HD audio support only with OpenELEC test builds and PCM?
HD audio has been an ill-understood and poorly supported topic in the media player/center world (not only XBMC/Kodi, but everwhere), so it's great to see such well-informed and helpful feedback from devs.

Although bitstreaming is not going to happen due to RPi's limitations, looks like there is a working PCM streaming solution around the corner, which is transparent, if not identical to bitstreaming.

As for that damn DTS HD-MA lamp on our AVRs, I guess we'll just have to get used to watching movies, instead of that light Tongue

Thank you, everyone!
Thank you for enlightening me. I really appreciate it.

Since both of my Pi's are in "production" i'll be patiently waiting for the stable release with DTS-HD decoding included. Keep up the awesome work!
Ability to get PCM from DTS-MA and TrueHD is great, but we will lose ATMOS and whatever the DTS equivalent coming out is. For these, we'll just get 8-channel PCM w/o the height speakers I think.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-05-06, 21:12)hdmkv Wrote: Ability to get PCM from DTS-MA and TrueHD is great, but we will lose ATMOS and whatever the DTS equivalent coming out is. For these, we'll just get 8-channel PCM w/o the height speakers I think.

OT: FYI, DTS:X is out....ish
(2015-05-06, 21:12)hdmkv Wrote: Ability to get PCM from DTS-MA and TrueHD is great, but we will lose ATMOS and whatever the DTS equivalent coming out is. For these, we'll just get 8-channel PCM w/o the height speakers I think.

I really don't think most people will care about the the "loss" of ATMOS/DTS:X, to be honest. If you've got an amp and the speakers to do justice to these object-based sound formats, you shouldn't be using a $35 playback device in the first place.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-05-06, 23:17)Milhouse Wrote:

I really don't think most people will care about the the "loss" of ATMOS/DTS:X, to be honest. If you've got an amp and the speakers to do justice to these object-based sound formats, you shouldn't be using a $35 playback device in the first place.

Precisely. And a Chromebox isn't 'that' much more - and supports HD Audio bitstreamed (which means the Atmos stuff works I believe). (Though the Chromebox doesn't do 3D MVC - the little $35 Pi 2 really is in a class of its own in that regard!)
Installed OpenELEC nightly on my RPi2 which was easy, and have been testing it. UI is very fast and reliable, and scheduled library updates and backups were easy to set up and work. It handles all audio and video formats I've tested with without a glitch, including Bluray remuxes with DTS HD-MA audio.

Thank you - finally gave some (long overdue) money to the Kodi project, and additional to the OpenELEC team. Thank you!
Hello guys!

I am really loving this project. I got myself Rpi2 instead of VidonBox which promissed a lot but dellivered....
I have a 5.1 sound system with AVR capable of decoding HD audio streams. I know that Atmos won't be passed through, but could somebody post a screenshot of best Audi settings from Kodi?

Thank you

Z
Hello everybody !

Sorry but english is not my first language, so I would like to be sure I have understood.

rPi 2 can't play DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD due to hardware limitation.
But, the latest build of OpenElecwill allow to play those formats converting them in PCM ?
Will there be some audible differences (I have a 5.1 home cinema) ?

Does the rPi 2 can be used with a theme like Aeon Nox without lag ?

Many thanks for your answers.
(2015-05-27, 08:55)Capslock Wrote: rPi 2 can't play DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD due to hardware limitation.
But, the latest build of OpenElecwill allow to play those formats converting them in PCM ?
Will there be some audible differences (I have a 5.1 home cinema) ?

Does the rPi 2 can be used with a theme like Aeon Nox without lag ?

Correct, OpenELEC nightlies will convert DTSH HD MA (and Dolby TrueHD but haven't tested) to PCM, and you'll get 5.1 sound if your AVR supports PCM surround - I'm sure most if not all modern AVRs do.

Haven't tested my RPi with Aeon Nox, using it with Confluence which is very snappy. Sometimes it hangs for a good minute or two, haven't found a way to replicate as it's intermittent.
Hi all,
just about to buy one of the pi2 boxes.
Are the nightly builds with dts hd /true hd support now in the stable release 5.0.8 or build 5.95.3
thanks,
Ciaran
5.0.8: No
5.95.3: Yes
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi all. Trying to learn about the Pi2 and it gets a little confusing reading about the support for HD audio. From the last 2 posts it appears that the most recent nightly(?) does bitstream both TrueHD and dts-HD to the AVR, the same as an HTPC currently does?

Apologies for being a complete noob but I understand very little in this regard but I am trying to learn.

Thanks!
The Pi will decode HD audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD) to PCM and output that to your AVR, downmixing to the number of channels you configure in Kodi - if you configure 7.1 in Kodi, any downmixing will happen in your AVR.
(2015-07-31, 23:30)Dave the Minion Wrote: Hi all. Trying to learn about the Pi2 and it gets a little confusing reading about the support for HD audio. From the last 2 posts it appears that the most recent nightly(?) does bitstream both TrueHD and dts-HD to the AVR, the same as an HTPC currently does?

Not quite.

The Pi 2 doesn't bitstream HD Audio to an AVR (bitstreaming is where the compressed audio is carried in compressed form over the HDMI interface). Its hardware isn't compatible with the HDMI requirements for bitstreaming HD Audio. HOWEVER - there are now open source, lossless, decoders for both Dolby True HD and DTS HD audio, and the Pi 2 has the CPU power to decode these formats.

The latest OpenElec builds elsewhere in this section of the forum implement lossless DTS HD and Dolby True HD decoding to multichannel PCM of 48kHz and 96kHz multichannel audio (and there is almost no 192kHz HD Audio out there, and not that much 96kHz stuff either) The Pi 2 then outputs this lossless decoded multichannel PCM audio over HDMI to your amp.

The Pi 2 is effectively processing the compressed audio in the same way that your Amp would otherwise do - but the lamp doesn't come on on the front of the amp signalling DTS HD or Dolby True HD.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD audio support only with OpenELEC test builds and PCM?2