File Location info on Movie/Video view

Hello Everyone!

I have exhausted my searches on google or even find a write up about my question.
Not sure if its possible, if it has been asked before.

I have alot of Hard drives scanned into Kodi that are appropriately named with lots of movies...Big Grin

I want to see if its possible to add/modify or trick in Kodi, to when I'm scanning thru my library it will display the location of the movie file as shown below.

There is an option to right click on movie to view "Movie information" it shows the path but does not identify the hard drive.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Indeed possible. See http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184403
I don't think it really is possible within Kodi -- probably need to write an addon for this. I don't think there is any place in Kodi where there is a link between a source or its logical folder structure and its hardware storage. Of course you could "hard code" a link such that drive E: is known to be a certain hard drive, assuming in your OS drive "E" always represents the same hardware. Kodi I don't think is designed to deal with removable storage devices (like iPods for example) so this probably isn't such a big limitation.

scott s.
(2015-07-15, 22:43)scott967 Wrote: I don't think it really is possible within Kodi -- probably need to write an addon for this. I don't think there is any place in Kodi where there is a link between a source or its logical folder structure and its hardware storage. Of course you could "hard code" a link such that drive E: is known to be a certain hard drive, assuming in your OS drive "E" always represents the same hardware. Kodi I don't think is designed to deal with removable storage devices (like iPods for example) so this probably isn't such a big limitation.

scott s.

Scott, why would Ned say it is possible and you say not? Am I missing something?

"so this probably isn't such a big limitation" well to me it is a big limitation, Kodi is installed on my HTPC, I can only plug in one HD at a time, when you have all HD's scanned into the library, over 1000 movies, it is difficult to find out in which HD the movie is located in. If you click to play a movie and its not found in the current HD plugged in, you're prompted if you want to delete the entry. If it had a "location pointer" it would make this so much simpler....
(2015-07-15, 23:49)Movie.Addict Wrote:
(2015-07-15, 22:43)scott967 Wrote: I don't think it really is possible within Kodi -- probably need to write an addon for this. I don't think there is any place in Kodi where there is a link between a source or its logical folder structure and its hardware storage. Of course you could "hard code" a link such that drive E: is known to be a certain hard drive, assuming in your OS drive "E" always represents the same hardware. Kodi I don't think is designed to deal with removable storage devices (like iPods for example) so this probably isn't such a big limitation.

scott s.

Scott, why would Ned say it is possible and you say not? Am I missing something?

"so this probably isn't such a big limitation" well to me it is a big limitation, Kodi is installed on my HTPC, I can only plug in one HD at a time, when you have all HD's scanned into the library, over 1000 movies, it is difficult to find out in which HD the movie is located in. If you click to play a movie and its not found in the current HD plugged in, you're prompted if you want to delete the entry. If it had a "location pointer" it would make this so much simpler....

I think Ned and I interpreted the original question somewhat differently, and that's why we gave different opinions. My answer was informed by how another media library (media monkey) works. MM in its database ties the media folder structure to specific hardware device by a serial number or other unique identifier (don't know how it works for things other than hard drives, but that's the idea). Kodi doesn't have anything like this (at least that I can see) so I don't see any easy way to get that functionality. Kodi relies on a "path" or URI which as far as I know is dependent on the OS/file system used to implement. So if you can make your path unique to a specific piece of hardware then you could get what I think you need.

scott s.
(2015-07-16, 20:24)scott967 Wrote:
(2015-07-15, 23:49)Movie.Addict Wrote:

scott s.

I think Ned and I interpreted the original question somewhat differently, and that's why we gave different opinions. My answer was informed by how another media library (media monkey) works. MM in its database ties the media folder structure to specific hardware device by a serial number or other unique identifier (don't know how it works for things other than hard drives, but that's the idea). Kodi doesn't have anything like this (at least that I can see) so I don't see any easy way to get that functionality. Kodi relies on a "path" or URI which as far as I know is dependent on the OS/file system used to implement. So if you can make your path unique to a specific piece of hardware then you could get what I think you need.

scott s.

Scott, Thank You! Image
Well all my hard drives have a name, HD1, HD2, HD3, ect... if that name can be associated with movie files in library and displayed it would be fantastic! ...dont know if I can pull that off Confused

MovieLabel has an entry "Location", where you can manually set/tag the movie file location, it does not scan it, I have to tag it manually. I can select multiple files and apply location all at once so that saves alot of time. Maybe I can do something similar in Kodi?

Thank You
You can assign folders to disks. Then you get a unique path for each disk.
http://www.ghacks.net/2008/03/28/assign-...-a-folder/
Again, look here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184403

You make the tag icons for your skin and they show up as media tags for HD1, HD2, etc, and you don't have to rename anything because the tags use the file path to figure out what gets tagged.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Location info on Movie/Video view0