Win KODI & the 'free' windows 10 upgrade
Just an fyi for windows users considering the upgrade to 10-

m$ has announced that their Media Center software will not be included and cannot run on win10.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/rip-windows-media-center/

This also means a lot of potential users may be arriving here soon...

Help me, Obi Wanna Kodi, you are our only hope! Nod
Media Center development was pretty much abandoned in 2009 so it's no surprise. If Microsoft is smart (and despite the last decade, after using Windows 10 previews and seeing other new tech from them I'm starting to think maybe they are again) they may try to monetize the free Windows 10 by introducing a new Media Center and other add-ons for the usual 'small fee'.

I thought Media Center was always fine from an ease-of-use standpoint, but I found it too limiting which led me to XBMC back in the day. Hopefully this will give Kodi an opportunity for wider adoption though I don't think it's comprehensible for casual users at this point in its development. I've helped set up Kodi for many friends who are amazed by what it can do--- but who would be utterly baffled at the thought of setting up their media in a metadata-scraper friendly way without assistance.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
I think if an OS has it, then people will most likely use it. Which is probably why people used Windows Media Center. If the OS doesn't have the feature, then I think most people will not put effort into finding something similar. But this may be just for noobs using the new OS. They won't know any different. But I think Media Center was so under utilized by the general public anyway.
So looks like I will be sticking with Win 8. No big deal, all it really does is run WMC as a Live TV backend and Kodi as the library/player.

scott s.
There are of course other free upgrades - eg mythtbuntu plus kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI & the 'free' windows 10 upgrade0