Recommend a box for Live TV with control - and root?-
Hi,

I am looking for a hardware, want few of them, to preconfigure with kodi and settings and give to few friends.
I am mainly looking for Live TV option...they wont probably even go into movies, video, music section, etc....
The most important thing, beside low price, it should be stable and good at recovering from crashes.

A working and good remote is a must!

I looked into Fire TV first, but it is few steps to get to kodi and confusing....If there were rootable.....
Rpi2 also seemed good, but still I have to figure out a case, a remote and .....
M8?i-one?...?odroid c1?
Also odroid seems good,, now that HDMI is fixed, but it has really ugly case!
I'd say the Pi 2 is probably the simplest to setup and maintain from your options. Depending on the TV, CEC may work, so a remote may not be necessary. For live TV, you'll likely need the MPEG2 license, so calculate that into your cost. The very least that you will need with a PI 2 is a Micro SD card to run the OS, then a power, HDMI, and Ethernet cable.

The Fire TVs are good, but unless things have changed since I owned one, you will need to side load each new version of Kodi.
Warning !
Stay away from the Amazon Fire TV's for anything to do with Live TV and deinterlacing, you will end up with poor results.

Choices for quality deinterlacing Live TV at a reasonable price are the RPi2 or in the Android space boxes with AMlogic S802/805/812 SoC's. Also definitely worth looking at is the Wetek Play.

Read through the amlogic Wetek play box section or check there forum. It covers a few of your request.
The best piece of advice I can give is when looking in the Android space for Live TV options and Kodi is get a device that has good support or very well sorted out Firmware.

For Newbie purchasers Wetek will provide the best support, especially now they have become a OpenElec sponsor as well.
The Wetek Play is a nice looking device with a great remote control as well which should not be overlooked.

At the $35 entry level and with an AMlogic S805. I'm using an ODROID-C1 from HardKernel for 1080i / mpeg2 - TV, H.265 and HD Netflix.
This device can run both the TVHeadend backend server with a connected Hard Drive and the Kodi TVHeadend client easily, both booting straight into Kodi Isengard running on Ubuntu or using OpenElec.

This S805 uses Advanced Motion Adaptive, edge enhancing de-interlacing in its VPU resulting in fantastic video quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a box for Live TV with control - and root?-0