Re purposing a thin client?
I happened to pick up a "thin client" the other day (it's currently running win XP embedded) at 1ghz 1gb ram / 1gb flash I thought it might be useful for putting a light distro of linux on and using as an internet browsing/spare machine. Then I thought - I wonder if I could use it as a media centre? Of course I guess any tv recording functions would be well beyond its capabilities.

Has anyone tried anything similar? Either perhaps with a usb stick for o/s or maybe replacing the 1gb flash with a 2.5" drive?
It looks great and uses only 15w!
I doubt it can handle 1080p video decoding, but you can ofc give it a try (try booting OE from USB stick).
Interestingly, it's got 1080 graphics courtesy of a radeon 700 on board chip set, so you never know. I fired it up with Ubuntu off a usb but it was too slow - maybe the stick itself or not enough ram. A light operating system might work, especially if I loaded it onto the 1gb flash - I'll experiment. What would you say would be the best version of Kodi if I fancy a try? Something linux.
If a RPi can handle Kodi, this one should, too. With the Ubuntu family, try Lubuntu. That works very well with old(er) machines.
I'll get Lubuntu then - only thing is my internet is screwed up right now so the download is gonna take ages!
Will report back - but any ideas for a linux type distro with Kodi built in or so?
There's Kodibuntu, of course. Boots directly to Kodi.
(2015-06-05, 18:30)JohnyLondon Wrote: Interestingly, it's got 1080 graphics courtesy of a radeon 700 on board chip set, so you never know. I fired it up with Ubuntu off a usb but it was too slow - maybe the stick itself or not enough ram. A light operating system might work, especially if I loaded it onto the 1gb flash - I'll experiment. What would you say would be the best version of Kodi if I fancy a try? Something linux.

radeon 700 is stone age. It won't run kodi.
(2015-06-05, 18:59)michael.gisiger Wrote: If a RPi can handle Kodi, this one should, too. With the Ubuntu family, try Lubuntu. That works very well with old(er) machines.

Your logic is way off.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'd not use any Ubuntu as it's adding way to much OS overhead - try booting OE from USB and see if it works. OE only consists of like 100 MB that are loaded directly into RAM, so a rather fast bootup and also quick while running. But as said, the GPU veeeery likely wont handle 1080p video decoding of h264, and the CPU most likely not as well. But hey, give it a try and see.

As for the PI: The PI can handle it because it has a hardware decoder for h264; mpeg and VC1, which this thinclient is verly likely missing (didn't check the spec of the Radeon 700).
In that case, go for Puppy Linux. Boots from USB into RAM, but is still enduser friendly.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Linux

You need both supported graphics hardware and supported graphics drivers.
Yeah, it looks like the Radeon 700 isn't supported in the proprietary driver any more and it might not work with the open source driver to push 1080 video at a good frame rate. That said, I'd love to hear how it works if you try it anyway. It's not like it would hurt anything to try. I'd personally recommend trying both openelec and kodibuntu on a usb thumb-drive. Let us know how it turn out if you do.
The ENTIRE Radeon X700 series does not support DXVA or any other form of hardware accelerated video decoding and a 1ghz single core CPU won't be nearly enough to do software decoding of 1080p H264.
I'll report back when I try Kodibuntu etc - doesn't sound promising though, but I have hardly any hi def stuff so might be ok for me. I would have got the 1.5ghz model if I knew I was going to try and use this as a media centre - it's just it looks like such a cool little thing it should be a media centre but as long as it ends up at least being a spare internet machine I'll be ok!
One mod I'm up to is fitting a laptop drive (60gb) in place of the 1gb flash card - just waiting for the ribbon cable to come over on a slow boat from China Smile Memory well I could bang that up to 2gb, we'll see. I can see a MK2 project in the pipeline at this rate though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Re purposing a thin client?0