recommendation for box to run Kodi
Hi All
I have been using XBMC & now Kodi for a while but the box I run it on is not the best, it's just a generic android box with RK3188 & quad core. I don't find it very stable & often crashes. I have read that Linux epenelec is the best operating system to use & I'm guessing my box cannot run this, hence need a new box.
My TV does not have wifi, so the box needs to turn my TV into smart TV (it is LCD with HDMI)

I have read the thread regarding recommendations & undoubtedly there are many recommendations for chromebox with openelec, but this seems quite expensive (I got the impression you needed to buy various parts separately & self-build (or maybe I'm wrong) What is involved here (i would be buying from UK)
Then I looked at rasberry pi2 b (again this just looks like it is the motherboard, so wasn't sure what else was needed as the mobo was only £29)
& finally I looked at the weTek Play, which seemed to me more what I was looking for, i.e. something that was a whole unit ready to use complete with remote & from what I read was dualboot so there is a choice of android or openelec

My question is can someone give me the pro's & cons of these 3 options...what is needed for full set up, etc....bearing in mind the following:
I am looking for a box which will turn my tv into a smart tv, to mainly run kodi on, which has a stable OS & is easy to set up & use. I am not one of those people who command graphics of second to non quality, just decent quality will do
oh....one other thing, it was suggested to me to buy a mag254 but to me these boxes are if you intend to subscribe to a tv package, which I do not wish to....i know they are reported to be good boxes but I am sure it does not fit my purpose Huh? correct me if i'm wrong
thanks in advance
It seems your needs will be met and exceed with the Raspberry Pi 2. Its rock solid stable.
you'll need the Pi2, sdcard, and a phone charger

you can attach a cable into the pi so you won't need wifi dongle and also if your tv supports it you can use your normal remote to control the pi (CEC)

you would endless support here from enthusiasts and Dev experts so the Pi2 is definetly what you want!

edit: also you'll need another computer to install openelc on an sdcard
pi2 or fire stick.
I forgot about the fire stick, its on sale for £25
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fi...B00KAKUN3E

remote included
This thread is relevant here comparing fire tv vs pi2 (for kodi only) purposes
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218285
If you need to use Wifi, then I'd go with a or Fire TV Stick (or non-stick) rather than a Pi2. Wifi performance on the stick is quite good....and you get a remote with it. And with the FTV you get Netflix and other 'smart TV' apps.
when you say attach a cable to the pi, I presume you mean HDMI ??
I dont think my tv remote will support the pi, but I have a mele (keyboard one side & remote the other...runs on wifi)...also can it be run via wireless mouse?
with reference to 'another computer to install open elec?'
I am familiar with installing fresh operating system on pc by creating live usb iso image, so would I do it exactly the same way but install it onto sdcard as opposed to HDD
does the pi come with a pre-installed OS or is it just left blank for user to install their own?
so i would order this (is 1gb RAM sufficient, is ther a 2gb version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-Pi-Mod...erry+pi2+b

Is the following extras all that is needed:
enclosure case
power supply
HDMI cable (is it full or micro)
micro SD card (what is pre-loaded with NOOBS, as the one in the kits have this, also what size card is recommended)

You said I don't need a wifi dongle...why is this, my tv does not have wifi

would you purchase individually or just go for the starter kit, which included PI, charger, case micro sd & adapter, wifi adapter (11n nano ) & hdmi lead for around £50

thanks
(2015-05-26, 14:52)mel08 Wrote: when you say attach a cable to the pi, I presume you mean HDMI ??

He meant an ethernet cable from your router, which is better than using wifi. If you need wifi, then you have to add a wifi adaptor/dongle.

The PI comes with no OS installed, you must install your choice of OS on an SD card that you supply. If you use OpeELEC, a 4 GB card is enough, 8 better. Most important to get high speed quality card.
I'm a bit confused as I thought the fire stick was more for subscribing to amazon prime content & only available to view in the UK - sorry I should have said, that although I'm from the UK I'm currently living in Cyprus - I am only wanting free content & mainly just to use Kodi, so is the fire stick unsuitable...certainly the pi2b seems a strong possibility, just now sure how to set up
How do I install openelec on the SD Card - do I make a live bootable usb & then install to SD card??
Follow the wiki on Openelec for installation.Very good instructions.

FYI, you can install KODI on the FireTV or FireTV stick and watch your own content, just like any other KODI installation. You don't need Amazon prime, although you do need a basic Amazon account (no cost) to register the device. On the downside, installation of KODI, while fairly easy, is not as straightforward , but the wiki gives pretty clear directions. If there is some restriction on registering the FTV locally, that would be a problem, which I am sure you could find on AMAZON product information pages.
you can side load kodi on fire, with the pi2- you can load the image onto a sd card and load it into your pi, then you should be ready to go.
what OS does the FireTV stick use, I currently have a generic android box & also a smart tv stick & both use android which I think is unstable & it constantly crashes, hence I wanted to use a Linux OS as I'm hoping it will be more stable.
To load openelec image on SD card for pi, is this done in the same way I have installed all other linux distros, i.e. creating bootable usb from iso file & installing to sd card as opposed to HDD
The device runs "Mojito," version 3.0 of the Android-based Fire OS which is compatible with Android Jelly Bean version number 4.2.2
in that case i think i prefer the pi2 b with open elec
I do need a strong wifi card as my router is upstairs & the tv i wish to install kodi on is downstairs
Any suggestions for the usb wifi adapter, I do have an alfa AWUSO36H but not sure if this works out the box in linux
People seem pretty happy with this MIMO WiFi usb on Amazon:

- Netis WF2123 Wireless N300 Nano USB Adapter

also this SD Card has proven time and time again to give the best R/W speeds for the price paid:

- Samsung 16/32/64GB PLUS Micro SDHC with Adapter - up to 48MB/s - UHS-1 Class 10

and the most important part of all if you plan on plugging in lots of Power sucking usb devices:

- a proper 2.0Amp/5Volt power supply with a quality thick power cord attached to supply enough power. Thin cheap cords will not do.

This will get you started:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Raspberry_Pi

Enjoy. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
recommendation for box to run Kodi0