• 3(current)
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
Getting XBMC to work with mythtv is probably a two-step problem of a difficulty that is probably either way above or way below my expectations.

1. Get XBMC to talk to MythTv's backend (or just it's database) to find out what recorded programs are available.
2. Make sure that XBMC has the ability to play (and fastforward/rewind) those programs, and manage what programs are available.

It's probably not trivial, but it probably wouldn't be too time intensive either.

Either way, it would probably take someone familiar with XBMC and MythTV to pull it off right.

Also there is the problem of selecting shows to record, but that can probably be done with the web interface in the short term.
I think I'm being misunderstood a little. I'm not saying that XBMC should play back Myth's recorded shows, ie replace its front end entirely. What I'm saying is, it would replace Myth's media management functionality and plugins such as MythVideo and MythMusic (or whatever the audio handler in Myth is called).

My vision / question is, when you launch your MythTV frontend, you see no sign of XBMC. It's only when you click on 'my music' or 'my videos' from the Myth frontend that you're launching XBMC's media management. When you "B out" of the My Music section you're returned to the main dashboard, in this case MythTV.

Nick8888, sorry, I have a habit of not trusting most forums' search functions. I'll use it more in the future. Big Grin
jerkychew Wrote:My vision / question is, when you launch your MythTV frontend, you see no sign of XBMC. It's only when you click on 'my music' or 'my videos' from the Myth frontend that you're launching XBMC's media management. When you "B out" of the My Music section you're returned to the main dashboard, in this case MythTV.
Then you should post your ideas on MythTV forums instead of here. I see no reason why anyone who used XBMC would want to do it that way, (certainly not anyone on Team-XBMC).

In any case, please respect that we do not yet accept any feature requests for the Linux port of XBMC. Thanks!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
jerkychew Wrote:My vision / question is, when you launch your MythTV frontend, you see no sign of XBMC. It's only when you click on 'my music' or 'my videos' from the Myth frontend that you're launching XBMC's media management. When you "B out" of the My Music section you're returned to the main dashboard, in this case MythTV.

How about the other way around? Use MythTV for almost everything, but when you need to schedule new shows, have it call the MythTV frontend. It seems like a better way to me.
erk. no edit. Here's the corrected version:

How about the other way around? Use XBMC for almost everything, but when you need to schedule new shows, have it call the MythTV frontend. It seems like a better way to me.
elupus Wrote:well i've been thinking of adding support for being a little bit of a frontend, atleast listing current recorded stuff, start live playback and such.

It would be so awesome to see something like that Smile

And I agree with Gamester17, if something like this was added, I'd want the exact opposite, I wouldn't want to know what is doing the tv integration, and it should be completely like XBMC.
No. More likely, this would be the concept used if any (XBMC frontend = GUI, MythTV backend = background service):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28918

Still, no programmers have yet to volunteer for that idea.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've just noticed this in the last svn rev:

Quote:r11410 | elupus | 2008-01-24 22:10:17 +0100 (jue, 24 ene 2008) | 4 lines

added: basic mythtv backend support. currently only recorded shows are working properly, live streams fail to start.
use a share like myth://user:pass@hostname/ for the share since there is no browsing for available server currently.
enable using --enable-gmyth on configure line. requires glib-2.0, gobject-2.0, gthread-2.0, curl, gmyth

Whooo, way to go!!!
FYI for those of you looking to try this out, I'm having difficulties installing gmyth cleanly on ubuntu gutsy. gmyth.sourceforge.net has .deb files, and I can install them, but I get errors when running gmyth-ls indicating that gmyth is depending on libssl-0.9.7 when gutsy has 0.9.8. After uninstalling that, I grabbed the tarball and installed it, but that yielded errors during the xbmc build coming out of cstdlib ::realloc -- which I really do not understand. Uninstalling the tarball lets me build cleanly again.

I'll post again if I figure this out, or perhaps I'll get sleepy and leave it for later :-)
XBMC machine: ABIT AN-M2HD with nVidia 7050 onboard (Ubuntu Hardy + latest nVidia driver), AMD Athlon BE-2350, Microsoft MCE IR Remote, Logitech PS3 USB keyboard, 33w idle, 53w max, 720p plasma over HDMI
XBMC + full DVB-S2 funcionality would be really ultimate solution.
That would not only replace my Xbox but also DVB-S tuner Big Grin
Regards,
Embrion
I don't think that will ever happen.

MythTV backend with DVB-S2 and XBMC Frontend is a more realistic solution. Of course, this will also replace your Xbox and DVB-S tuner given that the backend and frontend will work in the same machine.
But I'm talking about this option [XBMC everything + MythTV DVB-S backend] Smile
XBMC frontend is the best and with DVB-S2 capabilities it would be double the best Wink
Regards,
Embrion
Hm, I personally would like to see an integration of VDR instead of MythTV - the recording and live tv functions are just so much better and very stable.
Well, I don't care which soft will do the dirt job, as long as it supports at least one DVB-S2 card and PMCAM (Poor Man's CAM). PMCAM is really a must have because it can be integrated with Phoenix card reader ( 10 times cheper than normal CAM module cost ). PMCAM is open source btw. (http://joshyfun.peque.org/PMCAM2/index.html)
Regards,
Embrion
Quote:Hm, I personally would like to see an integration of VDR instead of MythTV - the recording and live tv functions are just so much better and very stable.

Jep. I think VDR would do a wonderful job. As MythTV already has a full Backend/Frontend System i would like to see a way of using Network VDR Servers natively from within XBMC.

@devs .. any plans on this?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC1