devices?

I am running a RPi2 pulling bluray rips from an Unraid Server with no issues, so I know that the 10/100 adapter on the Pi is strong enough.... but I am sure if I had something causing some packet loss my playback would suffer.

Is there any way you could give both the Drobo and RPi2 a static address, and directly connect them (you may need a cross-over cable to get communication). That should eliminate any other device/cable that could cause a network disruption.
I am not a Kodi expert and definitely not an RPi one, but this does seem like a network issue.

Even though you've stated that wiring a Mac on the same cable did not produce any issues, this does not mean that the problem is with the RPi specifically. Well, this might be irrelevant, but just might be related to your own issue. Read on if interested.

There's a thing called IEEE 802.3x flow control. Essentially, this is useful for switches, limiting speed depending on a number of reasons, by sending a number of special ethernet pause frames to limit transfer. This is a rather strange beast to tame, you can read my own story here (posting as user cosmos).

The bottomline is that I had a media player with a 10/100Mbps adapter, a Netgear NTV550, plugged via a gigabit switch to my home LAN, getting movies etc from a Netgear NAS.

Problem is that the media player had a test to check speed from the NAS. I expected speeds somewhat less than the theoretical limit of 100mbps. Got only ~12!

To make a long story short this seemed to be a specific interop problem of the NAS, the gigabit switch and (possibly) the box as well. To solve, I had to enable IEEE 802.3x flow control on the NAS. Did that, but nothing changed. Thinking that flow control is something negotiated between lan client and switch, I resetted the switch. That did the trick. A new benchmark on the media player showed that performance increased 7x to ~80Mbps.

I am stating this entire story, because other clients on the lan worked just fine. Your story sounds similar. Do the following, if can:
0) Provide the exact switch model you have. I presume it is a gigabit one.
1) I believe Drobo is Linux based? If so, check if IEEE 802.3x flow control is enabled/disabled or set to auto. On other linux boxes the command to use is ethtool (see http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/ethtool8.html ). Specifically do:
Code:
ethtool -a ethX

Where ethX is your network interface on the drobo. Try either eth0 or eth1 for example. Not a drobo user so can't really tell. Paste the result

2) Now, I can only presume that the flow control will be disabled. If it's enabled then I'm at a loss at what might be the issue. If flow control is disabled though, then:
2.1) Issue the following command to enable it:
Code:
ethtool -A ethX autoneg on rx on tx on

2.2) Immediately after issuing the command reset the switch between the RPi and the drobo
2.3) Do your tests and report back if you see any difference during network play

Other things worth investigating:
- Can you try to enable flow control as above but for the RPi2, before resetting the switch?
- Do experience problems with all H.264 material? The mediainfo of the file provided referred to LAVf encoding. Had some serious issues decoding LAVf encoded material. Could it be that you are having problems only with them?
Quote:Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=2000 / vbv_bufsize=1000 / crf_max=25.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

vbv-bufsize way too small.
There is a very handy chart here in this Tutorial that list various VBV Max values at different H264 Decoder Profiles:

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19368

The OP is encoding at a Format profile : [email protected] and using vbv_maxrate=2000 / vbv_bufsize=1000 which is below the Max rates the RPi's Hardware decoder expects for that selected profile. These should actually be vbv_maxrate=12500 / vbv_bufsize=12500 for [email protected].

Smile

Just wondering, has the OP's problem been resolved? And if so, how?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please help me diagnose why XBMC/Kodi keeps breaking my heart0