Android Change data location for Android not working
I had the same trouble with kodi failing to start (or staring but just showing a black screen) after I made (what I though were) the appropriate modifications.

Here's what ultimately worked for me. I put the following line in /sdcard/xbmc_env.properies

Code:
xbmc.data=/storage/2315-7849/Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi

I got the path by running the Android App ES File Explorer. The path part ("/Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi") was created automatically by installing/running kodi; so I didn't have to create any new directories.

This path will almost certainly NOT work for you but, if you can find the correct "Android" path to your external SD card then you can add the "/Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi" part and it should work.

I hope that this is helpful to someone.

I think that this mostly applies to devices that are running Android 5.x and above.

-anon
Hello, I recently setup the latest Kodi stable (15.2) on my nVidia ShieldTV (latest firmware).
However, even though I successfully moved the app in my external SD card, all library content still remained in the internal storage.
Then, I noticed that a new proper path structure was created in the SD card as well (Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files) so I decided to use that location as a destination for moving my library et al.

So, I moved the .kodi folder to the /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files location and created the xbmc_env.properties file in the internal virtual SD storage (sdcard), with the following content:
Code:
xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files
However, unfortunately Kodi fails to properly start with my library: after several seconds of staring at a blank screen it eventually opens as if this was the first time, no settings, no library, no sources etc.
Additionally, I noticed that a new .kodi folder was created from scratch in the *internal* card.

So, trying to figure out what the problem in my case might be, can you please at least confirm that I correctly followed all the required steps, referring to the following screenshots?
Thank you very much in advance!

The .kodi folder containing my library (et al), successfully moved in my external card:

The xbmc_env.properties as found in my internal card (/sdcard):

The content of the xbmc_env.properties file, pointing to the location shown in the 1st screenshot:
(btw, I also tried ending the path with a slash "/", to no avail)
Any feedback on my case above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Anyone?! Sad
(2015-12-31, 11:35)Frea74 Wrote: Anyone?! Sad

remove " /Files " from xbmc_env.properties to make it work.

It should look like this : (for lolipop only)
Quote:xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/obb/org.xbmc.kodi

you can directly cut/paste the folder "org.xbmc.kodi" from internal storage to your external sdcard at this location " Android/obb/ ".
check the exact path with the help of file explorer just as Anonymous has quoted in post #16.
No idea why people are sticking the .kodi folder in Android/obb (seems a bit odd, but maybe they know something I don't) but reading the last few posts inspired me to sort this out on my son's Fire 7 (rooted, running cyanogenmod / Lollipop, not Amazon's nasty os).
So...
I did the same as Frea74 - moved the .kodi folder to Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/ on the external sd card.
A quick check with es file explorer to confirm the address, and I ended up with:
Quote:xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/
Stuck that in the root of the internal storage, cut and pasted the .kodi folder from internal to external, tapped on Kodi and it all worked just as it should.

I'm going to take a wild stab at Freya74's problem, as what's been done there all looks good.

Is it possible you've made xbmc_env.properties.txt rather than xbmc_env.properties?
That icon for the file in total commander looks a little bit texty to me (but I don't use it so it's a guess).

Edit: if that isn't the problem you could try deleting the .kodi folder in internal storage (or just rename it if you're using it), start kodi and post a link to the log generated. I can't see how you'd get a debug log if it won't access the folder you've moved, but it might give something.
Alternatively wait for someone who's got more of a clue about Android - I'm certainly no expert.
i am a total noob and it took me awhile too. I don't know enough about android to know where the root folder was, but i created the xbmc_env.properties file in notepad on windows > saved it as all files with no extension > uploaded it to google drive > downloaded it to my android tv box and put it in /sdcard0 folder

copied only the .kodi folder and moved it to the path that wiki had. First try was screwed up, but then i realized i had only created a kodi_data file on the external sd card, NOT the storage_sdcard folder. duh. Created it > moved the kodi_data file to it, booted up kodi and all my stuff was back. I immediately backed up kodi.

a couple quirks where reboot of kodi showed stock installation, shut it > reopened and my stuff is back.

phew. no way after just setting up with the repos and addons i wanted to do it again. I have a 2nd box coming for my husband so I will set it up on the external SD card first before i load anything Wink
I think I know where the mistake is being made it’s in the code and the locating of the xbmc_env.properties file you are relying on the example too much. Make sure to exited out of kodi create a folder on the drive where you want to move kodi data too, call it kodi data. Then place the xbmc_env.properties file in the root directory of your android device, the file path will be the root folder mnt/sdcard. Then edited the file xbmc.data=/storage/usb0/kodi data your path will be similar save the file. Then copy kodi original data folder to the location you want to save it not into the folder you created. Then open kodi, kodi will create a folder inside the folder that you created copy over your addons,userdata ect to this folder. Hope this helps.
No offense, but what would really help is some punctuation and spell checking/proofreading. I've been known to dabble in codes and semaphores on occasion and reading that last post had me cringing.
[quote='technisol' pid='2221323' dateline='1453356884']
No offense, but what would really help is some punctuation and spell checking/proofreading. I've been known to dabble in codes and semaphores on occasion and reading that last post had me cringing.
[/quote
Thank you!
hey peeps,

I apologize for not being able to do this, i am not experienced with any of this, or kodi, anyone seen or can make a youtube clip of this for more visual people like me?

I am using a note 4, with kodi 16.0
herman99,
I'll paste a copy of a post I put up a few weeks ago, hopefully it will help you. The hardest part is actually figuring out the path to your SD card...

Kodi was slow and crashing and I realized it was cuz my FLASH memory on my Android box was full. I looked at FAQs and help files to find out how to move my data files to my SD card on my Android box. It took some fiddling and lots of trial and error, so I thought I'd post here to help anybody else who is as dense as I am.

Here is a link to the FAQ which I followed but dumbed down a little...
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Change_data...or_Android

and here is my version...

MOVING DATA TO YOUR SD CARD IN KODI 16.0 - JARVIS
Turn off Kodi by using the power button on the kodi home page skin. Now first you need a program that will move files. I found FileCommander works great. I'm not sure but you might need the paid version to do this (it's five bucks and worth it just to get rid of the nag screen). You also need something to edit files. I got QuickEdit which is free and small. Both of these can be found in the Google Play store.

Next, using Quick Edit, make a new text file called xbmc_env.properties
In this file you only need one line telling Kodi where your data is. The faq says to type in...
xbmc.data=/storage/sdcard0/external_sdcard/kodi_data

It didn't work for me. But this did...
xbmc.data=/mnt/external_sd/kodi_data
so you might want to poke around and see what your directory structure looks like. File Commander is good for this too.

Now save it to your root directory on the drive that you will be moving FROM. Mine was called NAND FLASH. Don't put it in a directory called root (root is the top of the file structure), you need to save it in the directory that contains all the folders like the 'android' folder, the '.android-secure' folder, 'DCIM' folder etc. **MAKE SURE** it does not have the .txt extension on the end of the file, it should be called just, xbmc_env.properties

Now open FileCommander and make a NEW folder on your SD card called kodi_data

Next you want use FileCommander to go BACK to your main drive (again, mine was named NAND FLASH) and navigate here...
NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files

In the files directory you will see two more directories, .kodi and .smb
With a mouse, click on the three dots way to the right of the .kodi dir. This gives you a bunch of choices, click 'copy.' It might take a minute or two or more to copy all that but it will tell you when it's done. Now you need to back out to the main FileCommander screen and click on your SD card again. Click on the 'kodi_data' directory that you made before and enter that directory. Now look at the TOP line of FileCommander windows (it's black) and on the right you will see white icons of a clipboard, magnifying glass, six squares, and three dots. Click on the clipboard and it will paste that .kodi directory into the kodi_data directory. This will take a while too.

(You might want to copy over the .smb directory too or you'll have to scan everything again, but I didn't do this so I'm not certain it will work).

Next get out of FileCommander, go to the SETTINGS icon in your android directory and click on the APPS button in there. Go down and clear the cache (not the data!). Back out of here to your main android screen and start kodi again. That should be it!

Once you are sure it's working you can delete the .kodi directory from NAND FLASH -> ANDROID -> data -> org.xbmc.kodi -> files which should free up a couple gigs. No more crashes for me after that! (knock on wood)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Change data location for Android not working3