Audio from multiple sources
I am not sure how to word this properly so i'm having trouble searching my issue. I have a multi monitor setup (3 one being my TV). I only seem to have an issue in KODI where in MPCHC I can have a video playing on one screen, and if I say wanted to play a game with that video playing I can have the sound of both sources come through one device. However when I play something in KODI, It seems to take over the whole sound device and nothing else can use it. Is there any configuration i'm missing that will allow me to play multiple source's audio along with KODI? thanks!
Are you using WASAPI instead of Direct Sound? Because WASAPI by design takes over the sound system to have exclusive control over it. DirectSound just spits it out through the windows sound system along with everything else at once.
I have tried both settings on the audio output and passthrough. It works until I hit play then the other sound output is bumped to another sound device.
I think the WASAPI is the problem

I chose this option for quality then made Kodi windowed to let if finish updating the library

When I tried opening a movie with mpc-hc, no sound
Best quality, but exclusive mode

Nice design, Microsoft
(2015-05-30, 01:08)Danny3 Wrote: Nice design, Microsoft

You see similar behaviors with other systems like ASIO as well. Games, media players, applications, and everything else can be running at different audio qualities, converting them to a uniform output comes with caveats of quality. WASAPI allows the audio hardware to be exclusively controlled by a program, to pipe a bit streamed DTS stream straight from the file to the HDMI or TOSLINK output without being remixed or touched or lock the output to match the source audio's quality settings. It's not 'Microsoft Fucking Up' it's just kinda the nature of doing things like this on any platform.
Just a bit odd to me that MPCHC can do it no problem, I played 2 DTS movies with mpchc and vlc at the same time, youtube and winamp going and they work. Kodi's output completely takes over the sound device even if I don't have wasapi on
(2015-05-30, 07:29)mrasstits Wrote: Just a bit odd to me that MPCHC can do it no problem, I played 2 DTS movies with mpchc and vlc at the same time, youtube and winamp going and they work. Kodi's output completely takes over the sound device even if I don't have wasapi on

Yes but those weren't bitstreaming, were they? Bitstreaming is when the audio data is NOT decoded by the computer but instead shunted directly, unmolested, through the HDMI or TOSLINK audio connection and decoded within your display, sound bar, or audio receiver. It would be impossible to NOT decode that but then also mix in audio from other programs in the computer. Bitstreaming and mixing audio from multiple programs during playback are by their nature mutually exclusive. Bit streaming is an attractive feature to many Kodi.
(2015-05-30, 16:02)DJ_Izumi Wrote: but instead shunted directly, unmolested,

That is an awesome analogy apt description if I ever did hear one, PROPS!
(2015-06-01, 18:04)k4sh1n Wrote: That is an awesome analogy if I ever did hear one, PROPS!

'Molested' has a non-sexual definition, 'to annoy, disturb, or persecute especially with hostile intent or injurious effect'. It wasn't an analogy, it's an apt description. o.o

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio from multiple sources0