Increase TCP send window option?, for high latency connections
Is there any way to increase the TCP send window used by XBMSP Streaming or SMB/Samba so that streaming over lines with higher than 20ms works @ higher than 1mbit?
I have the high bandwidth lines (t3s in both directions) its just the 30-40ms latency is killing any streaming except via FTP.

thanks
smb is really not built for that kind of streaming. it has a maximum packet size of 128k (of what we only can use 64 due to a bug), thou this is really only supported on some servers. other's will have much much smaller buffer. xbmsp has a max of 120k. this maximum isn't guaranteed to be used thou. however if you have caching in mplayer enabled (default) then it should maximizing this.

only way to check what is used is through a ethereal capture or tcpdump to check what you really are getting.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the quick reply, i use snmp on switches and packet dumps to watch the BW usage.. with smb and XBMSP you can only get 1mbit max....

what about resolving DNS's for FTP bookmarks? since that seems to be the best way to stream videos over > 50ms latency + bandwidth.

and what BW do you think we should get max with 120k packets?and im guessing there is no way to change this or maybe make a switch or setting?

thanks
jo2jo,
ftp name resolution works fine. check your dns settings.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
64k-2 actually, and what that gives will depend on latency. i'm not sure how to calculate it thou.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Increase TCP send window option?, for high latency connections0