• 42(current)
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
I dont want to set up a linux boox just as a tv backend.

I think a more generic interface, that could be set up for different backends would be better.
The team is walking down the road of supporting TV in XBMC, currently playing mythtv is as easy as adding source myth://user:pass@ip if you have the server set up correctly. Though theres much missing ie schedualing recordings and manage recordings in a super great way (just a big list now), but plain play of recordings and play of livetv works.

The thing we want is the crossplattform way and support a number of different backends no matter the OS XBMC runs on, so mythtv is the starting point but on trac there is a patch for media portals tv-server and at some point Im sure an osx equavilant will pop up.

some read:
Incase you havent read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_-_Unified_PVR_Frontend
and:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28918
as well as:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34186

Namely
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Silly foreigners and your 15m scheduling blocks. And TURN ON VSYNC!
althekiller Wrote:Silly foreigners and your 15m scheduling blocks. And TURN ON VSYNC!

ssssssssss Nerd! Big Grin
Topfs2 Wrote:The team is walking down the road of supporting TV in XBMC, currently playing mythtv is as easy as adding source myth://user:pass@ip if you have the server set up correctly. Though theres much missing ie schedualing recordings and manage recordings in a super great way (just a big list now), but plain play of recordings and play of livetv works.

The thing we want is the crossplattform way and support a number of different backends no matter the OS XBMC runs on, so mythtv is the starting point but on trac there is a patch for media portals tv-server and at some point Im sure an osx equavilant will pop up.

some read:
Incase you havent read this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_-_Unified_PVR_Frontend
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post251506

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34186

Thanks for the reading tips and I must say it looks very interesting.
I have one concern and that is the zapping time when using streaming. You tell me cause I have never tried this...

I unsuccessfully tried out the Tubox client for my Dreambox 600 PVR but only got a very jerky picture as a final result, nevertheless the cashing time was a pain in the but to say the least. Satellite TV is is slow as it is and adding an extra delaying factor will have a bad impact on the user experience. THAT is my only concern.

Cause how I understand it is that you are streaming the picture/sound/metadata from the PVR server to the XBMC client. XBMC is parcing that information into a interface. That is the whole idea right? Cause you want the encoding to happen elsewhere and on not on cllient/XBMC side it self...?

I'm not a programmer but surly there must be a big difference between streaming from a PVR server and actually having built in hardware support for DVB cards in the actual XBMC. Basically you don't have to stream from one box to another and it is less hardware intensive...

On the other hand creating an API for easy PVR server integration makes sense. As I said my only concern is the zapping time if using streaming protocol between PVR server and the client. Have you ever been to a hotel that has IP TV and pay per view services? Sometimes it could take up to 4-5 seconds to zap between channels... different solution all together but worth thinking about. Otherwise we gonna have a big chunk of the XBMC community going heavy on the Losec (Ulcer medicine) Smile

Tell me if I'm wrong, but what if you could integrate the MythTV logic/hardware support straight into XBMC instead? Wouldn't that make more sense? With that kind of solution, at least in the beginning, you might have to limit the hardware support to a number of devices but maybe it is worth the scarify..? You can still create the API... Some kind of MythTV light engine without the interface.

Cheers
XBMC is a Client foremost, and has always been. With our proposed solution, you can still run MythTV "server" on same PC as XBMC, this beats integrated on so many levels
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sorry for the cross posting. Feel free to comment.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=41910

Cheers
any chance of letting us schedule recordings on ORB ?, I can already watch live and recorded tv as a upnp device.
b7ll Wrote:any chance of letting us schedule recordings on ORB ?, I can already watch live and recorded tv as a upnp device.

Yeah. That would be great.
I finally got my xbox to play the mythtv stuff!! yippee!

I used the advanced settings as shown:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<hosts>
  <entry name="mediabox">192.168.1.2</entry>
</hosts>
<video>
<defaultplayer>mplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Thanks to everyone who works on this I will be replacing my bedroom mythfrontend with my old xbox!!

I'm having and early night and watching some tv...
fArGo Wrote:Yeah. That would be great.

why the edit ? (i did read the original response)
I know that orb probably isnt the best way of streaming tv, but I only use it to steam to my laptop, otherwise, i can just turn the tv on. The point being made is that the people developing the software would preffer to integrate with existing sollutions, and keep xbmc cross platform, rather than limiting it to linux, which some people like and some dont.
b7ll Wrote:why the edit ? (i did read the original response)
I know that orb probably isnt the best way of streaming tv, but I only use it to steam to my laptop, otherwise, i can just turn the tv on. The point being made is that the people developing the software would preffer to integrate with existing sollutions, and keep xbmc cross platform, rather than limiting it to linux, which some people like and some dont.

I think if the team would focus on XBMC being a good/perfect MythTV client - by improving the mythtv client code for better playback, EPG, Recording UI etc.. then its up to the rest of the community to to prepare multiplatform myth-backend or similar, and I'm sure such technologies can be support as they become available and more widely used.

I think the Myth platform is pretty much a worthy service to have good XBMC client support, at the moment I'll settle for accessing the Myth UPNP server, and using the advanced "mythtv://" protocol glued together with MythWeb for sheduling recordings etc.. atleast i can watch live tv on my AppleTV and i'm soooo happy with that - yes it would be loved to have seamless support and I'd help if i could wrap my small little head around the huge codebase,

my 2cents
I run XBMC Linux together with a MythTV backend (DVB-C ComHem) running on same machine. Currently, I'm only interested in the LiveTV functionality. It works fine functionality wise, but a channel change is way to slow, around 15seconds for scrambled channels (all channels are scrambled).

I believe that the bottleneck is either the hardware (Technotrend c-1501) or the MythTV backend. Any ideas how I can speed up the channel change? Maybe not right forum? Smile
tsint Wrote:I believe that the bottleneck is either the hardware (Technotrend c-1501) or the MythTV backend. Any ideas how I can speed up the channel change? Maybe not right forum? Smile

I have never setup the as you have but is sounds slow for being streaming. Maybe lowering the cash size in xbmc will help you out...?

No bottleneck in the network? Are you using fixed IP, do that? Have you tried to tweak the your MythTV backend?

I whish XBMC change their philosophy aiming to be a client rather than a full fetched HTPC application with native support for TV cards, just like Mediaportal. By the way have you tried Mediaportal? If so please let me know what your experience is.
@fArGo
You should probably re-read Pike's response on the previous page, it seems to me that his answer was clear that the goal is to create a one-size-fits-all client so that any backend system can be used to their frontend be it MP or MythTV, etc. I tend to agree with him too, XBMC has always been a step ahead because of their versatility and simplicity.

EDIT: Apparently reading is either not your strong point or you're reading something other than your native language because tsint was specific that he is running both backend and frontent on the same machine which would eliminate IP issues. I'll assume by the used of 'fixed' instead of static ip that english is not your native language and give you the benefit of the doubt.
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC1