• 72(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Are you using the Display Port directly or using an adapter from DP to HDMI, and then using an HDMI cable? It could probably be an adapter problem, I had that problem when I first got it.

And if that's not the case, I'm out of ideas, sorry...
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Well sorry, I am actually using the HP StreamMini with HDMI out directly, same hardware as the 260.
Dunno what else to tell you then, like I said, I'm out of ideas; sorry Sad

Hope you manage to find a solution. Good luck!
"Automobiles have been the best mêlée weapons to use against monsters since the 50s." - Atomic Robo
Yeah me too, seems like a Windows issue, but I dont see any solution for it so far, thanks anyway.
(2015-12-01, 23:26)Atinkler Wrote: Not great news there Sausage... you could have come baring better news :-)

I'll see how it goes but I do wonder why I'm even trying to change something that works really well as it is.. will I ever learn? NOPE!!

Mark142 .. what did you upgrade to?

Well maybe I should have waited until I sold the hp before saying this but I love the shield it's imho a far superior

The hp will be in sale v soon
I had a similar problem with my HP Pavilion Mini and it turned out that turning off CEC on my Samsung TV fixed it. Just a thought...
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2015-12-19, 01:27)Atinkler Wrote:
(2015-12-01, 23:26)Atinkler Wrote: Not great news there Sausage... you could have come baring better news :-)

I'll see how it goes but I do wonder why I'm even trying to change something that works really well as it is.. will I ever learn? NOPE!!

Mark142 .. what did you upgrade to?

Well maybe I should have waited until I sold the hp before saying this but I love the shield it's imho a far superior

The hp will be in sale v soon

I happen to have both, actually a few mini PCs and a few Android boxes including the Shield, for now the Shield is the best of them all. Flawless playback, pastrough with no issues whatsoever, the SOC can barely brake a sweat even with the 4K HEVC samples, I have to say probably the best buy for me this year. I wanted so much to have a fully functional mini PC that can do all things, but for that I have to buy a new receiver, which I dont want to do at the moment.
This is news to me, has android managed to catch up? Thought picture quality is always superior on Linux?
(2015-12-18, 10:43)LarrxX Wrote: Are you using the Display Port directly or using an adapter from DP to HDMI, and then using an HDMI cable? It could probably be an adapter problem, I had that problem when I first got it.

And if that's not the case, I'm out of ideas, sorry...

I've only just noticed that my setup is only passing through 2 channels. As you suggest here, I'm using an adapter from DP to HDMI.
You mentioned buying a different adapter solved thisHuh Could you confirm what sort of adapter I would need?

thanks
I bought a new DP to HDMI cable but still not having any luck. Slightly off topic but I'm unsure if it's even the cause.

I don't really know how to determine whether the issue is with my Audio (Sony n7200w), my TV (Samsung 50h6400) or the PC. Can anyone help or provide any troubleshooting steps to see what the cause is??
Thanks

EDIT:
reading this slightly dated topic http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1056368 suggests it could be my TV.
The lack of any optical ports on the G1 leaves me without any sort of solution so I'm just wondering how anyone is able to get a 5.1 solution working
(2016-03-27, 00:53)haribizzle Wrote: I bought a new DP to HDMI cable but still not having any luck. Slightly off topic but I'm unsure if it's even the cause.

I don't really know how to determine whether the issue is with my Audio (Sony n7200w), my TV (Samsung 50h6400) or the PC. Can anyone help or provide any troubleshooting steps to see what the cause is??
Thanks

EDIT:
reading this slightly dated topic http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1056368 suggests it could be my TV.
The lack of any optical ports on the G1 leaves me without any sort of solution so I'm just wondering how anyone is able to get a 5.1 solution working

Likely using something like the turtle beach adapter to get optical out on boxes like the G1. AKA one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036VO4X4/
I have no problems getting DTS HD MA, Dolby True HD, DD and DTS out of my HP 260 G1 in both Windows and OpenElec using a Displayport to HDMI converter, with the HDMI connected to the AVR. No need to use optical.

There were reports of some Displayport to HDMI converters not doing audio properly - though I'm not sure how that can happen given that they are effectively passive devices (with the GPU flipping into 'HDMI over Displayport' mode rather than converting Displayport video to HDMI, and the audio and video are carried on the same pins so if you get 2.0 there is no hardware reason not to get more than 2.0 via an adaptor?)

My first thought in these situations is always EDID. I'm guessing your 260G1 is plugged directly into your AVR and not via your TV using ARC (ARC will only support 2.0 and DD usually, with no HD Audio and usually no DTS). If your 260G1 is plugged directly into your amp, is your amp also configured to pass through audio to your TV? In some cases that can mean the TV's EDID overrides the Amp's EDID? (An early Blu-ray player I had would only output 5.1 PCM and when my AVR was configured not to send audio to the TV)

If you are connecting your 260G1 directly to your TV and not via your amp then of course you will only get 2.0 PCM (and possibly DD bitstreamed) only, whether you use optical out from your TV or ARC (which sends audio back from the TV to the Amp over the HDMI cable connecting the amp to your TV and is limited to 2.0/DD) The only way of getting full quality audio is to connect your HDMI feed to your amp directly. It appears that your amp only has 2 inputs though - so if you are full you may need an HDMI switcher before the amp. Also if this IS how you are connected, you may need to make sure your amp and TV are both on before you power up the 260G1 so that the EDID data is read from both devices. If this still doesn't work then you need to look at EDID override solutions. (EDID is the data that is sent form a display/amp to a source to report what formats it supports)
So I made some progress last night. The cable wasn't the issue. I simply had to plug the PC directly to the AV receiver.

However when I try to configure the properties of the Sound device in Windows 10, I try to setup 5.1 Surround but the output is actually 2.1.

I believe this is similar to trentbg above.

I have tried to update the Realtek driver but that didn't make a difference.
The Realtek driver won't be relevant for HDMI output, that's used for analogue and optical output (if present), it's the Intel HDMI driver that handles HDMI audio.

What are your settings in Kodi. You probably need to 'Passthrough' DD/DTS (and True HD/DTS HD) if you want to get 5.1 audio to work properly (this is sending the audio untouched to your amp for your amp to decode) and is configured in Kodi, not Windows, in System->Settings->Audio.

You may need to check that Expert settings are enabled in that menu to see the passthrough options. (You may also need to ensure that an option along the lines of 'Allow Applications Exclusive use' is ticked in Properties in the HDMI audio device in Windows Sound Control Panel though I think this usually works out of the box)
(2016-03-27, 11:31)noggin Wrote: The Realtek driver won't be relevant for HDMI output, that's used for analogue and optical output (if present), it's the Intel HDMI driver that handles HDMI audio.

What are your settings in Kodi. You probably need to 'Passthrough' DD/DTS (and True HD/DTS HD) if you want to get 5.1 audio to work properly (this is sending the audio untouched to your amp for your amp to decode) and is configured in Kodi, not Windows, in System->Settings->Audio.

You may need to check that Expert settings are enabled in that menu to see the passthrough options. (You may also need to ensure that an option along the lines of 'Allow Applications Exclusive use' is ticked in Properties in the HDMI audio device in Windows Sound Control Panel though I think this usually works out of the box)

thanks

I checked Kodi and the Passthrough options and DD/DTS are enabled. However it's not just limited to KODI. even when i use the setup from my screenshot above you can hear that its 2.1 audio (left sound comes out from both front and rear, same for the right).
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2