Video judder on Fire TV
I think you made some great points, my only negative regarding the RPi2 would be that most people will not feel comfortable going so DIY a route, but they probably would never read these posts either... ;-)

I wish there was a place where one could find a sorted/maintained list of working hardware -complete with caveats, but I guess about the only thing do-able would be a Wiki type thing and require pruning and attention as issues are resolved and that is a lot of work, even divided up on an individual basis with various folks contributing on particular hardware and variants it would be guaranteed to get "messy" as various people experience "issues" ranging from actual problems to misunderstanding to "Nut Behind the Wheel" issues. I think the best course is to search the web, read any review you can find and then hit the KODI forum and any manufacturer's forums to search for any issues with that hardware. I've referred to the Wild Wild West before, it strikes me that the issue more accurately is the Wild Wild East when it comes to android variants/suppliers/etc.
(2015-05-22, 07:04)technisol Wrote: I can tell you that I spent several months just researching the various platforms further -after having set up a KODI installation on my android tablet and a Samsung 900X1A before I even considered a standalone android box, and then I got lucky. This involved narrowing choices down from NUCs to Chromeboxes to RaspPI to Android -mostly in order of descending price. I can't tell you exactly how I arrived at my conclusions, but I ran across posts and discussions that led me to believe the AMLogic based units were the way to go as far as KODI development went in terms of future H.265 decoding and happily found an S802 based unit that worked. When I say researched, I literally read every post I could find online as I continued to refine my searches.

This was in part happenstance as I ordered what was supposed to be an S812 based unit from a seller just starting out who was a bit clueless. At $66 USD shipped I was happy enough not to grouse about it. It came with Gotham working quite well and I was eventually lucky enough to get Isengard to install, though I never could get Helix to run on it past the installation -probably a permissions issue. Granted, I'm running @ 60Hz for my US HDTV.

I think it's still a craps shoot to some extent to expect perfection from anything less than a chromebox/NUC/PC or a proven OPENELEC/LINUX build on compatible hardware without sussing it out for yourself and that expecting a lowish end solution like an Amazon Fire to be perfect may not be realistic as it wasn't even designed for the app you're trying to run on it but a specific hardware/software combination in a closed system. It's a wonder they left the back door open -even a crack.

All that said, researching a lot of the android models is still more than a bit complex and information is spotty to say the least because of the nature of the time things are posted to the net vs. solutions and fixes that come later and don't always come later in the same forums, let alone the same threads. Most of what you'll gather from the net is negative information because the squeaky wheel gets greased. The actual greasing does not generate so much in the way of noise so one is left to ponder if issues have been fixed -hardly anyone posts to exclaim how the latest build has solved their issues compared to the number posting issues, not just here, but anywhere on the net.

Agreed.
This "judder" is driving me nuts on my FireTV Sticks and it's not (just) 24p content. Even regular 1080p 30fps video has it (so it's not just the output rate). A nice smooth pan will suddenly skip a frame or two and it's noticeable. Sometimes, it gets even worse (Netflix). I do NOT see this happening on my modified 1st Gen Apple TV running OpenElec with the CrystalHD card (or even running Eden Frontrow using the same). I set up one 1st Gen ATV to see how it went and now I'm thinking of adding a CrystalHD card to my 2nd 1st Gen ATV (this will mean adding another AC outlet Ethernet adapter since I lose the WiFi card, but I could use Ethernet in the family room anyway for the future and not tying up WiFi). AFTV also doesn't handle 44kHz audio (or 96kHz frequency as far as I can tell) while a modified 1st Gen ATV running OpenElec outputs all those correctly (and I'm assuming DTS-HD MA as well; I can't test that currently, though). I can't really try a 50Hz output option since my TV doesn't support it (my downstairs projector might, however; I'll have to look).

So the real question for me is whether spending nearly $100 in upgrades is worth it to run on an ancient ATV Gen1 (that does have some quirks at the start of videos still) so I have "perfect" output for my own videos (no access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.; so I'd still need the AFTV Sticks) or to get another device that can do more/better.

Namely, I've been looking at the 4K FireTV box and wondering if some of the issues were due to the rather under powered "stick" version. But I have this feeling that the frame-drops (or "judder") is due to something in FireTV's OS itself (i.e. even 30fps videos have this issue here). Amazon's own Prime videos do NOT have any such judder what-so-ever. They are smooth as can be. Any content from Netflix or Kodi, however is subject to it and I think it's far worse on Netflix (I'm talking TV here, not 24p movies). If just getting a faster 4K FireTV box would solve my problem, I'd get one since it's a device that pretty much does EVERYTHING (save newer Airplay and Apple based rentals). But if I have to put up with that "judder" I'm not going to bother. I'd rather have a second device that can run my own content and even Netflix smoothly. Plus there's the question of DTS-HD MA type compatibility in the future (AFTV doesn't do it period AFAIK). I'd consider the newer ATV4, but it still doesn't have an Amazon Video App yet either. Maybe there are no perfect solutions other htan perhaps a HTPC.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
I wish I had done my research before I bought this box and my second one....I bought the fire tv for my bedroom to replace my old laptop I was using as a kodi box. After that success I decided it was time to do away with my htpc that had been my hobby since 1999 since I found the firetv/kodi combo to be reliable and much simpler to deal with.....so I have it all set up and just realized that my 24fps mkv files are not auto switching to 24 fps on my tv!!!!!...What really?..why not? This one thing is ruining my transition...If I had know I would have purchased a Minix Neo X8-H Plus and skipped this mess....please tell me I didn't waist my money...
Hate to break it to you guys but people primarily buy Amazon Gear to stream Amazon Prime in 1080p or 4K, as that is what they do well with the exclusive - proper Amazon App that no other platforms get. They are paid DRM video streamers first that can run Kodi as a byproduct, and then not very well for some.

The old AFTV1 does lousy Live Broadcast TV as it cannot Hardware decode mpeg2 HD video content and Software deinterlace at the same time. H264 Interlaced stuff may fare better, if transcoded before hand by a HD Homerun.
The FireTV2 may be marginally better at mpeg2 due to more CPU grunt available for Software decoding and Software deinterlacing. The FireTV Stick will be woefully underpowered even attempting this.

There is no 23.976fps video output on Amazon Gear, so 23.976fps video will be output at 60Hz and subject to 3:2 pulldown judder that will annoy those sensitive to this type of video playback.

Stay away from Apple TV's (except OSMC or OE running on Gen1 ATV's), Google Nexus and Amazon Gear if you are sensitive to 3:2 pulldown judder. They simply cannot do 23.976fps nicely synced video output.

Attempting to make a AFTV an all in one Kodi box does not work very well for some due to the limitations already listed (there are more). You really do need two hardware devices.

- For excellent Over the Air TV viewing of interlaced video on a budget you need an AMLogic device, as AML stuff does Hardware deinterlacing. A RPi2 will also fit the bill.
- For 1080p or 4K DRM video streams (excluding Amazon Prime) and proper 23.976fps video output when using Kodi, you need a WeTek Core or a nVIDIA Shield. MINIX gear is not up to spec for 1080p DRM.

I would keep an eye on a WeTek Core Firmware upgrade coming out soon if you are interested in automatic, dynamically switching, properly synced video output, that operates at an Android OS system level. (Including all Apps)

The type of judder I'm talking about has nothing to do with 23.976. It's more like the FireTV has something suck up all the CPU power for a moment as the audio drops out too when it happens (or even just audio when playing music). It really sucks (I have to keep an old ATV Gen1 around just for music since Kodi will invariably "stutter" a few times an hour and the sound will drop out for a moment).

I'm planning to try out Kodi 14.x versions when I get some time to play around with it since a few threads I read suggest the problem started with Isengard. I'll try the final Jarvis release when it comes out as well to see if anything changed, but given the utter lack of response and commentary about such issues in various threads, I'd say it's unlikely (other than by sheer coincidence) that anything will change and will likely get worse, not better as most programs tend to get less efficient over time, not more so. I can't be sure if the problem is with Amazon or Kodi or some weird combination thereof (my Gen1 ATV with Broadcom doesn't seem to hardly ever hiccup once it gets going smoothly, but it uses a different chip and hardware acceleration than Android devices and who knows what Amazon's own interface does in the background to boot).
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
The newest Fire TV OS supposedly has a hidden menu for 24p. Wouldn't this work for Kodi?
(2016-02-29, 20:05)PROF FAART Wrote: The newest Fire TV OS supposedly has a hidden menu for 24p. Wouldn't this work for Kodi?

Yes I can change it to 24fps but then everything will run at 24 fps that includes Kodi itself and any other video files I have that may not be 24fps... I need auto switching
Please be aware...
24p = 24fps PLUS 23.976fps video output.

Anyone that markets a device as 24p compatible without supporting 23.976fps video output is not telling the whole truth and is actually misleading customers.

The devices I mentioned in my previous post (inc. AFTV2) can only do 24fps / 24Hz , so 23.976fps video played back at 24Hz will show a video glitch approximately every 41 seconds.

I was under the impression that all 24 fps was just referring to 23.976 because it is easier to write out....if straight 24 is not a film standerd then why does it exist
I installed Kodi 14.2 Helix on one of my FireTV Sticks and so far no judder or interrupts like I've been getting with Isengard (only got worse with the past FireTV firmware update where it pretty much stuttered a few times per hour on any given show, even 720p ones). It was a PITA to set everything and scan everything in again, but I haven't had a stutter yet in a song or tv show or movie (once in a music video but it could have been a glitch). With an OSX Server, I had to set everything to use NFS again instead of SMB since it's apparently not fully working with newer OS X in Helix with SMB, but otherwise it's been a huge improvement.

I've been thinking of trying Jarvis 16.0, but given how the betas behaved for me, I'm guessing it will be worse than Isengard (the betas were all slower in almost every respect from time to start a movie to interrupts). I'm thinking the FireTV Stick simply doesn't have enough free CPU power for newer versions reliably, but I'll try Jarvis at some point.
So much for Helix.... it stutters too.

Since some time around the recent updates to the FireTV Stick, I can no longer watch any videos or listen to any music without sooner or later getting a stutter (usually 3 quick stutters in succession) with any version of Kodi including Helix. It's been getting worse with every update, I think. Of course, there's always the chance it's the updates to my OS X based server causing the trouble (I'd have to try using a Windows or LInux based server to see if that's the case, but the fact I've gotten a stutter from Isengard on an Apple TV Gen1 with Broadcom and OpenElec recently also suggests it might be the server since it's Ethernet connected and has a different GPU and OS and I haven't read any reports of stuttering with it once video starts on their forums.
(2016-04-08, 17:03)VonMagnum Wrote: So much for Helix.... it stutters too.

Since some time around the recent updates to the FireTV Stick, I can no longer watch any videos or listen to any music without sooner or later getting a stutter (usually 3 quick stutters in succession) with any version of Kodi including Helix. It's been getting worse with every update, I think. Of course, there's always the chance it's the updates to my OS X based server causing the trouble (I'd have to try using a Windows or LInux based server to see if that's the case, but the fact I've gotten a stutter from Isengard on an Apple TV Gen1 with Broadcom and OpenElec recently also suggests it might be the server since it's Ethernet connected and has a different GPU and OS and I haven't read any reports of stuttering with it once video starts on their forums.
Honestly, I strongly suggest you perform a full system reset of Amazon. Then install Kodi v16. Having less problems then ever before and I believe it's due to the rest and v16.

Idok Fire
I'm having the same issue. Micro stuttering and only on my FTV2 for some reason. I have a FTV1 and a Fire stick and neither do this. I don't think it's the TV either because I have an htpc connected to it and have no issues. Crossing my fingers that upgrading to Jarvis 16.1 fixes the issue since it was just released.
I would like to comment on judder if it is smb server related. Had a Fire TV 1st gen and my Server was a Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 (Basically WHS 2011), but video was rebuffering and stuttering if the speed was just enough not to start buffering. On an Openelec Client (Intel Celeron 487) the videos played super smooth even when set manually the port to 100MBit. The Fire TV obviously 100MBit too, was stuttering

I tested for one week a Synology Diskstation nd buffering and stutterin disappeared completely. So wanted to se if its Hardware or Software issue. Installed VMWARE Workstation on the Windows Server and installed Xpenology in it while passing trhough the Harddisks directly to have full HDD performance. Whn playing back from that WM it all was super smooth.

So it could easily be the combination of a Windows File Server and Android, in my case it was. Hope that helps someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video judder on Fire TV2