Video Playback (Over LAN) Problem
Folks,

Thought I would post in case anyone else is having the same problem:

Problem

When playing video files over a wirless (Lynksys 11b Game Adaptor using WEP) SMB share (predominantly avi) the movie plays for around 10 minutes then stops and returns to the XBMC movie menu screen.

Tested
  • Same avi files in XBMC 1.1.0 - No problem
  • Tweaking the cache settings
  • Cleaning the video library (from XBMC menu)
  • Switching off wireless and running a cable

Of all the things I have tried it would appear that running a cable is the only thing to fix the problem, pointing towards the wireless network as the issue, ruling out the media files themselves (as these have been suggested as the issue on many occasions elsewhere).

I am slightly confused because these files work fine over the wireless network in XBMC 1.1.0, but because I know little about the software changes I will have to assume that some change has been made to XBMC 2.0 regarding how it plays networked content that is causing the problem.

Anyone who is having the same issue, try running a cable and see how you go.

Anyone who knows what might be going on, feel free to post back. For no I am planning a Gigabit RJ45 install throughout my house! Big Grin
I am having the same problem with the 'Atlantis' release of XBMC, however I am using a cable already. I am using a SMB share that I configured via XBMC. After 10-20 minutes, the stream drops and returns me to the home screen. This seems to only be a problem with content over the network. I can play a DVD just fine.

I tried mapping a drive, but when I navigate to the mapped drive, it just puts me somewhere else on my C: drive... seems odd.

I am going to try the latest SVN build tonight but if anyone has any ideas/suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
What are you guys using for the source of your wireless? Is your media on a NAS box?

Not sure the change in XMBC that would cause the issue but there may be some tweaks on the server side of your sources that may act as a work around for now.
I have this problem too, its clearly a XBMC problem because XBMC 1.1.0 works perfectly fine on my systems too.

XBMC seems to have a problem with the fluctuating speed of the wireless connection.

I have used to following settings to reduce the problem as much as possible(Instead of stopping the video pauses and resumes stutteringly after a few seconds and becomes stable again a few seconds later.

Although this is still annoying its not as bad as the video stopping and having to fast-forward to the last play position.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<samba>
   <clienttimeout>240</clienttimeout>  <!-- timeout (in seconds) -->
   <statfiles>false</statfiles>  <!-- Set to false to disable smb stat() on files to speed up listings of large directories (over slow links) -->
</samba>
<network>
  <curlclienttimeout>240</curlclienttimeout>  <!-- Timeout in seconds for libcurl (http/ftp) connections -->
  <curllowspeedtime>5</curllowspeedtime>  <!-- Time in seconds for libcurl to consider a connection lowspeed -->
</network>
</advancedsettings>
You do realise the first post is from 2006?

What letter did you map your drive to?
there are certain letters that are used as virtual drives by xbmc xbox so you cant used them for mapping.

Please try a recent build. Google "xbmc nightly builds".

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
Problem is still there with latest nightly (18652)

Also this problem only effects the xbox version, linux/windows seem unaffected
A debug log would be helpful in this situation, it should tell everyone why the video spontaneously stops playing.

See this for further info: Sticky: Read this before posting problems/bugs!!
In this case the debug log tells us very little.

If you use a computername instead of an ip adres you'll get the "invalid computername" error, with the ip adres you get no error at all.

I found out there is a ticket for this:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5258

Now adding debug logs and info to that might be interesting
Someone has to look into this. SMB has gotten totally unstable and i also observe problems with http streaming from the internet since atlantis-rls.
Before upgrading, i was able to seek/skip in http-streamings.that doesnt work anymore.when i skip 30s forward in an flv/http stream dvdplayer tries to fill his buffer forever and then exits.
By the way: I get "invalid computername" quite often while streaming from smb share, even though the source is defined by ip and not smb-name.
I still can't reproduce these issues. If someone can figure out with what (t3ch) version the problem(s) was introduced, we may be able to isolate the cause...
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
I started seeing it about three bleeding edge releases back from T3CH....but I see it now.
I really need this more exact than "about three bleeding edge releases back". Ie. the exact version it broke....
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
I do not recall it being an issue on rev16491 (December 07, 2008). I skipped the next release so I don't know if it occurred then.

It was not an issue on the 2008-11-13 8.10 release.

I will confirm and download the rev16491 release and install it on my XBox to test.
I built the most recent SVN version (dated April 3, 2009). Deleted my UserData folder, installed the new build fresh and loaded XBMC. The drop when reading from SMB shares is now gone. So, not sure if this was a true issue / was related to my configuration, but all is well.
Issue still exists, just takes longer now.

I see reports of issues with SMB shares now and them randomly disconnecting. I assume this is related.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playback (Over LAN) Problem0