[REQUEST] Multi: Auto Resolution/RefreshRate
Hi, I've been using and following XBMC for quite a while, and using XBMC(Win) in my living room. -All my family members are very happy with XBMC, and esp my daughter using some of the video-plugins for watching TV-shows she have missed.
...Why the long story? Because I belive this is exacly what XBMC is meant to be, an entertainment centre - am I right? Wink

In my eyes there is one pretty important feature missing in video setting that allows to set up all the video-modes(resolution and refresh-rate) I wanne allow XBMC to auto-switch into when starting a new video.
This is because all modern TVs today have many resoultion/refresh-rate possebilities, but just a few meant for movie. -On my Samsung 7070 LED there are 1080p/720p running either 24, 25, 49 or 50Hz that gives me movie-mode(100Hz, vivid colors, extra options etc) on the TV. If the TV switches to 30/60Hz (or none 720p/1080p), the TV does not run in movie-mode anymore.
...Im sure lots of you know what Im saying here.

-Please, an enable/disable list of video/refresh-rate modes that XBMC would autoswitch into when playback of video would be great.
...any thoughts?

- trn76
You should test first how the movie-mode handles 30 fps video playing with the refreshrate set at 50 hertz.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You should test first how the movie-mode handles 30 fps video playing with the refreshrate set at 50 hertz.

Sure it works, locking the refreshrate setting in XBMC. This also means that to get proper frame-rate without stutter the movie speed goes up/down depending on source framerate, and the audio can be set to be resampled.
All these options are good and in play in my XBMC settings, but none of those options are ideal.. because the movie isnt really playing in the correct speed. -This is also why newer TV's also have the 24p movie mode (24fps/48) as most movies are 24fps.

As I said, new TVs today have just a few settings (resolution and refreshrate) for them to be able to operate in movie-mode, and getting XBMC to actually use those mode would make up/down speed and resample of audio unnecessary in most cases, and thus the movie experience accurate.

- trn76
Video speed doesn't change when you're playing 30 fps at 50 hertz, the maximum speed adjust for the resample synctype is 5%.
Can you please explain how you can syncronize 30Hz to 50Hz?

If you play a 30fps movie on 50Hz, it will stutter... All screens will, unless you syncronize it, no exception. -Isn't that why XBMC have implemented various forms for resampling(audio/video)? But this isnt ideal as we all should know, especially since we got various refresh-rates on our TV that are meant for movies.

I would be happy if I could even just set the usable resolutions/refreshrates in a config file.

- trn76
my ancient Westinghouse HDTV handles 24fps content at 60Hz just fine Smile
My 32" Sanyo LCD HDTV Plays perfect at 60Hz
If your 60Hz TV play 24fps fine, why have some TVs 24p mode then(running 48/96Hz)?
I know it "plays fine" as you say, that is just as bad as on my monitor, or TV in 60Hz...and this is shit to be honest when you actually know how a movie looks like in movie-mode.

So again, how do you sync 30Hz to 50Hz without getting overlaps?
Go to a friends house who actually have a TV with 100Hz and 24p, and run a few movies. Try switching update-rates and modes on the TV and be enlighted.

Sounds to me you guys dont belive me, thats kinda funny...

- trn76
trn76 Wrote:So again, how do you sync 30Hz to 50Hz without getting overlaps?
You don't, you set the refreshrate to 60 hertz, but for some reason you want to disable that, that's why I asked you how well your tv handles 30 fps playing at 50 hertz.

In this case you have three options:

- Play 30 fps video at 60 hertz without movie mode.
- Play 30 fps video at 50 hertz with movie mode and judder.
- Slow down 30 fps video to 25 and play it at 50 hertz (requires a small change in the code), getting a 16,7% pitch shift in the audio (horrible).

Note that any 24 and 25 fps video is fine, because xbmc's adjust refreshrate setting will change the refreshrate to 24 and 50 hertz.
bobo1on1 Wrote:You don't, you set the refreshrate to 60 hertz, but for some reason you want to disable that, that's why I asked you how well your tv handles 30 fps playing at 50 hertz.

In this case you have three options:

- Play 30 fps video at 60 hertz without movie mode.
- Play 30 fps video at 50 hertz with movie mode and judder.
- Slow down 30 fps video to 25 and play it at 50 hertz (requires a small change in the code), getting a 16,7% pitch shift in the audio (horrible).

Note that any 24 and 25 fps video is fine, because xbmc's adjust refreshrate setting will change the refreshrate to 24 and 50 hertz.

Sorry for the delay.
Well, my TV plays 30fps at 50Hz just as good/bad as every other TV. -That is really not good compared to what you get when you have both movie and TV synced.
Again, it is just a suggested request to implement a list of modes that XBMC can use, so that the end user can experiense the best possible experience.

Anyways, XBMC is the best HTPC solution thanks to you guys, so keep it up Big Grin

- trn76
We have that in trunk now for the refreshrates: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...3Cvideo.3E
Mpc hc has feature that automatically adjust different refresh rate for tv depending source refresh rate.

That would be nice feature for zbmc also..
XBMC has been able to do that for almost two years.
fraatti Wrote:Mpc hc has feature that automatically adjust different refresh rate for tv depending source refresh rate.

That would be nice feature for zbmc also..

Yes mpc hc has this feature, but it doesn ´t work for me at all. The final solution was to setup refresh rate manually and then run mpc hc to have movie without tearing. ( something like :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbrjk-wgXAI )
I have similar problems with xbmc too but magicall option 'Use a fullscreen Window rather than true Fullscreen' solve all Laugh . MPC HC has not such an option, all seems to be handled through full screen window (D3D full screen doesn´t help)

Yes, it is possible I am not able to setup mpc hc in appropriate way Rofl , I tried it with :
1 Media Player Classic HomeCinema (x86/x64), 1.4.2660 02.10.2010
2 Media Player Classic HomeCinema (x86/x64), 1.4.2646 29.09.2010

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Multi: Auto Resolution/RefreshRate0